advertisement

Emma Raducanu continues to improve.

I was amused that the logo of the tournament is the silhouette of a castle. But no flying bats above it.

I dont' follow tennis, but of course saw the headlines regarding her US Open win. That win has meant that every match she plays is now news. As far as I can tell she lost her first match after the US Open and has now been knocked out of this tournament. So I ask the question ... is she "one and done"? Did she win the US Open by sheer good fortune in the draw? Is the apparent frenzy for her just because she is British, young, and pretty? Or is there substance there?

Given how well she played at Wimbledon and the US Open, there is plenty of substance there. Whether that is ever enough mentally, in the full media glare of being a good British tennis player on the tour, only time will tell. You don't win a grand slam tournement even with a favourable draw if you don't have the game.

Having seen her last year, and speaking to a friend who trained at the NTC, she was always a very bright prospect. I think the US Open was like a holiday for her. No expectations and plenty to enjoy with her team. The Tour is something else, especially if you are the centre of attention. It's a bit of a grind.
After Federer's first Wimbledon win, during which he played spectacular tennis, he went into a bit of a slump. At the World Tour Finals, he found his confidence and form again and was unbeatable.
There's a lot going on in Raducanu's head. I imagine.

Having seen her last year, and speaking to a friend who trained at the NTC, she was always a very bright prospect. I think the US Open was like a holiday for her. No expectations and plenty to enjoy with her team. The Tour is something else, especially if you are the centre of attention. It's a bit of a grind.
After Federer's first Wimbledon win, during which he played spectacular tennis, he went into a bit of a slump. At the World Tour Finals, he found his confidence and form again and was unbeatable.
There's a lot going on in Raducanu's head. I imagine.

Especially without a coach - she obviously didn't go into these end of season tournaments with any great pressure on herself to win. She needs to get that appointment right though and in time for Australia - not an easy task for a school leaver in itself.

I don't follow tennis,

I do follow and play tennis and am addicted to it despite being crap. Unlike Konta, Robson et al, all very commendable if not highly watchable, Emma comes with a different c.v. She's young, beautiful, intelligent and educated as well as well-spoken. Above all, she's fascinating to watch in action. Can't wait 'til next year's slams, esp.Roland Garros and Wombledon.

Undoubtedly Raducanu had a kind draw in the US Open, but I think she could become a top 10 player. I would love to have seen what Elena Baltacha could have achieved if she had enjoyed good health.

She needs to get her head down now that she's recovered and get some solid training under her belt.

I dont' follow tennis, but of course saw the headlines regarding her US Open win. That win has meant that every match she plays is now news. As far as I can tell she lost her first match after the US Open and has now been knocked out of this tournament. So I ask the question ... is she "one and done"? Did she win the US Open by sheer good fortune in the draw? Is the apparent frenzy for her just because she is British, young, and pretty? Or is there substance there?

Probably not. Partly. Yes. Yes. Yes. And Yes.

Probably not. Partly. Yes. Yes. Yes. And Yes.

You are a man of few words ! Mainly positive, though, I see.:)

I haven't seen the line-up, but believe Sir Andy is there; hopefully good Evans and Cameron Highlands as well. Kyle of Lochalsh? Haven't heard of him for some time. Bet we do better than our cricket team, though.

You are a man of few words ! Mainly positive, though, I see.:)

I haven't seen the line-up, but believe Sir Andy is there; hopefully good Evans and Cameron Highlands as well. Kyle of Lochalsh? Haven't heard of him for some time. Bet we do better than our cricket team, though.
I think you are confusing the England cricket team with British tennis players ...:)

Nearly two bagel sets today. But she really lost her focus after racing through the first set and allowed Stephens to step up her game.

Nearly two bagel sets today. But she really lost her focus after racing through the first set and allowed Stephens to step up her game.

I think a tough game will have done her the world of good. That was a rough draw for the first round

advertisement

Back