advertisement

Falcon Acoustics re-introduce the Q7 MiniMonitor.

That is exactly what I was getting confused with, the ‘Raymond Cooke Edition’ or something. They were shiny with a gold plaque on the back too IIRC.

You are correct, and similarly-attired versions of the 104/2 and 107/2 were marketed alongside it. No difference sonically though.

I’ve always understood that, but it doesn’t make it right to use the wrong material
for a speaker which should meet the BBC spec.
Mind you, Harbeth use MDF almost exclusively as far as I know.

Mind you, Harbeth use MDF almost exclusively as far as I know.

I’d argue the Harbeth of today have nothing more than a visual/marketing link to BBC research. Pretty much every design aspect is Alan Shaw. The only remaining element is screwed-on baffles and cabinet backs, but as the materials are so different that becomes a choice within an entirely new design. Not knocking it, he can sell whatever he wishes to sell and he clearly has a successful market, but to my mind it is a hell of a stretch to describe a Harbeth as a BBC design when the drivers, cabinets and crossovers are now all so distant from BBC research.

MDF is easier and therefore cheaper to work with than birch ply...

The BBC's LS3/5A cabinet is responsible for about half the cost of the speaker: The cabinet alone costs as much as a complete comparable speaker cost that's made from MDF.

Harbeth is apparently unique as if veneers both the inside and outside of their boxes.

Harbeths in our country are double the price of the Q7 but if they were made from baltic birch then they would be four times the price. IMHO veneer over baltic birch will outlive veneer over MDF, especially in a warm humid climate. ("land of the long white cloud")

Gold?? hummm... not a proper Ls3/5a, according to some.

God I wouldn't want a conversation with someone who actually held a view on what was and what wasn't was a proper LS3/5a.

I normally say many things in flippancy and humour, but not this !

Some people ( mainly Far East collectors ) prefer to buy a very old pair of Chartwells or Rogers, in preference to a brand new pair of Falcons...

Some people ( mainly Far East collectors ) prefer to buy a very old pair of Chartwells or Rogers, in preference to a brand new pair of Falcons...

Hi Martyn, I get that, the collector dimension thing. I'd much rather have a new in spec. pair rather than worry about further deterioration of originals. If they are indeed used that is ?!

I'm not sure they are used, Ian.
I saw an image of 16 pairs (!) on a table.
With spotlights shining on them.
Out of the picture there was someone genuflecting towards them.
Or so I understand.
Mark Hennesy feels some have a quasi-religious attitude towards the LS3/5a.
He may well be correct...

Well, there's liking a speaker and erm, liking a speaker +1 !
The collector bit is understandable though, a table is a table but an antique one has value. Same as art etc I suppose.
But genuflecting, that's brilliant. Then again. Listen to us lot banging on !

advertisement

Back