advertisement

Exhaustive review of the SSP12 inner platter for LP12

OK Sorry for my misreporting!
The Karousel bearing is so much bigger than the the previous Cirkus that i wrongly thought the size of the shaft has also been slightly enlarged, but at 9.50 mm both are identical...

Yes, I was.........but.....it really is a huge uplift over the Cirkus+TPT, so I figure leave well alone. If it was only an ‘Mmmmm’ change, I would give it a go........
As far as I can tell, the sub platter with the Cirkus and Karousel are identical. I measured weight, diameter, spindle length, spindle diameter e.t.c as carefully as I know how.
YES i confirm it is a HUGE uplift over the Cirkus +TPT...

Another question for matfff:
Can i expect also a huge uplift from my Greentreet Geddon PSU with the Mober DC PSU?

Another question for matfff:
Can i expect also a huge uplift from my Greentreet Geddon PSU with the Mober DC PSU?
Ah, well that I have no experience of, so this is just conjecture. I replaced Naim geddon/ac airpax with Edmunds rig. I think it’s better. Will it be better than the Greenstreet? That I can’t tell you.

OK Thanx! i guess there is no difference between the Naim Armageddon and the Greenstreet's one...? You are enjoying Edmund's rig thinking it's better!

OK Thanx! i guess there is no difference between the Naim Armageddon and the Greenstreet's one...? You are enjoying Edmund's rig thinking it's better!
Hi, yes. As far as I can tell with my strobe, both do a great job of spinning the platter at 33.3, but Edmunds motor is far, far quieter. I think that’s where the performance difference lies. There’s 9/10ths of bugger all inside a ‘geddon, so I suspect the Greenstreet is a straight copy.

I expect receiving my Mober DC PSU + Mober top plate next monday with Fedex... Crossed fingers...
I asked Adam on hifi-af what's the best way to install everything:
i guess mounting the sub-chassis to the top plate before installation of the top plate into the plinth?
How many holes in the plinth to be slightly enlarged for the thicker pillars of the Mober top plate?
Is there still necessary to connect GND to the chassis such as it was previously the case with the original Linn AC motor?

i just received Edmund's answer!

Hi Bernard,

Only 2 holes which fix the top plate.

There is a misunderstanding and wide spreaded, you do not need unnecessary ground.

The ground to the chassis and top plate because in the Valhalla era, a hazardous 380 V AC present inside the turntable and too close to the metal cross brace.

You need the ground for protection purpose. Same as the bottom cover.

After you upgrade to DC motor, only 5V DC present, it is very safe.

Unnecessary ground cause hum.

Best regards,

Edmund

Unnecessary, as in creating a loop might cause hum, but otherwise no they don't.

A heavy top plate provides EM shielding, if grounded, all motors, even low volt dc create an EM field.

If the arm has continuity to the armboard and chassis, then ground the top plate to the chassis. If it doesnt gnd it to phonostage.

How many holes in the plinth to be slightly enlarged for the thicker pillars of the Mober top plate?

Agreed on what Si has said above. And regarding the thicker pillars of the Mober top plate -- indeed, the pillars on my Mober top plate (which I have yet to actually install) are exactly the same size as those on the Linn, no need to enlarge anything.

I received yesterday my Mober DC PSU + Top plate... It was easy to install everything having an LP12 jig...
YES no need to enlarge holes on the wooden plinth...
BUT Holy sh... i have an issue:
i cannot get a correct speed; it spins far to slow at 33.3 RPM...
I'm waiting Edmund's help to fix this unexpected issue
Like Adam i also had to file some brass from the Tachometer close to the fixing screw because it was to close the motor pulley...

OK, so you press the 33.3 button, this has two modes, ‘0’ and ‘33.3’, are you sure you have pressed it so that the target speed is 33.3? If it says ‘0’, then it will not be spinning at all, you first described this as a problem of the rotation being to slow? A sharp press of the 33.3 button is required to set the speed at 33.3.

Thank you matff for your HELP!
Unfortunately, i'm quite sure i received a defective unit:
When i do a sharp press on the 33.3 BTN the screen is moving fast from 33.3 to 0 so i cannot select 33.3...
This is driving me completly mad!
Edmund is unable to provide any accurate help, only saying that he has 100% satisfied customers...
Let me know what can i do now before backpedaling to my previous Greenstreet Geddon!

Thank you matff for your HELP!
Unfortunately, i'm quite sure i received a defective unit:
When i do a sharp press on the 33.3 BTN the screen is moving fast from 33.3 to 0 so i cannot select 33.3...
This is driving me completly mad!
Edmund is unable to provide any accurate help, only saying that he has 100% satisfied customers...
Let me know what can i do now before backpedaling to my previous Greenstreet Geddon!

i had the same problem with my mober on initial installation. I solved it by putting a washer under the sensor to raise it slightly. Edmund did send me a replacement sensor that worked without the washer.

OK so the culprit may be the sensor aka the Tachometer?
I opened the Mober to check if everything looks OK inside: the led close to resistor 53 on the rear right is not ON like the other from the small card with 33.3 and 45 BTNs?

I suspect steve1ooo is on to something, you may find if your optical sensor is not very sensitive you need it closer to the platter to pick up the pattern and provide the speed feedback. Try bodging it up on something and see if that then bursts in to life?

Also, Edmund is being slightly disingenuous here, he may have 100% satisfied customers eventually, but his units do have issues - I have one here due for return as I had an issue with the electrical socket (suspect contact fault). To be fair to him, he shipped me a replacement straightaway. Apparently, the tachometer has a screw somewhere to increase sensitivity. I learned this from Edmund whilst troubleshooting, never found out exactly where it was, as this was not my issue, but maybe worth your while investigating this with him. ATB.

advertisement

Back