advertisement

Falcon Acoustics re-introduce the Q7 MiniMonitor.

I ( sort of ) understand the collector ‘thing’, but not 16 pairs of the same model !
I’ve three pairs of speakers, plus two pairs of PA models.
Too many ?

Last edited:
Gold?? hummm... not a proper Ls3/5a, according to some.

They emulate as closely as possible the very first pairs made, you could argue that all LS3/5a's after are not "proper" LS3/5A's but lesser versions with inferior inductors. Semantics.........

Surprising how different little speakers, even little sealed-box speakers can be. I’ve got JR149s, LS3/5As and Spendor S3/5R and really like them all. I only technically need two pairs (I run three systems in different rooms, one obviously being the huge Tannoy Lockwood monitors), but I see no need to slim the collection down. One beauty of tiny little speakers is they are so easy to store! I’d absolutely love a pair of Quad 57s, but I have nowhere to put them!

BC1, Stirling V3 and Q7?.......aren't the latter two more similar than different?

Very possibly.
Both have their own particular strengths and weaknesses, like all speakers.
The V3s have a superb clarity and imaging.
The Q7s are closer to the BC1s in terms of bass response.
I run them on the BC1 system with excellent results.

I bought them for my 70th. So what if there are better speakers and that they might be (slightly?) out of spec in 10 or 20 years?

But they'll still be quite listenable in 30 or 40 years time - unlike some that have foam surrounds or ferrofluid or have been in a damp environment with the MDF swelling up and veneer coming off.

Had earlier today a gap of a few hours and assembled them. First listening impressions are that these seem to be a better match to my amplifier and my room than the ProAc Tablette 10. Bass performance of the Q7 is noticeable smoother with more presence, not finding anything lacking. With the ProAC I was having thoughts of using a sub, (there was a 15dB hole below 100Hz and a 7dB peak around 140Hz, perhaps room related). Other initial observations suggest only minor other differences and personal preference may favour one or the other.

I feel that I can live with the Q7 without a sub in my small room (man cave / office: 11'2" x 9'11") Everything I had hoped for.

Am impressed with the veneer finish and tygan grille. A heirloom in my opinion.

The less than two year old ProAC's have gone on the local auction site.

First post from loooong time lurker.

Truly enjoy following this thread. My morning routine consists on checking up on Ls3/5a news first and the rest of the internet distand second.

Ls3/5as or a derivative like the q7 are on my bucket list and am working my way towards them.
I often wondered if it should be mandatory for every audionut to own them, regardless of preference. A pair of these and maybe a Quad, so that any gear review can be compared to a common baseline reference.

Anyway thanks to Tony for running the PFM forum, and all the members posting their impressions.

Stay classy PFM

Last edited:
First post from loooong time lurker.

Truly enjoy following this thread. My morning routine consists on checking up on Ls3/5a news first and the rest of the internet distand second.

Ls3/5as or a derivative like the q7 are on my bucket list and am working my way towards them.
I often wondered if it should be mandatory for every audionut to own them, regardless of preference. A pair of these and maybe a Quad, so that any gear review can be compared to a common baseline reference.

Anyway thanks to Tony for running the PFM forum, and all the members posting their impressions.

Stay classy PFM

Indeed, welcome and don't be a stranger ;)

That was a mistake, made when compiling the Rogers leaflet for the LS3/5.
How do you know it was a mistake? I don't doubt you but enquiring mind likes to hear more of this.

Never mind if it was a mistake or not but it would make sense if the speaker is seated on a wide shelf, especially since the crossover is at 3 Khz. I suppose it all depends on how far away a person is seated, at what height the speakers are and are the speakers on a shelf or not. Reflections, reflections, the joy of positioning the speakers.

Last edited:
I was told, on good authority, that it was a mistake.

The whole operation, at Rogers, compiling the information and photographs for the launch wasn’t an
easy one.

Many thanks, much appreciated. Yes, before using computers correcting layout was not just some clicks with a mouse. Similar to the typing for legal purposes - no errors allowed, the whole page had to be redone.

Best,
Marinus

Last edited:
@MarkL56 What did you use to polish them? Most photos on the net make them look matte, these are stunners
I have been using Danish oil, I'm on about 10 coats but with each coat they just keep getting better so am going to carry on for another few coats.
The Falcon cabinets are lovely quality, but the matt finish on the walnut made it a bit one dimensional

advertisement

Back