advertisement

Ebay Problem - What would you do?

sorry you had this hassle i know what you mean ebay and paypal can be harsh when selling then buyer no matter how rude has the high ground.
don't start me on ebay and couriers if you send via ebay then you ae not the customer if any issues ebay are and the courier only respond to ebay oh and paypal freeze the payment as same time

I don't want to cause undue stress here but this isn't right. eBay will side with the buyer more often than not even when there is no logic to their way of thinking. I've been there, believe me.

I beg to differ. I've been using ebay since they started in the UK and have never had a problem resolving disputes. Been there, done it all. Mind you, I've always followed ebay guidelines to the letter rather than rely on potentially dodgy advice given on forums.

In my experience, the oft-repeated forum advice of "Ebay always sides with the buyer" is a load of received wisdom twaddle.

Well it's done now.

Just had a fabulous hour of empty house and immodest SPLs. That was worth £15 of anyone's money :)

Oh, and I suspect everyone is right. Different experiences of Ebay depending on who is dealing with the issue and what mood they are in.

Contact Ebay, explain what has happened, they might just refund you out of their pockets, it has been known so worth a try.

I would touch base with EBay at first, explain the problem and see what they say.
A friend of mine got a $ 2 000.00 CDN credit from EBay themselves as the vintage wooden Louis XIV table he ordered was shipped to the wrong address and he never received it.
I lately got a credit of $ 1 000.00 CDN from PayPal for an Exposure amplifier and it’s been resolved within 24 hours. I never got in touch with the seller, only PayPal and they did the footwork for me.

I beg to differ. I've been using ebay since they started in the UK and have never had a problem resolving disputes. Been there, done it all. Mind you, I've always followed ebay guidelines to the letter rather than rely on potentially dodgy advice given on forums.

In my experience, the oft-repeated forum advice of "Ebay always sides with the buyer" is a load of received wisdom twaddle.
It's not received wisdom if I've been subject to it's unfairness. I'd tell the story about my amp but I just can't be bothered to have it picked apart to prove your rare experience.

Contact Ebay, explain what has happened, they might just refund you out of their pockets, it has been known so worth a try.

Yep! Has happened to me before. I’ve generally found Ebay great to deal with, so long as you keep literally every bit of communication necessary to back yourself up for any dispute, and are to the point but polite about it. Worth a try :)

I would like to say thanks to all for your comments!

With the benefit of this experience I have revised some of my oher listings for my dad's old kit.

I sold a tuner to a guy then he contested the shipping which was accurate. He then time wasted so I cancelled the sell. I put it back on and he bid again and won, then contested the shipping again.What an idiot.I sold it to the guy he pipped.Some will try it on. Just tell him sold as seen then leave it.

Last edited:
I got this all the time when I sold stuff on eBay.

The trick always seems to be the same - the seller reports that the item is incomplete or not as advertised, BUT they still want to keep it with a discount.

I always offered a full refund once the item is returned and funnily enough virtually all of the complaints went away then.

A couple of examples:

I once sold a brand new hard drive that I had only opened to test. The buyer received it and immediately said that there were multiple bad sectors and it was 'unusable' so he thought a 50% discount was in order. He didn't want to send it back for a full refund though!

I sold an Oculus Rift VR headset, again testing that everything was working before I sent it. When the buyer received it, one of the hand controllers was suddenly broken and he wanted a £65 partial refund to buy a brand new one. Again, he had no interest in returning it, and didn't accept my offer of sending him a new controller either, only the money would suffice.

You've done the right thing, though. Life IS too short to argue over £15, but I've decided it's also far too short to sell anything on eBay again!

I would like to say thanks to all for your comments!

With the benefit of this experience I have revised some of my oher listings for my dad's old kit.
One of my little companies has sold over 400,000 items on Ebay and we get royally screwed by some scum bag or other about twice per month - it goes with the territory as a retailer. Ebay will generally enable said screwing which is why its so common. For us, its a numbers game - we allow for it.
But, as a listing causes us problems we revise it, refine it until we've removed anything that may cause misunderstanding - no matter how far fetched. The hard of understanding are always with us and it's never ever their fault. So I think that making your listings ultra plain and very clear is always worthwhile. It wont save you when things go wrong - Ebay truly dont care, but it may head off a few more goons.

I sold an amplifier on eBay. The buyer decided to open it up up.and look inside because he thought there was a fault with the headphone jack. I questioned this when he messaged me and he said he's opened up to look inside; he thought there was a fault. I raised this issue with eBay; they sided with the buyer gave him his money back and I had to pay to have the amp returned to me.

Give me your 'since day one' advice on this one.

I sold an amplifier on eBay. The buyer decided to open it up up.and look inside because he thought there was a fault with the headphone jack. I questioned this when he messaged me and he said he's opened up to look inside; he thought there was a fault. I raised this issue with eBay; they sided with the buyer gave him his money back and I had to pay to have the amp returned to me.

Give me your 'since day one' advice on this one.

I had that too with a SUT, guy bought it and clearly no clue about SUTs he said it was faulty as he could hardly hear anything from the ‘needle’ I had to pay for the return and he received a full discount from both me and eBay so he got about £200 for nothing.

I subsequently sold the SUT to a Wammer for the same price plus postage to the Far East.

eBay seems to be a reflection of the wider population - around 80% decent folk, 18% not so decent, and 2% nutters!

Ebay is fine if you're buying, especially from one of the big sellers, it's not so good if you're selling, I sell the odd second hand boiler spare part and I sold a pair of speakers recently and so far no problems but there's always a concern a buyer complains further down the line.

i bought a new pair of speakers from an eBay seller on Monday who contacted me yesterday telling me that the speakers would be delayed and offered a full refund (£399) which I accepted and he processed the refund almost instantly which is great customer service.

I buy boiler spares regularly on eBay and by and large the parts are cheap relative to local suppliers and no real problems with the sellers so far.

That's my concern Darren. To be honest I would rather chuck the thing in the bin, or offer it on here for a token charity gesture, but it's too late now.

Can he open a return case when it's "spares or repair" and "no returns accepted"?
Don’t let him win. Insist that he return it. Even if it costs you £15 for return postage, at least he doesn’t profit.

Fair point Andy, but I win by getting rid of the machine. So lose-lose doesn't sound like a good solution.

Somebody else can challenge the him... just like the dickhead driver on the motorway, I am no longer the person who will try to impede his progress. Move over, relax and let somebody else be Charles Bronson.

On reflection, I think I've done the right thing.
The problem with going down the dispute route is that Ebay insist on the seller trying to sort out the problem directly with the buyer first. By that time, the buyer can have started the dispute procedure and then it's a lottery (with lottery odds for the seller??) as to who will win.

Fair point Andy, but I win by getting rid of the machine. So lose-lose doesn't sound like a good solution.

Somebody else can challenge the him... just like the dickhead driver on the motorway, I am no longer the person who will try to impede his progress. Move over, relax and let somebody else be Charles Bronson.

On reflection, I think I've done the right thing.
The problem with going down the dispute route is that Ebay insist on the seller trying to sort out the problem directly with the buyer first. By that time, the buyer can have started the dispute procedure and then it's a lottery (with lottery odds for the seller??) as to who will win.

I agree with you, karma will hopefully be a bitch for your buyer!

advertisement

Back