advertisement

Disappearance of Menus in Restaurants

I’ve not experienced this QI code menu thing but then I either eat in cheap caffs or the occasional really nice restaurant. So its either a menu on the wall or a leather bound jobby

Both equally acceptable and accessible, unlike the QR Code nonsense

So nobody ever walked (or cycled, as I used to) while reading a newspaper?

It’s like in the 60s and 70s when miserable, sour old men used to criticise people younger than themselves for having long hair. My granddad used to do it, and he was miserable from about 1935 to 1995. When he died, miserable.

PFM miserable and nothing is right

PFM miserable and nothing is right
It’s not equivalent though. Objecting to changing fashions is one thing. Observing that some people are so disengaged from their surroundings that this is is a definite and undesirable trend. Potentially dangerous, but also short term undesirable.

To the above couple of replies: I wasn’t the first person to ride into the back of a parked vehicle while riding a bike on my paper round, and I doubt I was the last. My dad used to have a shave on the way to work in the 70s. These things happen. It’s called being human. I’ve fallen off my mountain bike in Thetford forest, in my mid 50s.

There’s no normal, just ordinary. If you want to live your one and only life being ordinary, congratulations.

It’s not equivalent though. Objecting to changing fashions is one thing. Observing that some people are so disengaged from their surroundings that this is is a definite and undesirable trend. Potentially dangerous, but also short term undesirable.

too serious - chill out, it is what it is

To the above couple of replies: I wasn’t the first person to ride into the back of a parked vehicle while riding a bike on my paper round, and I doubt I was the last. My dad used to have a shave on the way to work in the 70s. These things happen. It’s called being human. I’ve fallen off my mountain bike in Thetford forest, in my mid 50s.

There’s no normal, just ordinary. If you want to live your one and only life being ordinary, congratulations.
There's a very fine line between being 'different' and being daft as a brush.

almost everywhere we go sports wear (tracksuit) is acceptable, a handful expect smarter (Jeans and T, trainers) - even one or two Michelin stars. There is one restaurant where we would like to eat, but i am not buying or even hiring a suit for a dinner. There is one 3 Michelin starred restaurant, where we are pondering (if we can get table), that has no dress code, but says come comfortable, but we appreciate smart.....

If I can't wear shorts, I'm not going.

Leaving your PIN on a post-it with your credit card in your wallet is one of the daftest things I’ve read here. Surely some mistake?!

I also think it’s contrary to the terms and conditions of most card issuers, which require users to take reasonable basic security measures.

How hard is it to remember a 4-digit PIN?

Hard when you only use it every three months, and when you have two pre-paid cards in two different countries. Then there is the "serious" credit card, for renting cars for instance, which I haven't used for almost a year. But if one wants to go all the way, one should also memorise the code to get into your desktop, laptop, "smartphone," house alarm, something for the car, online banking (nowadays several codes and passwords, and have to be changed periodically on pain of "death"), email, paypal, and god knows what else.

advertisement

Back