advertisement

Experiment - posting my own toons online.

The last 'techie' pic for this thread.
In between the wild primitivism of the Tandy box and the luxuries of the Roland, I had a monophonic keyboard and a few modules from the Dutch 'Synton' company.
The pic below shows a couple of them in the top box above some other self-build ones ... the Tandy box is just to the right (some of the switches showing). Great advantage of the keyboard was the ability to create structured notes, rather than the haphazard and untunetable squeals and thumps of the Tandy thing ;)

I think the Synton units were probably from the same guys who designed and distributed the Synton Fenix:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Synton_Fenix

Been quite busy with other stuff this week so no time to edit any toons unfortunately :(

synton modules
by mik tec, on Flickr

(apols for the quality - only pic I have ...)

Last edited:
Bit of a break from posting toons for a while I work out a mixer setup.
Although I have quite a few left short enough to post on flickr, I have a yen to (re)mix some of the longer tracks in a better resolution to post elsewhere.

Plan at the moment is to use a couple of RPis with touch screens as sources and a Focusrite Saffire Pro24 to mix them onto a Mac Mini 2012 with Audacity and see how that squares up.
(to think I nearly sold off the Saffire - doh!!) Great thing about Moode on the Pi is it offers two flavours of equaliser to play with - loadsa fun ;)

I know I could achieve all of this just using the Mac (have done that in the past) - but I am really liking the alternative party option...

Big headache at the moment is finding the space (and time) to set it up permanently - too many hobbies and too much related junk to cope with :D

(not to mention the 'X' word ....)

Bit of a break from posting toons for a while I work out a mixer setup.
Although I have quite a few left short enough to post on flickr, I have a yen to (re)mix some of the longer tracks in a better resolution to post elsewhere.

Plan at the moment is to use a couple of RPis with touch screens as sources and a Focusrite Saffire Pro24 to mix them onto a Mac Mini 2012 with Audacity and see how that squares up.
(to think I nearly sold off the Saffire - doh!!) Great thing about Moode on the Pi is it offers two flavours of equaliser to play with - loadsa fun ;)

I know I could achieve all of this just using the Mac (have done that in the past) - but I am really liking the alternative party option...

Big headache at the moment is finding the space (and time) to set it up permanently - too many hobbies and too much related junk to cope with :D

(not to mention the 'X' word ....)

When you say "mix" do you mean in the DJ sense of making a continuous mix of songs or in the studio sense of combining separate elements to make a polished, complete song?

For free software, you can look at Mixxx for the former and Ardour for the latter.

I'll also reiterate my offer for doing some (gentle, nonprofessional) remastering if you would like.

When you say "mix" do you mean in the DJ sense of making a continuous mix of songs or in the studio sense of combining separate elements to make a polished, complete song?

For free software, you can look at Mixxx for the former and Ardour for the latter.

I'll also reiterate my offer for doing some (gentle, nonprofessional) remastering if you would like.

Thank you for the software tips - and the very kind offer :)

I think actual mixing (in the latter sense) is a bit down the road yet - most likely well after Xmas either way.
In the meantime I will be doing some 'mash ups' using Audacity just to see what might work with what and mess around with EQ, levels etc.
At some point I will also move on to mixing any candidates using the setup I mentioned in #27

TBH, I actively don't like full blown mixing/editing software packages due to the inevitable cluttered layout on screen and far too many options that I'm never going to use (with the inevitable 'learning curve' headaches that suck all the fun out of it) so for the moment at least I want to keep things as simple as possible and stick to what I know ;)

in keeping with my very strict policy of maintaining rigorous inconsistency at all times, I'm going to post a couple more in the run up to Xmas.

First up, something of a Jaws Harp dirge in keeping with the spirit of the season (thankfully short):

outback
by mik tec, on Flickr

advertisement

Back