advertisement

Experiment - posting my own toons online.

miktec

retired
I have spent the last week transferring some 40 year old cassette tapes (21 in all) of my own electronic doodles from that time. Will probs spend the dark winter months going through it all and selecting/remixing bits I like.

Just looking at ways of maybe posting the fruits of this online - may get all ambitious and go with Bandcamp at some stage but for the moment and by way of an experiment, I have posted a couple of short clips on flickr and would appreciate it if anyone could spare the time to check whether either actually works and post back here :)

It's just a dirty screengrab Quicktime mov affair and the sound quality is not too great ... but I should be able to improve on that (I hope...even though the content won't improve)

HAVE now removed the two original links before I break them - many thanks for the feedback chaps (also received by PM) !!

New clips in .mov format will be posted on flickr as I sort them - still messing with methods and formats.... :)
Link here (look for the camera icon in the middle):

https://www.flickr.com/photos/186836509@N02/

Last edited:
Very cool, I'm looking forward to hearing more!

The most popular way for uploading music is SoundCloud.

It's really simple to get things up on Bandcamp too. Even if you don't plan to make a big effort to sell, it's nice to have it available to discover. You don't have to do albums; you can upload and sell individual tracks.

It's also easy to get music on streaming services through a distribution platform.

Together with a friend, I similarly started going through our 20-year archives (well, 10 years of material dating back 20 years), remastering them, and releasing on Bandcamp and streaming platforms (we use Routenote as a distributor) under the auspices of a "record label" that we formed. It's not a proper company since we've only made $11 on Bandcamp and $2.50 streaming in 2 years, but it allows us to combine efforts rather than going it alone in a sea of new music.

Edit to say: I started a thread in the Music forum where I link to my releases. Maybe a single thread for all forum users would be cool, since others have posted their music from time to time.

Last edited:
Very cool, I'm looking forward to hearing more!

Thanks so much for checking that - and for the generous encouragement :)
Also for the tips re. hosting sites ... very useful info and I reckon I will have more questions as I go ;)

Will be deleting the two I posted soon while I experiment with different formats, etc. but will replace with a link to my flickr and alert here if I post any new attempts - will look out for your thread too !! Also like the idea of an 'all-comers' contribution thread.

This stuff is very old (earliest 1981!) and although mixed down from R2R to a decent UHER cassette deck at the time, I have quite a lot of cleaning up/remixing to do to do before I venture into Bandcamp/Soundcloud territory but will keep PFM posted,

cheers ... and thanks again,
Mike

Edit to say: I started a thread in the Music forum where I link to my releases. Maybe a single thread for all forum users would be cool, since others have posted their music from time to time.

I haven’t seen your thread but I’ll check it out. I think a thread that could act as a hub for members musical output is a good idea.

This stuff is very old (earliest 1981!) and although mixed down from R2R to a decent UHER cassette deck at the time, I have quite a lot of cleaning up/remixing to do to do before I venture into Bandcamp/Soundcloud territory but will keep PFM posted,

cheers ... and thanks again,
Mike

I find this music fascinating but I’ve always been a little disappointed the whole home taping scene completely passed me by but I’m not sure what I would have made of it aged 11 and just getting into soul and funk.
Did you ever send anything in to the fanzines that were releasing this type of music on tape at the time? I’m sure you know already but I’ve found Vinyl On Demand a good source of the cassette culture and Industrial scene at the time, they have put together some great compilations and artist albums over the last decade or so.
I’m looking forward to hearing more…

I find this music fascinating but I’ve always been a little disappointed the whole home taping scene completely passed me by but I’m not sure what I would have made of it aged 11 and just getting into soul and funk.
Did you ever send anything in to the fanzines that were releasing this type of music on tape at the time? I’m sure you know already but I’ve found Vinyl On Demand a good source of the cassette culture and Industrial scene at the time, they have put together some great compilations and artist albums over the last decade or so.
I’m looking forward to hearing more…

To be honest, history had other plans for me - I was living in Holland at that time and did do some 'live' performances with my tangle of wires and boxes but around '85 I upped sticks and headed off back to Blighty. I sold the expensive bits of gear to fund the trip and the rest went into boxes and ended up in loft/garage storage until I 'rediscovered' the tapes a few weeks ago - prompted by some of @Tony L 's posts on vintage gear actually :)

I don't want to link to my thread here in @miktec's thread, but I actually have an album scheduled for release tomorrow so maybe I can use that as an excuse to start a general "PFM Members' Music" thread.

By all means post a link - I was listening to some of the first album last night and it's really well worth the time :)

I would recommend anyone with a liking for electronic music to pay a visit ....

Well, thanks, I'm happy to oblige:
https://pinkfishmedia.net/forum/threads/some-of-my-own-music.255809/

I'll create the general thread tomorrow with my new release. I look forward to hearing more of your tape madness there soon.

BTW, I obviously spent the last ~2 years learning how to resuscitate archival recordings (I generally only had final mixdowns to work with), so if you have anything you would like me to try remastering, I'd be happy to give it a go.

.. and this is the chip that kicked it all off for me - saw it hanging on a Tandy display sometime in the late '70s, advertised as a sound effects generator.
By this time I had built a few kit amps so thought I'd give this a go and built the full 'demonstrator box' set up in a perspex enclosure ...
Oh what fun we had :D ... an absolute nightmare to use at live events.

50942935603_5240f8d1e9_c.jpg

.... the box is to the right of the tape deck - all knobs and switches :confused: ... next to it is a self-build sequencer (circuit from a mag)

51020983511_bef137b7d2_c.jpg

... unfortunately the only slide of that set up I can find :(

Obviously, quite a few of the tracks I have posted were not made solely with the kit in the early photos above.

At some time in the early '80s, after a hefty bout of overtime at work, I invested in the beautiful Roland Juno 6 and this was used notably in the arpeggiated numbers.
roland_juno6_angle.jpg

https://www.vintagesynth.com/roland/juno6.php

Also around that time I upgraded from the Boss Dr Rhythm pictured above to the rather splendid Roland TR606 'Drumatix' which opened up a whole new range of options.
roland_tr606.jpg

https://www.vintagesynth.com/roland/606.php

Both of these fetch more (used) now than I paid when they were new :eek: .....

Still carried on using the range of analogue pedals I had (fuzz, phaser and delay) although about that time more and more sophisticated digital versions were appearing for reasonable prices. Also still made occasional use of the Tandy chip noise box .... can't beat some unpredictable chaos in the mix ;)

advertisement

Back