advertisement

Fancy a steak and chips down the pub

Why do people moan about the cost of anything? You aren't being forced to pay it are you? Who cares if some folk want to pay £90 for a steak and chips?

I agree when it comes to discretionary purchases (which is what we're talking about here). What really boils my blood is when some b*st*rds bribe the government to extort you for an essential service (e.g. travel PCR testing in the UK, or pretty much all medical services in the US). However that's not under discussion here.

Why do people moan about the cost of anything? You aren't being forced to pay it are you? Who cares if some folk want to pay £90 for a steak and chips?

Because this is pathetic one-up-manship, grow up and face real world problems, silly boys.

Bloss

PS: I am not inebriated btw, before you accuse me.

IFBTJB

Last edited:

Not really bothered, but when the proprietors make up some bullshit excuses to justify what they're charging then it's a valid discussion.

It's bollocks, obscene really. Not impressed by the way the chef/proprietor tried to defend the absurd price by stating that it includes VAT, as if every other restaurant didn't, not to mention the insinuation that he pays staff more than other decent restaurants when he doesn't.

I've friends who were taken in by the Kerridge TV persona and booked a table there, said it was one of the most disappointing and expensive meals they've ever had, folk not unused to eating out well.

I tend to find that the enjoyment you experience a restaurant is often inversely proportionate to expectation, thus the more ambitious, starry and 'exclusive' the restaurant, the greater its capacity to disappoint. Conversely, some of the most memorable meals out that I have had have been where I have had no particular expectations - an impromptu drop in at The Sportsman at Seasalter for lunch ('you can bring the dogs in, they'll be fine') when I had a run down to Canterbury to get my guitar adjusted by Alisdair Atkin - when I phoned to tell him I had stopped there for lunch, he asked me to tell the landlord that his guitar was ready. It was only when I looked it up afterwards that I learned it had a Michelin star, a hefty reputation and 6 a month waiting list; an evening at The Frog in its original pop-up incarnation in the barrel yard behind the old Truman brewery in Shoreditch, and many more, both here and away. Sept (and several others) in Girona, Locanda dell'Arco in Cissone, and a funny little canteen in the back streets of Alba where there was no menu, you shared your table with strangers, and the food was amazing.

To me the greatest culinary pleasure is to cook something very common, and then find out that one of the products is of surprisingly good quality. This happens rarely enough.

In recent years we tend to cook in the most simple way possible, the days of spicy Indian food are behind us. Nowadays we can be delighted at the taste of a perfectly cooked potato, good cabbage, or homegrown tomatoes or green beans. No need to cheat in any way, add a little butter and salt, or olive oil if you prefer. Why so complicated.

God, how delicious a f-ing potato can be.

Eating out is a luxury. Nobody is forced to eat out ...

Thus the debate about how much some establishments charge is moot.

You can buy wholesome food for very little if you choose with care. It might be a scandal if bread were to double in price, or other basics ... over a short time ...

The last time I did eat out was when a an old friend decided to call by and take me to a local public house, which actually does do very nice food. I was horrified that the bill for two of us was close to £40. I am out of touch of course. That was earlier this summer. I last time I had a pub lunch before that was in 2020. Sunday roast, and very nice it was, and certainly not expensive.

Carping about expensive restaurants is no more sensible than moaning about expensive luxury cars, hifi, cameras, wrist watches, or anything else that is entirely discretionary.

First world problems and all that.

Best wishes from George

Lussmans, a local restaurant chain (4 or so establishments) provides the opportunity to pay a discretionary 12.5% service charge, apparently tax free for all staff.
£100 for a good meal for two, including a few glasses of vino, that makes sense to me.

Bloss

IFBTJB

advertisement

Back