advertisement

Emma Raducanu continues to improve.

3rd set to Wang 6-4. She just didn't have the deep fitness for a long match like that, she threw up a few times on the side. Shame.

Commentator on bbc, perhaps Tracy Austin?, was saying though that 'many positives' should be taken from the loss, that she could last deep into a 3rd set shows positive progress basically being her pov.

It must really screw your head up to win the US so young & from nowhere, & be continually having to play relative to that win: I think the mental battle is on a par with her physical battle.

Interesting to see if Wang gets thumped next round- then I think some major Q's about Radacanu could be justified.

Footballers returning from serious injury and months out of the game (which I'm much more familiar with) would typically need a good 2-3 months to gain full match fitness once playing again. Fans expect too much too quickly in football too. I'm not going to judge, it's far too early.

Even as a relative sporting ignoramus, it's obvious to me that Raducanu has ability in spades.
Her problems are obviously a combination of psychology and match fitness.

Even as a relative sporting ignoramus, it's obvious to me that Raducanu has ability in spades.
Her problems are obviously a combination of psychology and match fitness.
Yup exactly I agree, although one other aspect too needs sorting- the coach situation, she needs a steady eddie.

As upthread I feel a sensitive/appropriate sports psychologist would be beneficial. Though I guess they will be coming out the woodwork - just needs the right one. She's clearly a bright lass, but the bright ones sometimes need most help.

Steve

It was just fitness. She was vomiting at the side of the court and the medics had a blood pressure machine and pulse oximeter on her for goodness sake. Most decent people would say how brave of her not to concede the game at that point...

Maybe it's time for Emma to consider another career.

I think she's just fine with this one.

It'll take a while for her to get back to match fitness and those in the know were impressed by her performance.
I just hope she does not enter too many WTA 500 tournaments before the French, although her many sponsors may wish differently.
Not much was said about her 2021 USA final opponent Leylah Fernandez, who was dumped out by Alycia Parks on Wednesday. Even when you've no medical issues, you can have an off day.

Jelena Ostapenko entertained the spectators today, (again) this time by chucking her team out of their box, (rather than just blaming them) when things weren't going well against Ajla Tomljanović, with whom she has history.
Ajla accused her of cheating, at Wimbledon in 2021, when Jelena took a long medical timeout between games when she wasn't playing well, not as would be usual, at the end of a set. She went on to lose to the Australian.

But Ostapenko got her act together and came through, 6-0, 3-6, 6-4.
She now faces Victoria Azerenka, who sported yellow knickers over her black, "Max Wall tights." A most odd combination.
If she keeps it together, I think Jelena will win.

Sad to see Rybakina out as well. After the longest tie-break. Although I wish she would smile, just a little.

advertisement

Back