advertisement

Equipment stands

Deano

pfm Member
i have been looking at a few hifi stands and all i find is same old same old.

what else is out there?

of course lots of dealers do atacama and hifi racks but i can find very little else. Have most of the mid price suppliers gone?

so the question is whats out there between the likes of atacama and Finite Elemente.

any help would be great.

DIY?
It saves a lot of money. Especially with something simple like stands.

If you have a idea and a carpenter for the things to prepared, it's easy. And individually.

regards
f.s.

I've got one of those racks - they're OK, but a bit 'handmade' - the legs are not quite all perpendicular to the shelves, and if there is not weight on the shelves then one spike will not locate into the spike foot on the shelf below (they come with numbers on to show which order they have to be stacked in, because some will simply not stack together properly at all - a pain if you have different height shelves like me and you might want to swap them in the future). The waxed finish was okay, but I had to polish in some bits that he'd not finished off. And a few spike feet were glued in at a bit of an angle, little blobs of glue around the edges of the feet here and there. Nothing major, but I had expected a top quality product for the money really.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
I've got one of those racks - they're OK, but a bit 'handmade' - the legs are not quite all perpendicular to the shelves, and if there is not weight on the shelves then one spike will not locate into the spike foot on the shelf below (they come with numbers on to show which order they have to be stacked in, because some will simply not stack together properly at all - a pain if you have different height shelves like me and you might want to swap them in the future). The waxed finish was okay, but I had to polish in some bits that he'd not finished off. And a few spike feet were glued in at a bit of an angle, little blobs of glue around the edges of the feet here and there. Nothing major, but I had expected a top quality product for the money really.

Thanks. You've just done me a good turn. I was seriously considering ordering one of these but I'll look around for something else now instead.

Have you seen the price? And it looks ugly as hell. Could you live with something like that in your living room?

Then they do this too...
http://www.musicworks-hifi.com/products/peek-machine-screw-update-revo-3-lite/
12 screws for £300?
Must be a typo?
£3 from B&Q more like.

I have a Quadraspire AV rack for my plasma, ML centre speaker and YouView boxes and it works quite well. The rods come in different lengths and can be joined together to make even bigger shelf spacing as my centre speaker is quite tall

Steven,

Im sorry but that is possibly the most plug ugly thing purportedly designed for a domestic environment I have ever clapped eyes on.

Chris

I wouldn't trust a turntable on top of it or even my cat!

Most of the racks look the same not like furniture just slabby rectangular things that look more like garage shelving.

I made some Ash Design clones for my Hifi, shame they aren't around any more.

Pete

thanks for the input, keep it coming. like the iso blue as an option. custom designs look lush.

Muzzer you had any experience with the music works rack? i see they do a lite option as well.

Look around on the forums and eBay, old racks go for loose change. They generally need collecting so factor this in. I missed on one near Oxford that went for loose change, I was passing but the seller was out otherwise I'd have had it.

I used to be a minor Mana nut, then a Hutter nut, and am now entirely rack-free, other than a very old two tier classic Sound Org table for my TT (soon to be replaced by a wall shelf). My amps and CDP live on top of record boxes.

FWIW, as an ex-Mana, ex-Hutter guy, I was slightly browbeaten into this by someone else who shall be nameless. 99% of racks are insanely overpriced and I wouldn't give them houseroom. DIY isolation is good fun (eg Vuk's efforts years ago), and on top of any decent, flat, solid bit of furniture (ideally low mass), things sound fine.

Sonically, I don't miss the racks one iota. But organisationally I do a bit. Organising kit laterally can be a serious pain in terms of lengths of ICs, etc. I'm glad I did it though, as the whole thing just looks a lot nicer and makes moving things around much, much easier.

advertisement

Back