advertisement

Emma Raducanu continues to improve.

10.00 news tonight said “Britain’s Emma Raducana makes it to the final”. I don’t think we own her. Emma Raducanu from Britain please.

All part of the media overkill and flag shagging hysteria that I despise.

I read an article today that took joy in that small period of your life when you are mighty(that she is in) he quoted a tut tut from one of the ex- tennis commentators when she put a killer pass so close to the line. Her opponent was running in the opposite direction so it wasn’t necessary; it was just a heightening of the pleasure. They were both right but only one commentator read the moment for what it was.

“Britain’s Emma Raducana makes it to the final”. Emma Raducanu from Britain please.

All part of the media overkill and flag shagging hysteria that I despise.

Jingoism or patriotism? Possibly scepticism as she is part Romanian, part Chinese, born in Canada and was resident and schooled in Bromley thereafter. What the hell, she's a welcome breath of tennis air regardless. Oh yes, a bonus ! We can pronounce her surname, which hails from the country containing the only true Latin descendants of the Roman empire.

Last edited:
We had some practise with ‘Dogovic’ I wonder how the likes of our Nigel F cope with a pleasant British citizen that is bright, talented but happens to have started life in the womb as a commie(China) and gypsy(Romania) …. Tricky one for racists I’m thinking… :)

Nothing is "tricky" for racists. Everything is really simple - You fit the ideal racial profile or you're scum.

Murray will always be a dour Scot to those people.

Achievements come a poor second in their assessment of anyone.

We had some practiCe with ‘Dogovic’ ........ a pleasant British citizen WHO is bright, talented but happens to have started life in the womb as a commie(China)

Maybe her mother was Taiwanese and DEFINITELY not communist, or maybe from (then British) Hong Kong etc.. Balkan names are, to my mind, easier to pronounce that many eastern European/Russian names (Djokovic v. Medvedev, e.g.) or maybe not, depending on one's linguistic skills. (PractiCe = noun and practiSe = verb in British English. PractiSE for all in American English :))

Decided to watch this out of curiosity, and then realised I have absolutely no idea how tennis works. The scoring is a mystery to me. I’ll pour a decent single malt and see if it makes any more sense. I assume the lines on the floor mean stuff.

I'm quite happy hurling abuse at an opposing football team and their fans, but watching this tennis match it just seems horrible that people can cheer for one over the other.

Couldn’t be any closer in first few games. Fernandez has an excellent defence against Emma’s attempts to open up the court.

advertisement

Back