advertisement

Diego Maradona 1960-2020

Thrived in a tough era. Dirty tackles, poor pitches. Would have been great in any era. I know the numbers say Messi/Ronaldo, maybe that's right but my heart says maradonna.

Thrived in a tough era. Dirty tackles, poor pitches. Would have been great in any era. I know the numbers say Messi/Ronaldo, maybe that's right but my heart says maradonna.

Stats are the overriding measure of success in football these days, and that tells me all I need to know about football these days.

I was too young to see and appreciate Pele in his time, but I was bang on cue for Maradona in '86 - the best player in the world at the time, no ifs or buts about it.

The great thing about Maradona was that he could transform a team pretty much single handed. Neither Argentina or Napoli won anything of note since.

In many ways a miracle he made it to 60.

This makes me realise my years, I remember him being too young to play for Argentina in 1978

Almost a Blade too, life's full of disappointments.

An incredibly gifted footballer inside the body of a deeply flawed man. Let's not forget that the so-called "hand of God" was in fact, cheating.

Mauricio Pochettino's touching tribute to Diego Maradona, posted on his son Maurizio's Instagram page: "Broken with pain. Diego, you were my hero and friend, I was so fortunate to have shared football and life with you. You will always be in my heart. All my love to your family."

Argentina were the better team on the day but there's no escaping the fact that Maradona cheated. After getting away with the handball he probably thought that he could do anything hence the 2nd goal. As an adult, this is the only match where I felt a sense of disgust at the outcome. If the goal had not stood and we had lost then I would have accepted the outcome.

One of the greatest players, but there are others competing for that crown... Pele, Cruyff, Messi...

But at heart he was happy to cheat, and that is hard to ignore in the spirit of (any) sport.

Overall though, he came from hard upbringings, so who am I to judge...?

RIP Diego.

Remember seeing him 1979 at Hampden park, fabulous sunny afternoon. He was 19, and caused many sharp intakes of breath and expletives with his skill/confidence in someone so young.
RIP, DM.

Oh FFS! Any yellow card for deliberate foul play is by definition “cheating”. It happens on average 4 times per game. Thierry Henry’s handball against Ireland was worse than the hand of god shite, and I’m not even Irish. The HoG Stuff was escalated into an an issue because It was at a World Cup and because of the Post-Falklands fallout.

If you were born after 1968 Maradona is the greatest player you have ever seen on live tv or in a stadium. Messi or CR7 are not as good.

Even as a footie Ignoramus, I see his greatest moments as pure poetry.

Still. his 'hand of God' was blatant cheating. I do wonder what the 'authorities' felt about that. Whether or not he cheated.. his 'goal' should have been disallowed by some form of 'higher authority'. Too much power vested in one official when the technology allowed for better. Maybe.

I'd allow Maradonna the same courtesy I allow any deceased person, but I don't agree his talents outweigh his faults.

advertisement

Back