advertisement

Exhaustive review of the SSP12 inner platter for LP12

The gift that keeps giving, can we have regular updates please, in case that connector gets naughty again, would not want the tracks to grow cold ...

I see comments on the DC motor for LP12 from a rival selling his third party AC PSU for Linn LP12 , the statement claims the DC motor is noise than Premotec AC motor. Obviously , it is the school book of “ conflict of interests” and does not fit our common sense.

Not sure it refer to the high quality Maxon DC motor or cheap DC motor for toy car ? The same Maxon DC motor being used in the Mars rover, according to some goggle search on the internet.

Bear in mind that Linn Radikal retail price is more than 4 and half grand . Linn Lingo AC motor is around 2 grand. The price tell you the difference in performance. Not from a rival selling his AC motor PSU.

All knows the AC 24 poles synchronous Motor spinning, that 24 poles chases around the poles by 50Hz, it is like a step motor, not perfect circle, only DC motor core is driven the magnetic flux, the whole core is spinning, it is perfect circle. Not that difficult to understand.

All with LP12 AC motor, you can feel the vicinity is shaking, that is the result of the poles chasing around inside. All knows DC motor will easily out perform the AC motor, many years ago, a lot of DC motor launch in the market prior to Linn DC motor. All knows with Mober DC motor control, that High quality DC motor is build in an enclosure with build in material to absorb even very little shaking. With Mober DC motor control, you can't detect any vibration with any equipment, unless you want to do it on purpose.

I see comments on the DC motor for LP12 from a rival selling his third party AC PSU for Linn LP12 , the statement claims the DC motor is noise than Premotec AC motor. Obviously , it is the school book of “ conflict of interests” and does not fit our common sense.

Not sure it refer to the high quality Maxon DC motor or cheap DC motor for toy car ? The same Maxon DC motor being used in the Mars rover, according to some goggle search on the internet.

Bear in mind that Linn Radikal retail price is more than 4 and half grand . Linn Lingo AC motor is around 2 grand. The price tell you the difference in performance. Not from a rival selling his AC motor PSU.

All knows the AC 24 poles synchronous Motor spinning, that 24 poles chases around the poles by 50Hz, it is like a step motor, not perfect circle, only DC motor core is driven the magnetic flux, the whole core is spinning, it is perfect circle. Not that difficult to understand.

All with LP12 AC motor, you can feel the vicinity is shaking, that is the result of the poles chasing around inside. All knows DC motor will easily out perform the AC motor, many years ago, a lot of DC motor launch in the market prior to Linn DC motor. All knows with Mober DC motor control, that High quality DC motor is build in an enclosure with build in material to absorb even very little shaking. With Mober DC motor control, you can't detect any vibration with any equipment, unless you want to do it on purpose.
Very happy with my Mober DC, excellent vibration free performance!

Perhaps he has the world quietest AC motor? I've never seen a straight synchronous motor come close to a high quality DC motor. He's obviously living in fantasy land.

I don't know much about AC vs DC motors but doesn't the RP10/P10 have a 24v AC motor?

That motor is bolted to the same plinth as the mean bearing and it's silent. The RP10 is the quietest deck I've ever heard.

Not sure it refer to the high quality Maxon DC motor or cheap DC motor for toy cars

You have obviously not had the maxon motor to bits and looked at it in detail.... expensive..yes.....high quality...no
The ones used in the Mober are nasty bushed affairs with cheap flimsy brushes..I've seen MUCH better ones in toy cars (I ran a hobby/model shop for 7 years)

They are also quite noisy....you can find my posts on how I eventually quietened mine to an acceptable level below

https://pinkfishmedia.net/forum/threads/mober-lp12-motor-mods-help-pls.204237/

And some pictures of the motor in bits ....and the maxon model number
Revel in its "quality"

https://www.flickr.com/gp/151239631@N05/6U9hM0

https://www.flickr.com/gp/151239631@N05/V6c42r

https://www.flickr.com/gp/151239631@N05/8BMRF3

Last edited:
Your post was dated on 2017, when I first launch my Mober DC motor control in 2016. I must confess the pulley insertion was not very good in the beginning stage, a few of them might make noise after inserted the pulley. Later on, I aware this problem and improved the pulley insertion without open up the Maxon DC motor cover, that makes the Maxon DC motor much quieter . When I say it is quiet, does not mean it is absolutely silence, because it is sleeve bearing, you can hear a very little noise when you put the Maxon DC motor few inches to your ears, but you can hear nothing when it is a foot from your ears. I do have Maxon DCX 26L ball bearing on hand, and tested it in my Mober turntable, the DCX 26L noise level is the same as the A-max 26 CLL that currently being used in my Mober DC control for LP12. A few drop of Linn black oil to the shaft contact of the A-max motor does effectively lower the noise level, that is what I did in last few years.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/156532700@N03/51292920313/in/dateposted/

I've seen MUCH better ones in toy cars

Sure, when I determine to develop the DC motor for Linn LP12, I shopped around many toy shops to get the best DC motor available. The reality is they are all design for high speed, 10,000 to 100,000 rpm, not for slow speed like 200, 300 rpm, when they spins at 200 or 300, it shaking like hell. Linn did not use that toy motor either.

I don't know much about AC vs DC motors but doesn't the RP10/P10 have a 24v AC motor?

That motor is bolted to the same plinth as the mean bearing and it's silent. The RP10 is the quietest deck I've ever heard.

Linn Lingo 4 use 12 V AC synchronous motor, lower voltage is better. Not sure how other 3rd party on board PSU for Linn LP12 100 V AC motor convince others that he make 100 V AC motor noise level better than 5 V DC motor.

This thread is a bit old now but nevertheless does anyone have any direct contact details for Edmund at Mober because I cant find any website for him and I read that he had an ebay shop but I cant find that either? thanks

Wahouh!
Great Thanx for so many answers! And particularily to matfff reporting :
I am using Edmunds D.C. kit with the Karousel, no issues whatsoever
Of course, it's obvious that the Mober inner platter will not match with the Karousel Kit because the thickness of the Karousel inner platter's shaft is bigger than the previous Cirkus..
I guess that the Mober inner platter's shaft is different in size than the Karousel...
Of course it sounds CRAZY trying to use only the Karousel bearing while trying to use with it the Mober inner platter...
The SSP12 work just fine with the Karousel. The shaft of both inner platers is the same.

@bigfish

I sympathise with you, trying to support DC motor speed problems that are probably no fault of your MOBER gear.

Here’s why:

After years of patchy speed consistency on our KAROUSELed LP12 - using a competitor’s DC motor - I recently removed the LP12 springs and grommets and replaced them with a set of AudioSilente Silicone Mushrooms.

Now:
NO random speed changes!
NO constant speed flutter!
NO wobbly, bouncy platter!
NO sub-chassis moving out of alignment!
NO tonearm springing around when I”m trying to clean the cart-tip!
NO foot-fall problems!

I honestly didn’t realise how much handling nonsense I learned to tolerate, to accommodate the old sprung suspension - simply because I just blindly (deafly?) believed it sounded better.

Our armboard now remains perfectly centred and level in relation to the plinth and sonically, it’s one of the most dramatic improvements in the more than 2 decades of LP12 experiments and upgrades.

For the first time, I feel that we are really hearing what the LP12 is capable of - not to mention the massive improvement in tonearm/cartridge handling.

(Wish I had tried it years ago…)

Those with LP12 speed issues, take note!

Last edited:

advertisement

Back