advertisement

Disappearance of Menus in Restaurants

PaulMB

pfm Member
Twice, recently, I found myself in restaurants (not of my choosing) that did not have a menu. There was, instead, one of those grid-like images that one was supposed to scan with one's "smart" 'phone. It works with Iphones ok, but with a Samsung you have to download an "App".
This started with Covid, ostensibly as a safety measure, but both places told me they are not going back to cardboard menus because it is easier for them the new way. The fact that it is not easier for the customer does not seem to bother them at all.
Now first of all one could decide to go out to a restaurant without having a 'phone. Moreover, you can't see all the possibilities on an open page, from the antipasti through the various courses. Also, I feel it detracts from the pleasure and relaxation of going to a restaurant.
Is this a peculiarly Italian trend, or is it happening everywhere? I've decided that next time I ring up to make a reservation I will ask if they have menus, and not reserve if they don't.

No, it's a far wider trend and one I'm not a fan of. Additionally, restaurants may be in favour as sometimes payment is taken through the app/site alongside the order.

To date, restaurants have been able to provide me with a physical menu when I've requested one, although sometimes I stick with the virtual option - they vary in their usability...

I was in a restaurant (not Italian) that uses this system the other day. It's a bit of pain yes but once you get used to it no problem. Helps restaurants with menu changes/staffing and guarantees payment - and no doubt provides some useful metadata. I'd also suggest it also encourages ordering. Ordering on an iPad is another method I've come across - certainly easier to see/read the menu.

It won't be long before we're using chatgpt and the like for all of this. "where can I get a last minute table for 4 tonight and what would you recommend from the specials board?" ;)

Perhaps it depends on the style of restaurant? Round here it tends to be more the 'busy bar with food' type of outlets that are going to virtual menus and online ordering. More traditional restaurants, especially 'fine dining' is still very much using printed menus.

You should be able to scan a QR code from the default Android camera. You should always see an icon in the corner of the picture, a small circle surrounded by 4 corner fragments of a square - tap that and any QR code in the picture will show a web link hovering over it (which you then tap on).

Sometimes it's automatic (Samsung camera app?)

Depending on the link, it will be a website, or maybe a link to an app in Play store - whatever.

Got an Iphone so no problem.
More hygienic and easier to read.
Top restaurants also using it.
Only downside for me is that it is difficult to see all options together, especially a large wine list.

More hygienic and easier to read.
Only downside for me is that it is difficult to see all options together, especially a large wine list.
Doesn't sound like my definition of 'easier to read' ;)

The problem IME is not so much the reading, as the navigating. Switching between pages, or scrolling, when a paper menu would all be on the same page.

Christ almighty, how do you lot actually get through the day? It's not exactly problem of the century is it? For goodness sake just use the phone and move on as soon enough it'll be the norm... it's change and you need to embrace it or just get left behind.

Like shops getting us to go self service, restaurants will want us to cook our own meals next.

Scanning those code things is for plebs.

I like the Greek way - just ask to see what they've got in the kitchen and choose from there - sod the menu.

Are we only permitted to discuss 'problem of the century' issues now?

I don't like the trend, it feels, to me, like a step towards restaurants with backlit images of the food at the counter. That's an exaggeration, but I don't want to peer at the small screen on my phone, I want to peruse a well laid-out menu. If there isn't one, I won't rush back.

Seems to be a trend these days. If they can't provide a physical menu, we just leave and go elsewhere.

Same here.

No menu? then they do not get my business.

My parents, who eat out frequently, would have no idea what a smart phone is. My Dad will just use his standard reply in situations such as app only menu’s. “Bollocks to that.”

Are we only permitted to discuss 'problem of the century' issues now?

I don't like the trend, it feels, to me, like a step towards restaurants with backlit images of the food at the counter. That's an exaggeration, but I don't want to peer at the small screen on my phone, I want to peruse a well laid-out menu. If there isn't one, I won't rush back.

The difference is that over time, it's more data collected on you.

2035: "Sorry Seeker, you can't have that triple bypass on the NHS, look at all the fatboy breakfasts and quattro stagionis you've had..."

;)

advertisement

Back