advertisement

Falcon Acoustics re-introduce the Q7 MiniMonitor.

You could make a little money, if you wished to, selling the grilles.
They are unavailable from Falcon Acoustics at the present time.
I had a couple of spare pairs, but sold them.
Bad move...

My understanding is that the tweeter screen was sourced from Celestion, it's from their HF2000.
Celestion design but made in Mitcham by a metal bashing company who directly supplied Rogers and Harbeth, possibly Spendor. 50p each then!

You could make a little money, if you wished to, selling the grilles.
They are unavailable from Falcon Acoustics at the present time.
I had a couple of spare pairs, but sold them.
Bad move...
I'd need to get creative with a pair of wire cutters to shape this:
s-l300.jpg

Into this:
s-l400.jpg

Or, simply do what I did with my IMF MCR2A's and cheat by attaching the HF2000 grilles with four carefully positioned blobs of blu-tac ;):
50884836667_a76eb93d4f_c.jpg

Not easy to cut the slots neatly with wire cutters.
When I spoke with our engineer in the Chemistry Dept. he speculated the slots were cut
on a vertical cutter.

As I mentioned, I didn’t go ahead with getting them made.
Doug Stirling provided them.

Re age and value: I feel loudspeakers are like pianos- they don’t improve with age and I’d rather put the money into new models faithful to the original design spec.
MDF vs plywood- I’ve had a number of Harbeths and the HL-K6 ES which was nextel painted on MDF was a truly superb speaker.

eBait is your friend for the tweeter grilles.

Speaking of oBoy! : A pair of Rogers Gold Badge "for parts or not working" are for sale for GBP 15,000.00. One has rusted screws on the drivers, the other does not so likely at some stage some replacements perhaps? No returns. Take that for what it is worth. Run, don't just walk, away from that....

And one more from ePray: Saw a Chinese remark that the B110 is the same for the 11 as for the 15 ohm versions, duh....

Last edited:
I had the good fortune of acquiring a handful of new old stock HF2000 units last year (from Texas of all places!). I took a leap of faith as they were an untested barn find.

what an exciting find! Was that pure serendipity, or do you often prowl farm auctions and barn dances seeking audiophile treasure?

what an exciting find! Was that pure serendipity, or do you often prowl farm auctions and barn dances seeking audiophile treasure?
Nothing quite so exciting unfortunately, - located through the usual eBay. When I enquired about the single unit listed the seller informed me he had another six available I became rather giddy! How often does one find a single NOS 45 year-old drive unit let alone seven??!!

The seller also had seventeen (yes, 17!) NOS Falcon Acoustics 'Model 6B' crossovers, which I believe were for the HiFi Answers Transmission Line Design. I was tempted to take them but they would've pushed the shipping cost and import duty up significantly, and as I had no use for them I passed on them as I wasn't sure I'd be able to move them on... I could've probably found a buyer for one or two pairs but not eight!!!

I'd need to get creative with a pair of wire cutters to shape this:
s-l300.jpg

Into this:
s-l400.jpg

Or, simply do what I did with my IMF MCR2A's and cheat by attaching the HF2000 grilles with four carefully positioned blobs of blu-tac ;):

Go on digikey and buy for around 15 GBP a GC Electronics 12-1806 straight nibbler. They cut square, I've used them for aluminium chassis making, cutting square holes. Perfect for the job!

https://www.digikey.co.nz/en/products/detail/gc-electronics/12-1806/258502

(Practise on some other thin material first to get the hang of them. Cut from the tweeter side.)

When I bought mine Jerry expressed the view that Tygan made no worthwhile difference. I was buying the speaker on its own merits so I opted against, on the basis that it wasn't an LS3/5A and I was happy for it to be itself.

I have a small regret in that regular material is so thin that you can see some of the bass cone behind it and, in certain lights, there is a reflection that looks like a mark on the material itself. I think that is the only fault with these i've found;)

I might one day get around to ordering a pair of Tygan replacements. Happy to loan our my regular grilles for a trial when that day arrives.

Curiosity got the better of me. I ordered the Tygan grilles and have been testing them over this weekend. They look better, but so they should for £85 delivered!

Whilst I'm not noticing a sonic difference I can describe, their presentation is certainly no worse. My wife thinks I've been playing things a little louder ipso facto for her they are a little worse;)

As I bought the new grilles for aesthetic reasons I guess any expectation bias would seek to justify their cost on a "don't make things sound worse" basis. The upshot of this is that I have now have 2 sheer grilles spare. I'd be happy to loan them out, at postage cost, for an unbiased comparison.

Bit of a thread bump, and with a question for some you more experienced listeners.

My 2 channel listening space is seriously compromised. So much so that I've predominantly focussed on my headphone set-ups for 'proper' listening. Typical Victorian small front room. Not only is it a weird shape with a square bay to the right and a cut-in door area to the rear left, but I am restricted to bookshelf speakers - literally on bookshelves set recessed aside a chimney (forming a kind of bass-bin), about a foot and a half above head-height and too close to the wall! The listening 'shape' in plan view is pretty much an equilateral triangle though.

Having said all that, with very careful positioning and angling of my tiny Monitor Audio Studio 2 speakers I am quite surprised about how well my little system can sound. I listen at low to moderate levels - mostly to contemporary classical and experimental but also indie, alt-rock and folk/acoustic type stuff.

I have coveted these Falcons since they were announced but haven't made the leap partly because I couldn't afford them but mostly because I thought there would be no point, given the serious restrictions I have around placement. Fast forward to now, and I may have an opportunity to buy myself a 'present', and I am back to wondering about the Q7's...

So the question is would be worth my trying them? What effect will having them set so high have? I'll be able to tilt them forward a little, but not much. I accept that I won't be getting the best from them given the restrictions, but will I get enough to warrant the spend? Or should I just accept that I can't properly accommodate them and move on? :(

Your thoughts would be much appreciated.

Here's rough snap of the listening position:

embed

embed

advertisement

Back