advertisement

Ebay Problem - What would you do?

S-Man

Kinkless Tetrode Admirer
I recently sold a R2R recorder on Ebay as "Spares or Repair" with Condition marked as "For Parts or Not Working".

I mentioned a couple of cosmetic faults and included photos of them.
The buyer has received the item and noticed that a knob is missing. He wants a £15 refund. However he acknowledges that one of the pictures clearly shows the knob is missing.

He claims that the item is not as described. However the description never said that the machine was complete, only that there were 2 faults that I was aware of (and I suspected the machine was not working).

Not sure if I'm allowed to link to the listing on here??

What would you do in this situation?

Sold as non working spares or repair not a leg to stand on only way if photo shows it attached then he has a case failing that as said sold as seen

First thing that I'd do, and you probably have, is to point out the fact that the picture shows that a knob was missing, and see his reaction.

Depending upon the answer, contact eBay and ask their advice. Several times I have found them very helpful.

Thanks chaps!
Musst admit I read the Ebay stuff on how to avoid a dispute and felt very much that the seller carries all the risk on Ebay.

Anyway, I will reply to him as Radfordman suggests and see what happens.

He should have sent you a message about the missing knob as it was clearly photographed, before committing to buy.

Fingers crossed you won’t have any issues, and I’ve found Ebay very helpful in the past with any disputes.

As I understand buyer can allways decide a return/refund if used paypal
He need to pay return postage, not sure about original postage?

Ask yourself how quickly you will get to £15 worth of grief and shit from someone who isnt fit to kiss your ass.
Give him the fifteen sheets and forget about him. Add him to your banned bidder list.

He can open a return case and then you will have to go through reselling it etc. Ebay wont side with you.

That's my concern Darren. To be honest I would rather chuck the thing in the bin, or offer it on here for a token charity gesture, but it's too late now.

Can he open a return case when it's "spares or repair" and "no returns accepted"?

Is £15 a significant proportion of the sale price? Is it worth your time and the negative feedback you might get by fighting it out? eBay tends to give buyers the benefit of the doubt in disputes like this, so unless you made a point of highlighting the missing knob, there is a good chance that you will lose if the dispute is escalated. Their staff are pretty helpful if you call or email them, and they will be able to advise you of the best course of action, but they work within a defined set of rules which is largely tilted towards building buyers' trust in the platform. I suspect that your best options are to let the buyer have the £15, counter with an offer of your own or have the buyer return the item, in which case you might have to pay for the return postage.

Can he open a return case when it's "spares or repair" and "no returns accepted"?

Yes, because the "no returns accepted" bit only applies to remorse returns, where the buyer has a change of heart. It does not apply to items which are "not as described". I am not sure if a photo showing the recorder without the knob would be enough to satisfy eBay, but they will be able to tell you pretty quickly and before you respond to the seller.

I have refunded him the £15 (the item sold for £62, Sony TC366). With a note saying that I think it is very unfair but that "life is too short, as it was for my father to whom the R2R belonged".

Actually dad got to almost 92 and had a great life working and travelling around the globe, but I thought this guy needs his conscience pricking.

Looks like he's a sort of dealer who buys these things cheap and does them up for resale.

What you should do in future is to write something to the effect of:
"Please look closely at the photos of the item as they form part of the description, and you may notice minor flaws not mentioned in the text description".

Maybe it would give you a bit more solid ground to stand on.

He sounds like a POS looking to grind you for his commercial margin. On principle I'd have told him to GTFOOH.

advertisement

Back