advertisement

Disappearance of Menus in Restaurants

it wasn't the qr code failing (lathough my xiaomi does oftern not see the codes at work), it was getting to the end of the food order on pizza hut's hideous ordering system, which defo takes longer than ordering with a server, punching in the card details and the whole thing crashes at the payment gateway. It happened twice....and you have to go back through all this shit....which size pizza, which crust type, which toppings, which drinks for 4 people....and so you have to ask your family all over again, as if you get that wrong, then all hell breaks loose when the pizza arrives.

Pizza Hut’s the worst. They need a UX overhaul.

Is it not bad manners getting your phone out at the table, anyway? My kids are banned from doing it at least.

I used to get all kinds of grief from my wife and daughter if I checked my incoming work emails during mealtimes, culminating in a particular incident when we were out at a restaurant and I got some bad news re. a promotion I'd applied for..... put me in a foul mood for the rest of the evening (and ruined their evening out to boot). Since then, I stopped doing it and, having since retired, now don't need to.

However, the roles are now reversed; my wife frequently checks incoming texts from colleagues because 'she has to...in case she gets called in to work'. :D

After reading this thread I have checked my Android phone and downloaded the app to enable reading QR codes. This after going into a restaurant in the states and being humiliated by my inability to see a menu.

Some here need to move with the times it would seem. Either that or I live in the future. I've not used physical money in years and having been given a red packet yesterday stuffed with cash I am at a loss as to what I can do with it as I live in a cashless city.

Everything here is QR code. From the taxi and metro to the trains and cafe's etc. Strol into a sushi bar, scan your table code and order. Food starts arriving in minutes and you are not being plagued by dancing staff pushing you for choices. Many resturaunts have the old style menues on card but they also have the QR option.

As for old folks struggling....I've not seen it here.......in fact quite the opposite from the 85yr old who had carried her box of cola & water etc up a mountain at 6am to sell to hikers (scan her photocpied QR and pay) to the grandma with a stall of strawberries outside the metro and a QR laminated card around her neck for payment.

It's great.

The other thing that surprises me is the refund system which is all but instant if anyone makes an error.

A joyful system.

Where do you live?

what about dressing up for dinner?

My unwritten guide on this is: if the staff are more smartly dressed than you then you are not smartly dressed enough. Because of where I work I have to dress is crappy workwear all week so enjoy putting on my out of work attire. I think its a matter of self respect to turnout looking well dressed in accordance with the time and place.

Quite a few cafes, corner shops and similar in Vienna last year had signs up telling customers its "cash only".

Not what I expected. But then I lake cash, saves me having to check bank statements each mnonth for fraudulent use of my electronic credentials.

My unwritten guide on this is: if the staff are more smartly dressed than you then you are not smartly dressed enough. Because of where I work I have to dress is crappy workwear all week so enjoy putting on my out of work attire. I think its a matter of self respect to turnout looking well dressed in accordance with the time and place.
This isn't a bad watchword. Go to my local at 4pm today and you'll see a load of dusty looking blokes in workwear having a pint on their way home. The same people don't go out covered in paint on Saturday night. Similarly you can stroll in on a Sunday wearing wellies and with a muddy dog, but neither of these is welcome in the food area at mealtimes.

Quite a few cafes, corner shops and similar in Vienna last year had signs up telling customers its "cash only".

Not what I expected. But then I lake cash, saves me having to check bank statements each mnonth for fraudulent use of my electronic credentials.

I know what you mean. It seems so simple, relaxed and dignified paying in cash. With a card I have to dig out of my wallet a scrap of paper with the PIN code, scribble what I've spent on a post-it thing I keep stuck to my card, keep the receipt, then check everything later, with the lurking fear that someone might have cloned the card in the process.

almost everywhere we go sports wear (tracksuit) is acceptable, a handful expect smarter (Jeans and T, trainers) - even one or two Michelin stars. There is one restaurant where we would like to eat, but i am not buying or even hiring a suit for a dinner. There is one 3 Michelin starred restaurant, where we are pondering (if we can get table), that has no dress code, but says come comfortable, but we appreciate smart.....

I really hope your PIN code and card are not in the same place.Personally I find paying cash for anything other than perhaps a daily baguette a royal pita.

Of course it is, in my wallet. How else would I have it on hand when needed? But it is only a pre-paid card, the "real" credit card stays in a safe at home. But just out of curiosity, I've read all the warnings about not keeping the PIN with the card, and where else is one supposed to keep it? Always carry a secret card with the PIN in a secret pocket? Inside your shoe? I certainly can't memorise it.

PaulMB you are choosing not to memorise your PIN because you don't want to and you feel exceptional. Nobody cares whether you choose to remember it or not - it's your lifestyle choice enjoy it.

img_5148.jpg

So what? Just different media:

I’ve not experienced this QI code menu thing but then I either eat in cheap caffs or the occasional really nice restaurant. So its either a menu on the wall or a leather bound jobby

advertisement

Back