advertisement

Emma Raducanu continues to improve.

Why they don’t think about the route to the player box before it becomes a problem is concerning

You can't expect the designers of largest tennis stadium in the world in the global superpower to think of everything.
Or : does making this emotional route easy make money ? If "yes" do it. If "no" forget it.
btw the title of this thread is a bit outdated now.

Last edited:
As regards the noise at serving which I had also noticed.

My wife believes it is the server's foot landing on the surface of the hard court. Possibly emphasized by the roof being closed.

Early in the match I thought I could hear a net with every serve. I don't know if it was the follow through of the racquet slightly hitting the court or a foot landing. But I managed to somehow tune it out and didn't notice it at all during the second set.

I enjoyed it, though I suspect much of it was just seeing a couple of people so fresh, young and talented obviously take everyone by surprise. As stated I have no understanding of the technique or even the rules at this point, so I don’t have the ability to watch the way I do say cycling, skateboarding or F1. I didn’t understand why Fernandez got so upset and angry about the stoppage. I’ll give it another go at some point.
She obviously didn't have a full grasp of the rules, though we couldn't hear what was being said. I imagine she was soon put right after the match.

At Wimbledon centre court, you often hear a double bang. The microphones pick up the ball strike and replay it through the court speakers and you hear that before the real sound.

One of the most fascinating aspects is the change from Wimbledon meltdown to cool, calm and collected all the way through. Looks mentally bullet-proof now.
I'd love to know the process of that journey.
Her "meltdown" was a panic attack which can leave you feeling like you can't breathe (i know, i have suffered many over the years) very nasty & no one could continue in any circumstance, never mind at a professional tournament. I imagine with the team she has around her she has techniques in place to prevent further episodes & is why she looked far calmer during her time at the US open.

What ever they did for her, it's quite incredible. You'd never know that she suffered the way that she did at Wimbledon. I'm glad she appears to have moved on.

She’s 19. Remember ourselves at 19? Who here could have been that calm and focussed under those circumstances? Not me anyway. We called it ‘nerves’ and most of us suffered once or twice. In my case I was shooting for a place on the GB team, had two shots to take when it hit me. Ballsed it up as a result. Not nearly as huge an event as hers either. She was great I thought.

One thing I love about Raducanu is that she doesn't let herself get mugged into giving away careless soundbites when being interviewed.
She’s the complete package this one. Super talented, good looking and smart. She’s set to become one of the biggest names in sport if she keeps this level of play up. Great final, pity my recording stopped at the injury break so I ended up googling the result.

Still almost laughing at a qualifier winning a grand slam without dropping a set along the way. That’s some going.

Early in the match I thought I could hear a net with every serve. I don't know if it was the follow through of the racquet slightly hitting the court or a foot landing. But I managed to somehow tune it out and didn't notice it at all during the second set.
Same here but I couldn’t tune it out.

Still almost laughing at a qualifier winning a grand slam without dropping a set along the way. That’s some going.

Not only some going and not only a record, but a unique record; it's never been accomplished before in any slam. Add to this that she did it all in straight sets and you probably have a unique record within a unique record (if that's poss.)

Here's some perspective from Jonathan Liew in the Observer yesterday

"...These questions matter because if Raducanu is to enjoy any sort of a fair crack at success in the coming months and years, we owe it to her to put her achievement in perspective: to at least admit the possibility that this was a glorious aligning of the fates, a happy confluence of form and feel and freedom enabled by a kind draw and a sport in flux."

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/b...open-win-was-a-glorious-aligning-of-the-fates

In my case I was shooting for a place on the GB team, had two shots to take when it hit me

In tennis, Rocky? If so, I was only 50 years behind you. ;) Emma's 18, I believe, but Leylah Fernandez was 19. Regardless, there were only months between their ages.

Nah…Rifle shooting. I’d had 5 of 7 shots at 500 yds and scored 24/25. 10 for the last 2 and I was a shoe in. 9 looked like a shoot off. I hit 2 inners for 8 and 32/35. Decent county standard, not good enough for GB.

She’s the complete package this one. Super talented, good looking and smart. She’s set to become one of the biggest names in sport if she keeps this level of play up.

Yes to all of that, and I hope Emma can become a top player for years to come.

Hugely marketable, of course, and probably not just the usual endorsement deals with the likes of Rolex and Mercedes. In fluent Mandarin...

A little thank you message to her Chinese fans

Indian wells starts tomorrow and Fernandez is in the same half of the draw. Be interesting to see if she can build on her success.

advertisement

Back