advertisement

Disaster - what have I done?

I hate to say this but I broke the cantilever on a practically new Denon 103R when putting the bloody stylus guard back on.🙄
I did manage to repair it using a 9 gauge guitar string and super glue through the hollow cantilever.
It actually didn’t sound any different 🤷‍♂️
The repair only lasted about 6 months though, by which time I decided to try my luck with Audio Technica AT33ptg.
I broke that too but it lasted 12 years.
My Ittok slipped off the arm rest and bounced off of the arm board, losing the end of the stylus in the process.
It was almost certainly due to be replaced anyway.
Lastly, I severely bent the cantilever on my Goldring 1042, also while putting the guard back on.
Some people just shouldn’t have even moderately expensive cartridges….😔
Now I use an AT540 ml, with its wonderful flip down guard. 👍
Think I might be trying that .....I snapped cantilever on my very low use DL103 a couple of days ago.

I hate to say this but I broke the cantilever on a practically new Denon 103R when putting the bloody stylus guard back on.🙄
I did manage to repair it using a 9 gauge guitar string and super glue through the hollow cantilever.
It actually didn’t sound any different 🤷‍♂️
The repair only lasted about 6 months though, by which time I decided to try my luck with Audio Technica AT33ptg.
I broke that too but it lasted 12 years.
My Ittok slipped off the arm rest and bounced off of the arm board, losing the end of the stylus in the process.
It was almost certainly due to be replaced anyway.
Lastly, I severely bent the cantilever on my Goldring 1042, also while putting the guard back on.
Some people just shouldn’t have even moderately expensive cartridges….😔
Now I use an AT540 ml, with its wonderful flip down guard. 👍
Why are you putting the stylus guard back on?

Is it covered on accidental damage on house insurance, or would it disproportionately bump the premium?

Think I might be trying that .....I snapped cantilever on my very low use DL103 a couple of days ago.
I sympathise. I don’t know what arm you use but I am very pleased with the VM540.
After two AT33ptgs a mark one and then a mark two and the Denon 103r, it hasn’t let the side down.
It doesnt quite have the stunning clarity of the MC cartridges but it has a very robust sound that seems to be very even across the frequency range.

Probably.....but I'm guessing I have an excess ...plus they will get it back I guess ...

I sympathise. I don’t know what arm you use but I am very pleased with the VM540.
After two AT33ptgs a mark one and then a mark two and the Denon 103r, it hasn’t let the side down.
It doesnt quite have the stunning clarity of the MC cartridges but it has a very robust sound that seems to be very even across the frequency range.
I have a Jelco 750 ....but I discovered that my geometry was way way off ....and it was during getting this right that I damaged it ....now the geometry is spot on for my real pivot spindle distance ... so I don't know what the 301 would really sound like now. I liked it before....so I'm guessing it will be impressive with the correct geometry. I generated a protractor for my actual measurements. I have an AT F3 which is donkeys old with unknown wear ...which I know sounds better now than it used to.

Factory rebuild must be the way to go I'd have thought.

£345 against a new price of £825 is unheard of in terms of VFM. The best anybody else seems to do is about 20% off the new price. That's one aspect of owning an expensive MC that Rega obviously have thought about very carefully. If the time ever comes again I'll certainly look at their range for that reason.

I have a Jelco 750 ....but I discovered that my geometry was way way off
I'm using a Jelco 750 with 211mm (Linn spec) spindle to pivot.

Jelco spindle to pivot should be 214mm, but I'm not getting any perceptable distortion or tracking error.

I'm guessing that cartridge/headshell adjustment makes up for the 3mm discrepancy.

I put my actual measurements into a generator on vinyl engine ....and printed out (100% scale) .....glued it to an old record. ....job done. There are many posts out there on correct Jelco alignment....

**This is the text copied from a pic of the protractor ***

Jelco 750d - Löfgren A

Inner groove radius = 60.325 (IEC)

Outer groove radius = 146.050 (DIN/IEC)

Pivot to spindle distance = 214.500

Inner null radius = 65.998

Outer null radius = 120.891

Effective length = 232.355

Overhang 17.855

Offset angle 23.714°

Align cartridge to either grid.

**""""I believe Lofgren A is effectively same as Baerwald. *****
Cheers
Ger

I've got an AT cart almost at the limit on the Jelco headshell with these settings. I think you will be able to make up the distance on the headshell slots ....however ....you may need to twist the cart a few degrees to maintain it's alignment with the parallel lines.

The increase on my new Aviva policy with one claim was about £6 (amazing). As the claim with the previous company was still going through they wouldn't even take that into account. Having a lid for a t/t is, i.m.o., crucial and not just for dust. If it doesn't have one, get it made bespoke or off the peg.

I have always had a lid on my turntable, yet I have still managed to break three styli and burn out a coil on my beloved, low hours, AT33ptg mark two. 🥺
Audio Technica will not accept trade ins on broken cartridges either so that’s why I have now abandoned MC cartridges and gone back to an MM with a replaceable stylus.
I try to be careful but I’m just a clumsy old guy. 🤷‍♂️

The increase on my new Aviva policy with one claim was about £6 (amazing). As the claim with the previous company was still going through they wouldn't even take that into account. Having a lid for a t/t is, i.m.o., crucial and not just for dust. If it doesn't have one, get it made bespoke or off the peg.
I think those dust covers that folks have made to cover their entire turntable look pretty dopey to me. Drop that on your turntable while taking it off and you can do some significant damage. It would also ruin the look of the Rega. Stick with the supplied lid and do your own dusting!

Stick with the supplied lid and do your own dusting!
Yes, I love the look of the P8 and will certainly be doing my own dusting in future. In fairness, I think it was only because we have visitors coming this weekend that my wife was dusting around the turntable. I will investigate claiming on my insurance, though I have quite a hefty excess so it won't be worth it for the rebuild but I will see if they will meet the cost of a new cartridge.

advertisement

Back