advertisement

Ergo Number Nine - Adventures in Micromonitor Design

Mitred joints scare the willies out of me, did you have to finish the cut edges after the mitre saw cut?
Before I got the Makita compound slide saw, I used to have to trim with a 45-degree router bit. The Makita cuts incredibly accurately and cleanly. A cross-cut surface feels like it's been planed.

The harder part is assembling mitre joints. The ideal would be a clamping jig that compresses evenly in both planes. I don't have one, so I used biscuits to help joint alignment and bound them together with my usual complement of clamps.

James

Are you kidding - that looks like something I'd use to slice bread ;)

Lol...they all say that until they try one, then they quietly order one and the western hand saw is rapidly forgotten...

It's also a lot faster as the cut width is only 1mm, has no offset on the teeth(perfect flush cuts) and cuts on the pull stroke.

Before I got the Makita compound slide saw, I used to have to trim with a 45-degree router bit.

That's what I would have to use (not having that nice Makita).

My tip for the day to would-be cabinet builders;

The glued panels would need to be dead flat no matter how well you cut them, or the mitres will not meet evenly.

Mr Tibbs

The harder part is assembling mitre joints. The ideal would be a clamping jig that compresses evenly in both planes. I don't have one, so I used biscuits to help joint alignment and bound them together with my usual complement of clamps.

Strap clamps are the solution for mitre joints but keep the biscuits.

The glued panels would need to be dead flat no matter how well you cut them, or the mitres will not meet evenly.
Hah! You'll be surprised what precisely located biscuits and several hundred pounds of clamping pressure will do to crooked panels.

James

Strap clamps are the solution for mitre joints but keep the biscuits.
I did use straps when assembling the first cabinet, but found that they couldn't exert enough pressure to bring my slightly warped boards together tightly. I guess that is the price I pay for using scrap wood. So far, everything has been made from scraps, and the primo planks of virgin Sapele remain untouched.

James

James, I think you're right - these are generating a lot of interest. I have way too many projects on the go, but would be really interested in building a pair of these as office speakers.

Mat - wasn't suggesting you didn't have the skills to do this build - just that I had the feeling that James was (rightly) keen to ensure that prospective builders would be able to make a decent fist of it. And I'm not taking my Arcs apart just so you can see how they go together ;)

Now, I recall that a certain forum member had access to CNC machinery, I wonder if that's still the case...

james

I always like to use a suitable line from a country song in titles of posts.

Mr Tibbs told me tonight about the 9s ... I have enough American Black Walnut left to build a nest of tables or the shells of these babes.

Will the Lord of the Ergos give me permission to offer up the biscuit jointer to the mitred edges?

I have been out of circulation for a while ... photographic expeditions all over the world and 8-9 months ago the arrival of a grandson and two idetical twin granddaughters.

But the manly urge to grab hold of a router is returning and these wee beauts would clash with nothing Chez Dubois.

quincy

It's becoming like old times with all these names coming out of the woodwork (if you pardon the pun).

Looking forward to watching the progress from the sidelines.

Sounds like Mat is all set to go for these. I'm also interested to know how these compare with the Kans, which makes Mat an ideal candidate.

James

James,

Can i start looking for materials now? or would it be more sensible to wait until you finish yours?

I'm really eager to start making the boxes.

I've got some glue already, it's not gorilla glue but it's obviously the same stuff. I may have found a supplier for the timber, i just need to phone them to make sure.

All i need is a list of materials that i need to get. Should i PM you with my email address?

It's becoming like old times with all these names coming out of the woodwork (if you pardon the pun).

Yeah - welcome back quincy.

Everybody's getting fired up about these nines :)

Mr Tibbs

Will the Lord of the Ergos give me permission to offer up the biscuit jointer to the mitred edges?

I have been out of circulation for a while ... photographic expeditions all over the world and 8-9 months ago the arrival of a grandson and two idetical twin granddaughters.

But the manly urge to grab hold of a router is returning and these wee beauts would clash with nothing Chez Dubois.
It's good to see you back here, Quincy. I've been wondering where on earth you had disappeared to. Congratulations on the extension of the clan. I understand the good thing about grandchildren is you can hand them back to their parents. I'm still working on growing up my two daughters; the younger one just turned 11 today.

It'll be a thrill for me to have you build the E-IXs. They are rather smaller than the E-IIIs, but other than sheer scale and perhaps the last half octave of extension - I expect they punch way above their weight; such is the reputation of the wee Scan-speak 15W8530K-01. But I'm probably getting ahead of myself, and I should let the adventure unfold in good time.

Walnut is a lovely wood, even if mine is made up of scraps. :D

James

Can i start looking for materials now? or would it be more sensible to wait until you finish yours?

I'm really eager to start making the boxes.

I've got some glue already, it's not gorilla glue but it's obviously the same stuff. I may have found a supplier for the timber, i just need to phone them to make sure.
Mat,

I can't see any harm in making the boxes. However, I would wait until I have designed the XO so you can order all the driver and XO bits at the same time. If you can specify your machined timber width to be at least 260mm, it'll save you jointing time. Will you be using Walnut?

James

Will you be using Walnut?

James

I would like to try and make them as similar to yours as possible. So i will be on the lookout for some black american walnut, or at least the nearest i can get to that.

James,
I was cleaning out some files this weekend and found the first 8 web pages of the Ergo IV stuff, that I had printed out, it is probably 40 pages printed. I had forgotten the "another loudspeaker design to be hatched" thread. I believe those files have been listed as "lost" in some other discussions. If you have any interest in it, I would be happy to post them over to you.
Sorry for the interuption, lets see if you can tease me enough to ask for permission to join in the build.
thank you for the wonderful combinations of DIY, wood and good sound.
Tim - Seattle

Hi Tim,

Do you mean New Speakers for Ashley - The hard way? If so, I think it is preserved for prosperity here on PFM. i don't think Tony is pruning the DIY section. However, if it was my original thread - then I'm not sure where I had documented my design because I can't find it here. Could have been on the Naim Forum though. It's been so long I can't remember.

Did I really help generate 40 pages worth of waffle? :D

James

advertisement

Back