advertisement

Emma Raducanu continues to improve.

Do you think the absence of Osaka, Barty and Sabalenka weaken the draw that much?

Barty certainly - she's got almost double the tour points of anyone else. I meant though that covid has weakened the preparation of many of the leading players throughout the last two seasons.

Barty certainly - she's got almost double the tour points of anyone else. I meant though that covid has weakened the preparation of many of the leading players throughout the last two seasons.

Surely it has weakened all the players. Emma herself has primarily come to our attention quickly because she has been unable to play and develop in the past couple of years.

Surely it has weakened all the players. Emma herself has primarily come to our attention quickly because she has been unable to play and develop in the past couple of years.

See the article in #193

Halep in round 3 looks like a tough challenge...

See the article in #193

Good piece, hard to disagree. It was a perfect storm and a degree of fortune was certainly there. The purist always wants the ultimate winner to have beaten all the strongest players and she can only beat who ends up in front of her. Can't wait to see her play an on form and fit Barty not to mention the rest of the top 10.

It will be fascinating to see how she copes with expectation. She seems very well grounded, the coach switching seems odd to me but I am no expert and maybe they all do this.

Good piece, hard to disagree. It was a perfect storm and a degree of fortune was certainly there. The purist always wants the ultimate winner to have beaten all the strongest players and she can only beat who ends up in front of her. Can't wait to see her play an on form and fit Barty not to mention the rest of the top 10.

It will be fascinating to see how she copes with expectation. She seems very well grounded, the coach switching seems odd to me but I am no expert and maybe they all do this.

She split with the coach after the US Open - it was always a tempoary deal. She being helped by the LTA for the rest of the season to see her through.

It was incredible luck that each of her opponents and all the top seeds were in terrible form at the same time as the US open. Maybe they were timing themselves to come into form for a higher profile tournament?

Funny David!

It seems that the WTA Tour doesn't present the same consistent results as the ATP anyway. Just look up the results of the last Indian Wells tournaments, for example.
In the men's there are dominant names with repeat wins. In the women's it's a new winner almost every year.
So I wouldn't make predictions. Of the names mentioned above, only Osaka has made the final before.

I would have thought though that Raducanu's preparation will be unlike that for any of her previous tournaments. She has been rather busy on the media tour.
And she will never had had the media attention, all the press conferences, sponsor events etc etc to fit in as well.

Talking of sponsors, one of her custom made racquets came up for sale on the internet yesterday. I dithered. It has gone.
It had the old paint job that Wilson were using a couple of years back and I guess they rounded the old ones up and issued new racquets with the current paint job.

A useful lesson early in her career, hopefully. She seems to have a mature head on her shoulders, so it shouldn’t be a setback so much as a learning experience.

So she is human after all.
Exactly. She had an easy ride through the earlier tournament, this is a harder one. As others have said she's mature enough to have worked out that this is where the hard work starts. She's world class, for sure. But so are all the other top 100, and they all want to be the best. I hope she makes it, but the Wades, Navratilovas and Williams are rare breeds and don't come along every year. It remains to be seen if she has the talent, will and good fortune to avoid injury and get to those rarefied heights.

A heavy ball and a slow court took away her advantage and she didn’t have the game to adapt.

Her opponent played excellent tennis.

I think if she had had to come through qualifying she might have faired better.

A heavy ball and a slow court took away her advantage and she didn’t have the game to adapt.

Her opponent played excellent tennis.

I think if she had had to come through qualifying she might have faired better.

I think this is correct, a world away from Flushing.Learn and adapt is the key, we shall see what she has.

I wonder if she'll now get Netflix to make a documentary about what a tortured soul she's become and how she's had to endure so much and then when not enough attention is paid to her she will 'lose' a ring and magically find it again ;)

Worth a watch!

I'd love to, but haven't a clue how to without subscribing to Sky Sports or whatever company. Not even sure if my 9 y.o. Sony can adjust to modern media tech. though it's probably got the edge on me ! I'm with Virgin, with Freeview as a back-up.

advertisement

Back