advertisement

Falcon Acoustics re-introduce the Q7 MiniMonitor.

I have been using Danish oil, I'm on about 10 coats but with each coat they just keep getting better so am going to carry on for another few coats.
The Falcon cabinets are lovely quality, but the matt finish on the walnut made it a bit one dimensional
Was there a surface finish of some kind that had to be removed before you applied the Danish oil? Or, did you apply oil directly, without any preparation?

No surface finish. They obviously need to be clean and dust free. Apply with lint free cloth, sparingly for the first few coats. Leave on for up to 5 minutes, then polish with another clean, dry, lint free cloth. Make sure you polish thoroughly everywhere or the oil will dry. If it dries this can be gently removed with very fine wet and dry.
Sounds scary but isn't, I haven't had to remove any excess residue.

This is basically what you would do with a deal wood kitchen worktop. It creates a protective coat over the veneer but more importantly it provides a stunning finish. I've put on another coat today, looks fabulous, they now look like very expensive speakers as well as sounding like them.

any doubts, try the rear or the underside first for a few coats. I'm using Parrs natural wood finish Danish oil.

Incoming gold Q7 with tygan grills for me :)

My first real speakers were ProAc SC1.
Unfortunately I let them go after several years and jumped on the speaker merry go around.

Tried a bit of everything from DiY Altec to Klipsch, fullrange stuff, 2ways and what not. Currently listening to a Fostex Fe127 EnaBl in tandberg sythem11 cabs. Classy looking and great sounding… lucky accident I guess.

And I have come to realize that as a very general rule I prefer small bookshelfs to large floorstanders.
Might be the rooms or the speakers I had, but that is were I am at right now.

Ls3/5a and derivatives have always peaked my interest, and even though I never heard them, I strongly suspect they are my jam. Based on my music taste of jazz, acoustic, 60/70s, small scale and readings, they are on my bucket list together with Maggies and some 300b (totally incompatible).

Wrote to falcon, and jerry was very responsive and helpful. So the order was placed.
But here is the kicker….
Due to the summer approaching, vacation, and general shipping I asked for the speakers to be shipped out by end of August!
That’s right, I have almost 2 months to look forward to. Waited many years to try them out, I think I will enjoy the wait!

Have a lot of waxes, wood finishes and danish oil in my workshop. Am very tempted to follow Markl56’s lead and threat them prior to installing the drivers. But will not do 13 coats… that number doesn’t sit well on me.

Last edited:
Incoming gold Q7 with tygan grills for me :)

My first real speakers were ProAc SC1.
Unfortunately I let them go after several years and jumped on the speaker merry go around.

Tried a bit of everything from DiY Altec to Klipsch, fullrange stuff, 2ways and what not. Currently listening to a Fostex Fe127 EnaBl in tandberg sythem11 cabs. Classy looking and great sounding… lucky accident I guess.

And I have come to realize that as a very general rule I prefer small bookshelfs to large floorstanders.
Might be the rooms or the speakers I had, but that is were I am at right now.

Ls3/5a and derivatives have always peaked my interest, and even though I never heard them, I strongly suspect they are my jam. Based on my music taste of jazz, acoustic, 60/70s, small scale and readings, they are on my bucket list together with Maggies and some 300b (totally incompatible).

Wrote to falcon, and jerry was very responsive and helpful. So the order was placed.
But here is the kicker….
Due to the summer approaching, vacation, and general shipping I asked for the speakers to be shipped out by end of August!
That’s right, I have almost to months to look forward to. Waited many years to try them out, I think I will enjoy the wait!

Have a lot of waxes, wood finishes and danish oil in my workshop. Am very tempted to follow Markl56’s lead and threat them prior to installing the drivers. But will not do 13 coats… that number doesn’t sit well on me.
Patience is definitely a virtue! They really take a while to run in and sound quite thin initially, so be prepared! It's worth it, once set-up there's not much like them

No surface finish. They obviously need to be clean and dust free. Apply with lint free cloth, sparingly for the first few coats. Leave on for up to 5 minutes, then polish with another clean, dry, lint free cloth. Make sure you polish thoroughly everywhere or the oil will dry. If it dries this can be gently removed with very fine wet and dry.
Sounds scary but isn't, I haven't had to remove any excess residue.

This is basically what you would do with a deal wood kitchen worktop. It creates a protective coat over the veneer but more importantly it provides a stunning finish. I've put on another coat today, looks fabulous, they now look like very expensive speakers as well as sounding like them.

any doubts, try the rear or the underside first for a few coats. I'm using Parrs natural wood finish Danish oil.

Every brand has their own formula for Danish oil, in other words Danish oil from brand A is not necessarily the same as the Danish oil from brand B. Its the reason I eventually stopped using it as a wood finish: Initially the brand I used dried pretty hard and later it stayed soft, "improved version", NO! not for me.

I've been impressed with the Renaissance wax over the top of the Falcon finish, I would not hesistate to do the same again. I particularly like the idea of it being totally removeable and when not handled it can protect 5 to 10 years before needing another coat. No finger marks but they are a bit slippery afterwards ;).

My gold badge Q7s have been a complete joy over the last 7 months. From the first day I set them up nearfield I could feel contentment settling on on me. Since then Solidsteel SS-7 stands and a decent run in have cemented the notion that I'm where I want to be and happy to stay.

The Tannoy Devons that I intended to complement the Q7s with for "big" music sit forlornly in the corner with less than 20 hours use out of them. I really do need to relieve the poor things of their misery.

I'm using the Q7s with a Sugden A21SE and, out of habit, point Roon at the Radio 3 stream for the first 20 minutes of warm up time. Lost count of the nights where the noise during and especially after those 20 mins is so sublime that I stay on that stream all night. That's despite a server full of music and a Qobuz subscription.

This enhancement of the Q7s cabinets has intrigued me.
I only ever use Pledge on my V3s and Beeswax on my old BC1s.
Danish oil looks like something worth trying.

Is there any sonic benefit of the Tygan grills or is it about authenticity or aesthectics?

With the LS3/5A yes for sure. They are all part of the treble and dispersion engineering along with the four felt pads surrounding the T27. They are part of the BBC specification. No idea about the Q7, best ask Jerry at Falcon. He’ll give you an honest answer.

With the LS3/5A yes for sure. They are all part of the treble and dispersion engineering along with the four felt pads surrounding the T27. They are part of the BBC specification. No idea about the Q7, best ask Jerry at Falcon. He’ll give you an honest answer.

Cheers Tony, I believe the Q7s don't have the felt pads. Just researching at this stage, I won't be buying unti later in the year.

Cheers BB

Many of the Falcons’ competitors ( if that’s the correct term ) don’t use a felt square around the tweeter.
The Graham Audio Chartwell LS3/5a comes to mind.
They are certainly superb loudspeakers.

Cheers Tony, I believe the Q7s don't have the felt pads. Just researching at this stage, I won't be buying unti later in the year.

Cheers BB

When I bought mine Jerry expressed the view that Tygan made no worthwhile difference. I was buying the speaker on its own merits so I opted against, on the basis that it wasn't an LS3/5A and I was happy for it to be itself.

I have a small regret in that regular material is so thin that you can see some of the bass cone behind it and, in certain lights, there is a reflection that looks like a mark on the material itself. I think that is the only fault with these i've found;)

I might one day get around to ordering a pair of Tygan replacements. Happy to loan our my regular grilles for a trial when that day arrives.

I wish the Q7s I had on home demo had been supplied with Tygan grilles in addition to the stock shear grilles as I'd have been able to measure them to confirm exactly how much more HF they attenuate. Perhaps another Q7 owner is in a position to perform such a measurement? ;)

@raysablade, if the grille frame is deep enough you could perhaps cut a thin piece of acoustically-transparent foam to size and push it into place behind the shear fabric to make the fabric appear more opaque? 5mm might be too thick but I've seen acoustically-transparent foam as thin as 3mm, though 5mm is easier to source.

advertisement

Back