advertisement

Election night 2019 / aftermath

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mark,

Meme is very English. The word was coined by Oxford evolutionary biologist Richard Dawkins. He used the word in his first book The Selfish Gene to mean a unit of cultural inheritance that self-replicates and spreads much as genes do, though with less fidelity. (Obviously, because DNA replication is governed by enzymes that know their onions.)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meme

Its etymology: The word meme is a shortening (modeled on gene) of mimeme (from Ancient Greek μίμημα pronounced [míːmɛːma] mīmēma, "imitated thing", from μιμεῖσθαι mimeisthai, "to imitate", from μῖμος mimos, "mime") coined by British evolutionary biologist Richard Dawkins in The Selfish Gene (1976) as a concept for discussion of evolutionary principles in explaining the spread of ideas and cultural phenomena.

Dawkins wrote that evolution depended not on the particular chemical basis of genetics, but only on the existence of a self-replicating unit of transmission—in the case of biological evolution, the gene. For Dawkins, the meme exemplified another self-replicating unit with potential significance in explaining human behaviour and cultural evolution.​

Joe

The OED cites the first use of 'meme' in the internet sense as 1998:

'1998 Sci. & Technol. Week (transcript of CNN TV programme) (Nexis) 24 Jan. The next thing you know, his friends have forwarded it [sc. an animation of a dancing baby] on and it's become a net meme.'

I think I need a face slap or two.
giphy.gif

Dec,

Indeed, and you never know when a recessive meme suddenly will be expressed, or what environmental cue triggered it.

Joe

Ha! Love the title...”Aftermath”. For some reason various scenes from Stanley Kubrick films are popping into my head, oh and Lindsay Anderson. I wonder how much crowing (over the rubble) there’ll be tomorrow?

I saw "If" several times when I was a student in '68. Great film, and I remember coveting the Bren LMG.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back