advertisement

EWA LS80 speaker cables

Had one two of Colin's amps Toca seca included fabulous thing. Was just wondering whether the gains are more discernable (coughs) over a short run or not worth the extra expenditure between 25 / 80
Other than my wallet.......

No idea re short runs but the 80 is a huge improvement over the 25 (I upgraded from 25 to 80 having also demo’d the 40s)

if you are lucky enough to need short lengths just bite the bullet and buy the 80s

Just wanted to post a few comments and observations on the EWA LS-80 speaker cable. A couple of months ago I PM'd Alan to ask about the possibility of demoing a set of LS-40 speaker cables. He said that would be fine but that they were out on loan, so he would let me know when they returned. We exchanged a few messages (as you do) and got talking about the LS-80 as well. Now I should add that at that time I was thinking that I'd be needing a 4.5m pair. The thought of spending out on LS-80's wasn't something that filled me with enthusiasm. However, talking with 'She who must be obeyed' resulted in the idea of moving the rack to between the speakers. This cuts the required length to a 2m pair...far more palatable. As luck would have it, Alan had a 2.7m pair already built for a customer who wanted 2 pairs of 2m LS-80 for bi wiring. So bingo bongo, I demo'd that pair.

Without wishing to wax lyrical or get in to the whole 'cables make no difference' debacle, this is what I (and 'She who must be obeyed') found. My previous cable was a 4m pair of NAC5. I should probably list the other components as well I guess. Hegel H390 and a pair of PMC Twenty5 22 stand-mounts. My source is the internet going through a Silent Angel N8 switch. I use Qobuz. I had the system cooking away for about 40mins with the old cable before switching, the wife was upstairs at this point. I did the swap. Volume on the amp was unchanged. The difference was immediate and tangible. Wider deeper soundstage, more space around the elements of the recording and better definition and texture to those elements. So obvious was the change that my wife appeared at the door to the lounge giving me one of her looks. We both knew these cables were keepers. Back of the net!

The cables arrived very well packaged and in a presentation box with three layers of foam for protection. Alan has been an absolute gentleman to deal with from the start, which was just a casual enquiry. I have no affiliation with Alan or EWA and have nothing to gain by making these comments. I could have sent the cables back with no charge, at any point. If you're thinking about upgrading your cables, get in touch with these guys, you'll be glad you did.

Thank you for your frank and honest mini review, it makes me feel good as I got some things right with Alan doing all the hard work firstly and the design and concept secondly,
Thank you.:)

Just wanted to post a few comments...

David, thank you for your warm words, we are delighted that you enjoyed them. All we ask of anyone is that they take some time to listen. Colin's work here is just so spot on, and it's great when it can bring something good to a listener's music.

I hope I may be able to use your quote as a product testimonial on the website? Let me know, please.

Warm regards

Us

advertisement

Back