advertisement

Exhaustive review of the SSP12 inner platter for LP12

I thought that another feature of the Linn bearing is that it's one less interface for vibrations to pass through. Someone told me once that vibrations tend to go from a smaller mass to a bigger one. So vibration in the inner platter will be blocked from moving to the sub-chassis by the ball bearing. It's got to be more complicated than that because the weight of the inner platter on the ball bearing must come into it and then there's the oil as well.

All other things being equal with two items of differing mass but similar material coupled together in anti gravity the larger will act as a sink for the smaller.

But that's seldom the case and a huge oversimplification.

In the case of a hard contact tt bearing unless theres side to side play you can consider the platter subplatter and bearing housing as one, until the amplitude or frequency is such that they stop acting as a coupled item. Unlikely in any deck apart from massive footfall moments.

Hi,
I'm in the mood for going to a Mober DC Psu and replace my Greenstreet Geddon...
I recently bought the Karousel bearing that replaced my previous Cirkus bearing +TPT...
The Karousel is a fantastic upgrade...
Edmund Chan hasn't yet tested the Karousel with his Mober DC Psu and he isn't sure it will work...?
Has anybody already have both installed with successful result?

But Adam Hifiaf is "sleepy Joe" aka NO ANSWER!...
OK there are some electrical issues with some kind of antic PSU such as Valhalla or Nirvana but it cannot occur with DC PSU!?
Looking carefully at the picts provided by Hifiaf i'm not sure he already has upgraded his bearing to Karousel because Karousel is not compatable with Mober inner platter...

@hifiaf doesn't necessarily read this thread every day, give the chap a chance :) now I have called out to him he will I am sure.

As far as I know he has not yet tried a Karousel.

Why are a Karousel and Mober inner platter incompatable? I assume the Mober inner platter is form and fit replacement only with a ball bearing tip and some monkey business with different materials?

Karousel will foul old internal PSUs yes, don't see why a Mober DC that is an external PSU would have an issue but of course it depends where the internal wiring was mounted so I suppose it could have an issue. Hifiaf will know what the inside of a LP12 looks like with a Mober dc fitted and have an understanding of clearance round the bearing as he has a Mober dc too so I am sure he can comment on whether the Karousel would likely foul a Mober dc.

It doesn't fit any internal motor board that surrounds the bearing except the lingo4.

"Sleepy Joe" awakens! (Definitely best to tag me or PM me as I don't read every thread!) I'm sure the Mober inner platter and the Karousel will work fine together. I haven't tried a Karousel... though @matfff's experiences are making me seriously consider it...

Edmund Chan hasn't yet tested the Karousel with his Mober DC Psu and he isn't sure it will work...?

I am going to stick my neck out here as I have neither, but I suspect Edmund is having a laugh. There is nothing around the bearing in a Mober DC install, so Karousel and Mober DC must work together surely. We know his Hercules will foul but that is an in plinth PCB around the bearing. The dc is everything out of the plinth except the speed control on the top plate and the motor, and the cables between, how can they possibly foul the Karousel? Feels much more like Edmund not wanting to say it will be fine either to cover his arse or to persuade you that his bearing, that obviously is compatible with his kit, would be a better bet than a Karousel ...

He might also be mixing up the question (or, dare I say, the question is not being posed with perfect clarity? -- I'm still not 100% sure which compatibility issues we're discussing here!). I'm only aware of the following Mober compatibility issues, none to do with the DC kit:
  • The Mober bearing has a huge housing that doesn't fit through any but his own cross-braces
  • The SSP12 inner platter doesn't have a Linn taper in the larger-diameter bit where the bearing shaft connects with the top of the platter, so the Tiger Paw Tranquility magnetic bearing support (totally different product to the Karousel of course) needs a bit of encouragement to sit in place
  • The issue with the Hercules @nobeone mentions above

Hi, only just seen this as Adam tagged me. I am using Edmunds D.C. kit with the Karousel, no issues whatsoever. I am not going to use Edmunds inner platter however. Not because of any compatibility issues that I know of, it’s just that the inner platter that came with the K sounds so utterly amazing that I don’t want to disrupt any of the magic! My Mober inner and TPT are on the bay if anyone interested. The Cirkus and Linn sub platter were snapped up on the first day of listing with an offer to good to refuse.

Wahouh!
Great Thanx for so many answers! And particularily to matfff reporting :
I am using Edmunds D.C. kit with the Karousel, no issues whatsoever
Of course it's obvious that the Mober inner platter will not match with the Karousel Kit because the thickness of the Karousel inner platter's shaft is bigger than the previous Cirkus..
I guess that the Mober inner platter's shaft is different in size than the Karousel...
Of course it sounds CRAZY trying to use only the Karousel bearing while trying to use with it the Mober inner platter...

It doesn't fit any internal motor board that surrounds the bearing except the lingo4.

I'm pretty sure you're referring to the Mober bearing here, right, Si? True AFAIK -- I think it does indeed fit the Lingo 4 cross-brace, which has a big hole. But DC kit and Karousel? We have confirmation from @matfff it's fine as of course it would be...

But aren't you tempted to even try the SSP12 inner with the Karousel?? :)
Yes, I was.........but.....it really is a huge uplift over the Cirkus+TPT, so I figure leave well alone. If it was only an ‘Mmmmm’ change, I would give it a go........
As far as I can tell, the sub platter with the Cirkus and Karousel are identical. I measured weight, diameter, spindle length, spindle diameter e.t.c as carefully as I know how.

advertisement

Back