advertisement

Dispute with Amazon

If Matthew has been provided with a proof of delivery that is believed fraudulent then he is a victim of fraud and should report it as that.

No he is not, nor is he a victim of theft.

This is essentially a civil matter between him and Amazon. He paid for goods that he did not receive. Why he did not receive them is nothing to do with him, that is Amazon's problem, and they should refund his money. Simple.

Is it really such a bother to pop down to your local police station and report the crime in person, all as requested by Amazon ? - who btw, have now communicated with you whereas before, they were ignoring you.

I have reported it to the police. They said I should report it via the police's Action Fraud website, which I did and got a crime reference number. Amazon said this was the wrong sort of police.

They are ignoring me in the sense that:

1) They will not answer any questions (e.g. "What proof do you have that is was delivered?", "To whom was it delivered?" etc. etc.)

2) The emails they send me cannot be replied to and bounce at their end. This means I have to raise a new query with customer services and paste the previous replies in to try to continue the conversation.

3) Their last email ended with "We won't be able to provide further assistance for your request" and they seem to view the matter as closed.

So either my bank sorts it out or I will have to sue.

And, yes, it really is a massive bother to "pop down to my local police station" given that I have done nothing wrong. The whole thing has been a complete pain in the arse and more than somewhat injurious to my health.

Matthew,

A thousand squid is a lot of cabbage and if I were bilked out of it I'd be angry, too.

That said, as I discovered when our basement flooded several years ago (the previous owner did not disclose the problem and covered up evidence of previous water issues), it might provide some satisfaction be vindicated in court, but the toll on your mental health not to mention the time and effort required to be vindicated may not, on balance, be worth it.

I chalked it up to f*** it, sometimes life sucks and shit happens.

Joe

I have reported it to the police. They said I should report it via the police's Action Fraud website, which I did and got a crime reference number. Amazon said this was the wrong sort of police.

1) They will not answer any questions (e.g. "What proof do you have that is was delivered?", "To whom was it delivered?" etc. etc.)

2) The emails they send me cannot be replied to and bounce at their end. This means I have to raise a new query with customer services and paste the previous replies in to try to continue the conversation.

3) Their last email ended with "We won't be able to provide further assistance for your request" and they seem to view the matter as closed.

And, yes, it really is a massive bother to "pop down to my local police station" given that I have done nothing wrong. The whole thing has been a complete pain in the arse and more than somewhat injurious to my health.

I'm not sure if you realise how easy it is to complete an online claim in the Small Claims Court.
It's easier than you could imagine; just do it and then relax.

Costs are related to the value of the claim so it would be a bit more than that but all refundable by Amazon when they lose.

I really enjoy visiting shops when I want something.

You see I dont and theres room for a whole other thread here. Very rarely do I enjoy visiting a shop and I normally hate trapsing round shops. I enjoy looking at hi fi in the right environment but its got to be more of a cornflake shop layout

I would make the effort for a laptop or monitor but Ive usually done enough research about what Im spending and what I want. If the sales person can point out something better or on offer, they may have a chance of selling that to me.

When passing, I popped into Evans bikes to have a quick look. I found it just overwhelming in terms of the bikes they had crammed together and the accessories. I couldnt effectively take it all in and its not the way I like to browse. I think its the way everything is fighting for floor space and I really dont like to be hit with too much in one go. I generally know whats on the market from years of internet browsing so they couldnt really add anything to that experience

I do think the high street will face continued problems and its only things I have to try on, larger or expensive items that will drive me to an out of town shopping complex

That is what I would do. Costs about £30 IIRC.

It's quite a lot more these days.

Currently suing Parcelmonkey (twice!) and Vodafone.

£35 to initiate a claim then a hearing fee, if it goes that far. Just paid £80 in the car of Voda scumbags but it's worth every penny.

Forgive me if this has been mentioned, but aren't you guaranteed by your credit card company that the product is delivered. If you haven't already, I would call them up and tell them the item hasn't been delivered.

Actually you are not!
That is a gross oversimplification of Section 75 protection.
And the OP used a debit card which offers nothing like the protection a credit card does.

Actually you are not!
That is a gross oversimplification of Section 75 protection.
And the OP used a debit card which offers nothing like the protection a credit card does.

I think Matthew said he had checked and that he had actually paid with his credit card after all.

Matthew, I can understand that you are upset. I don't know your circumstances so any opinions I express are based on what I would do in my circumstances. "popping" down to my local police station would mean a 7 mile round trip by car on one of my days off, ie a Tuesday or a Wednesday. I guess all told it would be a 2 hour event.

But in my perception, it would a whole lot less stressful than getting up tight about it and blameing Amazon, or considering court action - even Small Claims Court action.

At the moment, your only evidence is based on your word. No independent witnesses. Sure, before you went to court you might persuade Amazon to provide you their version of proof of delivery etc and any Court would want to see their evidence as well. But Court action in my opinion is the last resort, not the first.

I hope things work out for you, whichever route you choose to persue.

Matthew, I can understand that you are upset. I don't know your circumstances so any opinions I express are based on what I would do in my circumstances. "popping" down to my local police station would mean a 7 mile round trip by car on one of my days off, ie a Tuesday or a Wednesday. I guess all told it would be a 2 hour event.

But in my perception, it would a whole lot less stressful than getting up tight about it and blameing Amazon, or considering court action - even Small Claims Court action.

At the moment, your only evidence is based on your word. No independent witnesses. Sure, before you went to court you might persuade Amazon to provide you their version of proof of delivery etc and any Court would want to see their evidence as well. But Court action in my opinion is the last resort, not the first.

I hope things work out for you, whichever route you choose to persue.

You'd not get even slightly bent outa shape being fobbed off by Amazon in the way that Matthew has? As others have rightly pointed out, Matthew has no crime to report, other than a possible fraud by Amazon. Police hate having their time wasted, so reporting a 'possible' crime makes one look like a total knob end.

Matthew, hopefully your bank/credit card process is straightforward. You have evidence of communicating with the vendor that you can provide to the bank, and they're refusing to acknowledge it. They'll probably cancel your old card and issue you a new number. You should have your money back within a week or two. You'll need to initiate this promptly if you've not already.

HTH

Rico

You'd not get even slightly bent outa shape being fobbed off by Amazon in the way that Matthew has? As others have rightly pointed out, Matthew has no crime to report, other than a possible fraud by Amazon. Police hate having their time wasted, so reporting a 'possible' crime makes one look like a total knob end.

Matthew, hopefully your bank/credit card process is straightforward. You have evidence of communicating with the vendor that you can provide to the bank, and they're refusing to acknowledge it. They'll probably cancel your old card and issue you a new number. You should have your money back within a week or two. You'll need to initiate this promptly if you've not already.

HTH

Rico

Despite the inconvenience, I would have popped down to the local nick and filled in the requested crime form. I note that Matthew has already reported the crime on-line so the same details would seem to suffice.

At present we are only dealing with the possibility of a crime. Not a crime committed by Matthew. Possibly by an employee or an agent of Amazon. But of course it might be a simple mistake that needs to be put right.

And yes, I would definitely be pissed off with Amazon. But would be dealing with the problem more pro-actively. And for sure, that would include seeking the input of the credit card company that Matthew now remembers provided the finance.

Despite the inconvenience, I would have popped down to the local nick and filled in the requested crime form.

But would be dealing with the problem more pro-actively. And for sure, that would include seeking the input of the credit card company that Matthew now remembers provided the finance.

I reported the crime. Both to the police directly and via the police's official website for reporting these types of fraud. I have an official police crime number and my report is in the system.

This I believe to be preposterous for what I think are obvious reasons but is still not good enough for Amazon or, apparently, you.

advertisement

Back