advertisement

Diego Maradona 1960-2020

It's brilliant but:
https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2014/jul/05/diego-maradona-belgium-famous-photo

A very long lens and squashed perspective and Maradona had just received the ball from a free kick and the Belgium players are the wall.
And Maradona had a poor game and Argentina lost 1-nil.

But.
The idea of it...it becomes "print the legend".

Yeah, I gathered it was the wall breaking up after a free-kick .. but who cares :)

It's a great piece of art. A picture painting a thousand words and all that..

Clearly an athlete with superb natural talents but the cheating 'hand of God' and then the drug use did it for me and I lost all respect for the guy. In the same mould as Michael Schumacher IMO.

CHE

None of us here has the slightest idea of living constantly under worldwide pressure. Maradona had quite a chin, otherwise he would have stranded much earlier in his life, but apparently it was too much. So he looked for other solutions.

We can't play football like him, and most probably none of us has the chin he had. I'm not sure he'd have listened to our lessons.

Up there with George Best and Gordon Banks in my book. You would like to have them all in your team.

I think it might be time to let it go! I managed the following day after repeatedly watching his second goal.

I've spent years watching players like Rooney, Owen and Kane cheat (mainly dive) so it would be a bit rich to single out maradonna.
I’ll admit that it still hurts because Maradona cheated to win. If he had scored 2 goals using his feet or a header and England lost - end of story.

Let me make it clear that I despise cheating in any form. Plenty of players do it. Raheem Sterling devalued himself (in my opinion) when he clearly fell over a blade of grass to win a penalty ( not sure which match it was - possibly against Burton Albion). Players do it all the tome but it’s never acceptable.

Oh FFS! Any yellow card for deliberate foul play is by definition “cheating”. It happens on average 4 times per game. Thierry Henry’s handball against Ireland was worse than the hand of god shite, and I’m not even Irish. The HoG Stuff was escalated into an an issue because It was at a World Cup and because of the Post-Falklands fallout.

If you were born after 1968 Maradona is the greatest player you have ever seen on live tv or in a stadium. Messi or CR7 are not as good.

A yellow card for deliberate foul play is indeed punishing cheating. The ref must have been looking the other way to miss the handball. He didn't disallow the goal. Maradona himself could have told the referee that he had handled the ball. Instead he decided not to. What does that say about the man ?

Mrs S and I were both appalled by Henry’s hand against Eire. I agree that the quarter final had “added spice” but cheating is cheating and should never be acceptable. I would be unhappy if my team benefitted from a player cheating.

Peter Shilton is such an utter tool that the hand of god continues to delight. Maradona out jumped him despite being a little over 5 foot.

Hilarious

I’ll admit that it still hurts because Maradona cheated to win. If he had scored 2 goals using his feet or a header and England lost - end of story.

Let me make it clear that I despise cheating in any form. Plenty of players do it. Raheem Sterling devalued himself (in my opinion) when he clearly fell over a blade of grass to win a penalty ( not sure which match it was - possibly against Burton Albion). Players do it all the tome but it’s never acceptable.
Yes it's one of the worst things about the game and it's almost worse when one of your own does it. I feel a sense of shame whereas when the opposition does it it's more visceral, less complicated, you can just be p****d off.

There is wierd double standard though. Creative players, especially strikers are often the ones to cheat and dive, I guess they have most to gain from doing so. So far so bad, but they are also often seen as fair game for rough tactics, dangerous fouls etc. Things have improved in this area but taking for example maradonna, he was kicked from pillar to post and the view was that it was a ' man's game', that he should take his punishment, even though it endangered his career, whereas to cheat is seen as the most heinous of crimes.

I think there's something in all of that that deserves some exploration.

A certain Italian defender used to foul players & then offer a hand to help them up; he then used to dig his nails in while offering the ‘olive branch’.

advertisement

Back