advertisement

Disaster - what have I done?

Darkagesound

pfm Member
Just about to put a record on my Rega P8 and noticed the cantilever on my Ania Pro is bent. Not sure how this has happened. I'm guessing this means I need to make use of Rega's cartridge rebuild/exchange offer? Rather poor photograph below shows the damage. Any suggestions?

IMG-20240524-214857.jpg

Oh man! That cartridge isn't easily coming back from that. I was just flipping a record and did it so carefully after seeing that picture.

It could happen to any of us.

I was dusting once and totally took the needle off a klyde. I still think back to that day.

Choices: If high mileage, either Rega Xchange or have it refurbished by one of the stylus renovation companies Goldring, ESCo etc.) OR Change horses and get a different cart. (and maybe ell the Rega for a few peanuts). I've never ha the same cart twice in 40 years, although close when a Lyra Helikon followed a Clavis D.C.

Amazing that you don't know how it happened, as that is one big canti. bend requiring some force.

I've just spoken to my wife and she tells me she was dusting around the turntable earlier. I've only had the turntable for a month and I hadn't briefed her on the vulnerability of the cartridge without an enclosed lid. Oh well, the first instance of this in over 45 years of hifi, just a shame it's the most expensive cartridge I've owned.

Feeling your pain...

Do NOT claim for this on your house insurance! I thought I had weighed up the financial pros and cons and did so a couple of years ago, only to find that (yes, you guessed it) the increase in next year's renewal premiums wiped out the payout after excess. Bâtards.

I did the same on an ortofon mc25fl years ago, claimed on the house insurance, trivial change to the cost of the policy. It’s worth asking them the impact of claiming…

A bit of bad luck, fortunately Rega have good customer service and you'll be able to get it sorted without too much hassle or expense.

Methinks cartridges like this one are poorly designed. They used to have stylus guards in the old days.
Sorry about your misfortune. Il wouldn’t have happened so easily with, say, a DL103 😭
What were they thinking at Rega?

Methinks cartridges like this one are poorly designed. They used to have stylus guards in the old days.
Sorry about your misfortune. Il wouldn’t have happened so easily with, say, a DL103 😭
What were they thinking at Rega?
I hate to say this but I broke the cantilever on a practically new Denon 103R when putting the bloody stylus guard back on.🙄
I did manage to repair it using a 9 gauge guitar string and super glue through the hollow cantilever.
It actually didn’t sound any different 🤷‍♂️
The repair only lasted about 6 months though, by which time I decided to try my luck with Audio Technica AT33ptg.
I broke that too but it lasted 12 years.
My Ittok slipped off the arm rest and bounced off of the arm board, losing the end of the stylus in the process.
It was almost certainly due to be replaced anyway.
Lastly, I severely bent the cantilever on my Goldring 1042, also while putting the guard back on.
Some people just shouldn’t have even moderately expensive cartridges….😔
Now I use an AT540 ml, with its wonderful flip down guard. 👍

I did the same on an ortofon mc25fl years ago, claimed on the house insurance, trivial change to the cost of the policy. It’s worth asking them the impact of claiming…
They will tell you it is minimal. But then look at your renewal premium when you have a recent claim to declare. Well that’s what happened to me anyway; YMMV!

advertisement

Back