advertisement

Diego Maradona 1960-2020

In many ways a miracle he made it to 60.
Don't rush to blame the booze and coke, he retired at 37, which means that he was probably running on steroids for injuries for years.

If you follow the Wikipedia obituaries, footballers generally do very badly compared to many other sports.

Argentina were the better team on the day but there's no escaping the fact that Maradona cheated. After getting away with the handball he probably thought that he could do anything hence the 2nd goal. As an adult, this is the only match where I felt a sense of disgust at the outcome. If the goal had not stood and we had lost then I would have accepted the outcome.
Was the England team better than Argentina + Maradona at this tournament ?

Don't rush to blame the booze and coke, he retired at 37, which means that he was probably running on steroids for injuries for years.
Which was and is, to various degrees, pretty standard behaviour I reckon. But he achieved more than almost all other players ever did.

Argentina were the better team on the day but there's no escaping the fact that Maradona cheated. After getting away with the handball he probably thought that he could do anything hence the 2nd goal. As an adult, this is the only match where I felt a sense of disgust at the outcome. If the goal had not stood and we had lost then I would have accepted the outcome.
I think it might be time to let it go! I managed the following day after repeatedly watching his second goal.

I've spent years watching players like Rooney, Owen and Kane cheat (mainly dive) so it would be a bit rich to single out maradonna.

I recall we missed a couple of sitters at 2-1 when John Barnes came onto the pitch and caused havoc

These highlights of the match are worth watching. The amount of slide tacking and players going to ground is unbelievable. England just couldn’t contain Maradona that day.

Couldn't remember their goalie Pumpido but he made some decent saves. The pitch looked bone hard and I've always thought that few teams other than England would have let the maestro complete that mazy run for the second goal.. Reid, Butcher and Fenwick weren't blessed with natural pace... he'd have been the victim of 'taking one for the team' in this day and age

Couldn't remember their goalie Pumpido but he made some decent saves. The pitch looked bone hard and I've always thought that few teams other than England would have let the maestro complete that mazy run for the second goal.. Reid, Butcher and Fenwick weren't blessed with natural pace... he'd have been the victim of 'taking one for the team' in this day and age
He did play in Italy against the best & most cynical defenders in the history of the game. Did pretty well.

Which was and is, to various degrees, pretty standard behaviour I reckon. But he achieved more than almost all other players ever did.
It is all too standard and one reason so many footballers get long term health problems.
Anyway he was a great player.

The fifth picture down is one of the greatest sports photos of all time in my opinion

Yes - great photograph. Worth a repost..

JWp8lZSh.png

advertisement

Back