advertisement

Dyson

Apparently its ok for Dyson to relocate to Singapore 'because they are a global business', Globalism, which results in manufacturing jobs going east, being replaced by Mcjobs, and an over reliance on the financial sector, the left behind have every reason to upset the status quo and vote out of the EU.

That's like saying you understand why someone who got their left leg cut off in a car accident were so upset that they chopped off the other one themselves.

That's like saying you understand why someone who got their left leg cut off in a car accident were so upset that they chopped off the other one themselves.
May'be they feel they've got nothing left to lose? This is only one of the reasons given for people voting Brexit anyway. Surely its better to try to understand them? Or you could go over to the 'Oh Britain what have you done' thread and read the millionth post on how stupid these people are and how we should repeal one person one vote.

Perhaps so, but according to the BBC report Tuesday, Dyson paid £95 million to the exchequer in 2017. See here https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-46962093
Perhaps we are confusing Dyson the person with Dyson the company but I'd suggest that, even collectively, every member of Pink Fish hasn't paid £95 million to the Exchequer ever, let alone in one year. Still, I suppose you are entitled to your view.

Quick Edit - there are more PFM members than I thought and thus its only about £3K a year each to get to £95 million - but my point remains.

These bloody entrepreneurs forming companies to make things people will buy and thus employing people and creating wealth, bastards the lot of them.

And for what its worth, personally, I think his vacuum cleaners are excellent and I don't give a toss about his politics.

Regards,

Rob.
Thing is, by making his HQ in Singapore, he’ll now pay his corporation tax there, not in the U.K. He’ll only pay corporation tax in the U.K. on U.K. profits, global profits will go to Singapore. Any bets there isn’t a ‘management’ charge on the U.K. trading that wipes out all but a notional profit from here on?

5be6ef55bb1580e8e879540d8d7de511fcaeacf9.jpeg

Thing is, by making his HQ in Singapore, he’ll now pay his corporation tax there, not in the U.K. He’ll only pay corporation tax in the U.K. on U.K. profits, global profits will go to Singapore. Any bets there isn’t a ‘management’ charge on the U.K. trading that wipes out all but a notional profit from here on?

That is the point. Businesses have choices and it is quite within their rights to decide where and how they wish to operate. It's not all about Brexit, there are numerous factors that organisations take in to account when determining how to structure themselves. Transfer pricing is not quite as simple as applying an ad hoc management charge, profit generation is monitored and has to be reported reasonably.

May'be they feel they've got nothing left to lose? This is only one of the reasons given for people voting Brexit anyway. Surely its better to try to understand them? Or you could go over to the 'Oh Britain what have you done' thread and read the millionth post on how stupid these people are and how we should repeal one person one vote.

Yeah but are you not going to tell them who you really are? Don’t keep everyone in suspense.

That is the point. Businesses have choices and it is quite within their rights to decide where and how they wish to operate. It's not all about Brexit, there are numerous factors that organisations take in to account when determining how to structure themselves. Transfer pricing is not quite as simple as applying an ad hoc management charge, profit generation is monitored and has to be reported reasonably.

Of course they can in normal times.
But not after championing Brexit and then move headquarters to Singapore which has a trade agreement with the EU. Imagine if all UK companies follow suit as a result of Brexit ?
If he said Brexit is a disaster and we are moving HQ out of UK to mitigate that would be fine.
All leading Brexiteers have escape routes/private ways to profit from Brexit. Hypocrites.

Apparently its ok for Dyson to relocate to Singapore 'because they are a global business ... Businesses have been going East for decades, they are not patriots, but then neither am I. This all boils down to global capital/labour divisions.

It's always struck me odd, the romanticized allegiances with corporations that give rise to a nationalistic brand loyalty. As if companies exist to serve them or the nation and not their own survival through profits. It's ludicrous. Most are planet-trashing apes like the rest of us, with little true allegiance to anything beyond a tight inner circle. They just happen to operate on a grander scale.

It's always struck me odd, the romanticized allegiances with corporations that give rise to a nationalistic brand loyalty. As if companies exist to serve them or the nation and not their own survival through profits. It's ludicrous. Most are planet-trashing apes like the rest of us, with little true allegiance to anything beyond a tight inner circle. They just happen to operate on a grander scale.

Not sure that is true everywhere. France ? Germany ? Japan ? But I admit it's not much of a hardship for a German to buy Made in Germany.

Emm, I love some UK brands actually! Shoe makers, knitwear 'made in scotland', I love some American and Italian shoe brands as well such as Alden, its just appreciation, but yes there is a closer affiliation to UK brands. The old 'Made in England' thing is somewhat laughable now though, on its own that is.

Maybe Dyson has come to the conclusion that our MPs and others with EU pensions, perks and slurps to protect are never going to allow a proper Brexit to happen and has decided to say bollox to it.

I do wonder if they’ve had a serious wobble from his pro-Brexit stance and are feeling some impact on the brand. Based on the demographics I see on the remain vote, I would think that’s a pretty big part of their target market.

Here in Ireland at least, they are advertising everywhere with extensive in-store demos and so on, way more than in the past. Possibly just upping their game, not sure......

Of course they can in normal times.
But not after championing Brexit and then move headquarters to Singapore which has a trade agreement with the EU. Imagine if all UK companies follow suit as a result of Brexit ?
If he said Brexit is a disaster and we are moving HQ out of UK to mitigate that would be fine.
All leading Brexiteers have escape routes/private ways to profit from Brexit. Hypocrites.
I'm neither a Brexiteer nor wealthy enough to profit from this if it all goes wrong but I have an escape route.

I do wonder if they’ve had a serious wobble from his pro-Brexit stance and are feeling some impact on the brand. Based on the demographics I see on the remain vote, I would think that’s a pretty big part of their target market.

Here in Ireland at least, they are advertising everywhere with extensive in-store demos and so on, way more than in the past. Possibly just upping their game, not sure......

I should imagine some have seen through the ruse with the 500 quid sucker he is now peddling. Its all a bit much, get wood floors!

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-britain-dyson-singapore-idUSKCN1PG205

The article claims that the U.K. accounts for less than 10% of their global sales so the impact of Brexit will be negligible- maybe even positive due to the fall in sterling lowering employment costs.

I won’t ever buy a dyson though thanks to his campaign for Brexit

advertisement

Back