advertisement

EWA LS80 speaker cables

Does anyone know how Alan is, and whether he's fulfilling orders again ?
Best wishes to him anyhow. It was very trusting of him to send round the trial cables, and I'm very happy with the LS40s I bought directly from EWA, and with the XLR interconnect that I picked up on eBay in August.
Maybe Colin can enlighten us....or better still it would be nice if Alan could give us an update on his wellbeing and future plans himself if he feels up to it. ;)

Last edited:
As with any product, let your ears decide...

I wouldn't spend that much on a cable so I wouldn't want to deprive anyone genuinely interested in buying these from being on the 'tour list'.

What about this though; If any of you that own this cable live within a two hour drive from Bournemouth/Dorset and are prepared to dem the cable I'd be happy to pop over and you can try to convince me otherwise.

I'd happily bring over some of my amps (and speaker cables) in return if this is of interest.

PM me.

Last edited:
hi all,

got about 12 hours on the cables now and not noticing any differences but having so much fun rediscovering my music collection. with regards to the comment i made about listening at a reduced volume. my perception is because through these cables the bass is deeper with more texture and weight, the same with voices and instruments along with a lower noise floor, it comes across as sounding louder, but i wouldn`t say its louder. it`s just i need less volume because of the extra weight i hear. my thoughts are the cables are letting the signal through to the speakers with much less hindrance (dunno if i spelt that right lol) which people might perceive as being louder. hope that makes sense!

i`ve had mostly mid budget sound systems over the years. because of the amount of hours i work now and being able to save i spent over a year checking out whats out there, whats good and what punches well above its weight cost wise. spent a lot of time reading the general publics views rather than magazine reviews and narrowed it all down to the cambridge audio system i have and proac speakers. all the cables i have now came to more than what i paid for my system. i`ve spent over 2 years saving and buying this system bit by bit. i don`t really care about the 10 percent rule. rules get broken all the time. some components on the market in hifi sound extremely good at a bargain price. i feel that all the research i`ve put in to what i`ve bought has been very well worth it and there isn`t any component in my system i regret. i also have an £800 headphone amplifier driving a pair of £2500 headphones. amazing sound and amazing partners that seem like they were made for each other. on paper a total mismatch. in reality they`re just amazing together. go figure! my bit of heaven! also 2 thirds of my system was brought secondhand. and jayjay your so right what you said.... things can only get better lol

hi all,

got about 12 hours on the cables now and not noticing any differences but having so much fun rediscovering my music collection. with regards to the comment i made about listening at a reduced volume. my perception is because through these cables the bass is deeper with more texture and weight, the same with voices and instruments along with a lower noise floor, it comes across as sounding louder, but i wouldn`t say its louder. it`s just i need less volume because of the extra weight i hear. my thoughts are the cables are letting the signal through to the speakers with much less hindrance (dunno if i spelt that right lol) which people might perceive as being louder. hope that makes sense!

i`ve had mostly mid budget sound systems over the years. because of the amount of hours i work now and being able to save i spent over a year checking out whats out there, whats good and what punches well above its weight cost wise. spent a lot of time reading the general publics views rather than magazine reviews and narrowed it all down to the cambridge audio system i have and proac speakers. all the cables i have now came to more than what i paid for my system. i`ve spent over 2 years saving and buying this system bit by bit. i don`t really care about the 10 percent rule. rules get broken all the time. some components on the market in hifi sound extremely good at a bargain price. i feel that all the research i`ve put in to what i`ve bought has been very well worth it and there isn`t any component in my system i regret. i also have an £800 headphone amplifier driving a pair of £2500 headphones. amazing sound and amazing partners that seem like they were made for each other. on paper a total mismatch. in reality they`re just amazing together. go figure! my bit of heaven! also 2 thirds of my system was brought secondhand. and jayjay your so right what you said.... things can only get better lol
I'm glad your having so much fun with your new LS-80's, as you say you have only 12 hours burn-in time so still quite a while before they reach their true potential. Like you I bought quite a bit of hifi gear secondhand over the years and it's only over the last 10 years or so since I retired I have been able to afford a little bit of luxury in regards of my hifi. And why not! :D

i have over 30 hours on these cables now. the noise floor seems lower with extra clarity. the soundstage is a bit wider. what i`m loving the most is late evening listening. i`m not missing out on anything at all. beautiful bass, amazing clarity and detail right the way through all frequencies and a bit more body. i do most of my listening late evenings and these cables are giving me everything i`d hoped for. these cables have done wonders for my system so far

i wont be posting any further updates as the trolls have landed! and they hunt in packs lol. but i do stand by what i`ve said about these cables. wonderful sound. thank you so much alan and colin for making these products possible. they really are exceptional and given me all of what i wanted and more. i will be ordering the ic-40 interconnects and the usb cable hopefully in the early part of next year and really cannot wait. this is a great thread, just a shame trolls have to ruin it. i firmly believe this is how business should be done. peoples real experiences. ewa will go far in my opinion. pay no attention to the trolls. every website like this has them. these speaker cables are every bit as good as what all the others that have bought them say and i`m in no doubts as what people have said about the ic`s and usb cables too. like others have said, keep in mind there is a returns policy if not happy with them so i`d hardly call it a risk. looking forward to next year! have a great xmas all :)

i totally agree with you muttley. plus i found something handy earlier too, the ignore button lol both are on ignore so i can`t see their comments. i also agree with most liking the cable and some not liking them. the chord cables these replaced weren`t suited to my system. the odyssey cables i was using on the treble made the treble a bit too hot. these ls-80`s certainly addressed that. this is such a good thread and trolls seem to single people out. i just don`t want it to spoil this thread. i think it`s good to hear both sides of the coin specially for the manufacturers

i totally agree with you muttley. plus i found something handy earlier too, the ignore button lol both are on ignore so i can`t see their comments. i also agree with most liking the cable and some not liking them. the chord cables these replaced weren`t suited to my system. the odyssey cables i was using on the treble made the treble a bit too hot. these ls-80`s certainly addressed that. this is such a good thread and trolls seem to single people out. i just don`t want it to spoil this thread. i think it`s good to hear both sides of the coin specially for the manufacturers
My motto is "If you got nothing good to say, don't say it at all" :p

We can all get over enthusiastic when something changes for the better. But adding an opinion without trying, be it a cable or anything else is pointless. This is most peoples hobby and passion so why piss on someone’s chips just for the sake of it.

i have over 30 hours on these cables now. the noise floor seems lower with extra clarity. the soundstage is a bit wider. what i`m loving the most is late evening listening. i`m not missing out on anything at all. beautiful bass, amazing clarity and detail right the way through all frequencies and a bit more body. i do most of my listening late evenings and these cables are giving me everything i`d hoped for. these cables have done wonders for my system so far
jayjay whats that song title? you say it best when you say nothing at all :D
Ronan Keating " When you say Nothing At All"...talking of songs ..I had a friend call to see me last week (an audiologist) and I gave her a 30 minute listen of some tracks in my dedicated music/ AV room featuring the LS-80's cables. One of the tracks I played was Michael Jackson's "Black and White" and I turned up the volume slightly for the intoduction to the song where the father is banging on the floor below to ask the son to turn down the music, Kim (my audiologist friend) was blown away by the quality of the music and in her words "it sounds like it's real" and then I played her MJ's " Will you be there" she was even more astounded and thought it was in "surround sound" although I only have 2 speakers! I put this all:D down to the LS-80's!:D

We can all get over enthusiastic when something changes for the better. But adding an opinion without trying, be it a cable or anything else is pointless. This is most peoples hobby and passion so why piss on someone’s chips just for the sake of it.
Who pissed on your chips? he he! thats a new one on me! I love it! :D:D

you`re right there again muttley thats how i feel with the introduction of the ls-80`s in my system to the point of over enthusiasm. they`ve changed the sound that much and i`ve never heard music sounding so good and realistic. jayjay my friend/landlord hasn`t heard my system yet and so looking forward to when he does but don`t know when that`ll be lol might make him wait till i change the interconnects :D right off to work i go. see you all soon and also thank you everyone :)

Hi Graham, thanks for the ls-80 review. I’m no expert in cables but is there a large price difference between the ls-80 and the odyssey? Have you tried some chord higher in the range? I’m looking for a new set to replace some NACA5 that are too long for my set-up.

advertisement

Back