advertisement

Devialet Phantom (part II)

Chris from Kii, 'says' they are the dogs ,lifestyle and state of the art HiFi , but then he would wouldn't he!
Keith.

Can't wait to hear the Phantoms and Kii Three's. If they both do what they say they can and replace large Hifi speakers, they will do very well.

Cheers
Matt

Can't wait to hear the Phantoms and Kii Three's. If they both do what they say they can and replace large Hifi speakers, they will do very well.

Cheers
Matt

they are both interesting, I think, but IMO there is no direct "comparison" possible. They are rather different concepts ...

Well the comparison is "do they do the job for you with their different technologies"? Both offer a similar approach to dealing with the problems of eschewing large cabinet/large driver to produce enough distortion free music. Devialet has had a lot of time perfecting their patented ADH and HyPex have had a lot of time pefecting their Amp/DSP work. Two different approaches with the same goal, of creating small, tidy compact device without sacrificing sound quality, bass and while we are at it, take a look at getting them less fugly than a square box...

I am really excited for the future of home music because this is high end audio in packages that the general public will like without the hairshirt bullshit that people have had to deal with with HiFi over the past Decade.

Certainly the Dev200s would see off ATC100s, that's a given, seeing if I can get the Phantoms to See off the D200/800s is next on my to do list. If they can even get reasonably close, I am going to keep the phantoms.

Certainly the Dev200s would see off ATC100s, that's a given, seeing if I can get the Phantoms to See off the D200/800s is next on my to do list. If they can even get reasonably close, I am going to keep the phantoms.

I predict a 1-1 draw. The Phantoms score for bottom end, the D200+800Ds score for top end.

Well the comparison is "do they do the job for you with their different technologies"? ...

I am really excited for the future of home music because this is high end audio in packages that the general public will like without the hairshirt bullshit that people have had to deal with with HiFi over the past Decade....
I though more of the approach to use a single speaker à la Parrot Zikmu, thus aiming at a different buyer profile than standard stereo. While I do not want to say that the result may not be nice, this has IMO nothing to do with serious music reproduction. Having said this, the Phantoms obivously are not limited to this. But the fact that pseudo-stereo is possible, appears a bit strange to me, if you claim to do a high-end product. Nevertheless, I fully agree that there are interesting times ahead, and maybe more difficult - or at least challenging - once for more traditional companies...
In terms of audio processing, Parrot and Devialet are certainly not the only interesting compnies around. There is a lot of knowledge going into the products in smaller companies, often rather doing developments for other companies, like http://www.illusonic.com/ (Ch.Faller..) and others... if you are interested in audio processing have a chat with them at the Munich expo, for example :)

@matt its very hard, i agree. the phantom tweeter isn't going to take on b&w's tweeter fer sure but it boils down to is it close enough? And I am veering towards yes. Stands next. See how that changes things.

WRT Parrot etc; there is a whole slew of newcomers into this region. Its very exciting and I think the High End as we know it is about to get blown apart by consumer friendly devices that have zero interest in the needs of a classic unreconstructed audiophile but are still totally dedicated to producing audio several orders of magnitude better than what is currently out there. And best of all without the voodoo.

Surely the Devialet can't shift the same amount of air the B&W 800's ?? anybody tried doubling up the Phantoms two per stereo pair ..now you're cooking !!

I still don't know what you want to compare.. ATC100 passively fed via Dev200 with ATC100 active ? Ok then you compare the amps... But to go to the Phantoms is again a different story. You add a external correction (FIR filters etc) to the ATC and they will also not be the same. I think the discussion/reasoning shoud be a different one, more focussing on the application/room requirements, etc. Let´s also not forget that up to now (at least myself, although I did not really search for), we have not seen technical details as radition pattern for the Phantoms. With the "space"-casing, it would surprise me if this looks close to the one of a good studio monitor... but let's see.

@PhilCTTE Um, well, the Phantoms can, almost. the Silver Phantoms probably... hence the upgrade to Silvers. Its crazy I know... and I do not believe what I'm hearing. I want to find the flaw -- the bit that makes the edifice crumble -- but nothing yet... not after a month, I just need to get the Silvers into the room now and try them in direct comparison with the 200/800s

Surely the Devialet can't shift the same amount of air the B&W 800's ?? anybody tried doubling up the Phantoms two per stereo pair ..now you're cooking !!

No, but with 3000W and DSP the Phantoms might shift the air faster and more accurately.

Sorry to bring gloom to the thread, but .... I heard the Phantoms at Harrods.

I listened to a Cathy Berberian recording on Quobuz (John Cage, 'The Wonderful Widow of Eighteen Springs'). The most delicate of sopranos sounded chesty, with no air and reach. The percussive use of the piano in the background was exaggerated so that it became foreground, masking the beauty of the soprano.

Then, Florent Boffard's brilliant recording of Schoenberg's Piano Works. The lower reaches of the piano were absurdly exaggerated, with the deepest chords resonating so strongly that the coherence of the piece was entirely lost. Disastrous.

Then, to check out what was happening with the bass, a favourite pairing of Cecil McBee and Alice Coltrane ('Shiva-Loka' from JIS). Again, the bass was completely pumped up and exaggerated, so timing was ruined. The piece had no coherence; the soprano sax had no real texture or extension. The soundscape was murky and incoherent.

The little glass room might have made it worse, but when they switched to some mid-range B&W speakers powered by a Deviator box it sounded fine to me. Quite a relief.

Obvious and goes without saying, and I realise it is possible but ideally loudspeakers should be evaluated in your own room .
Kei.

My bet is that Clive will ditch the 800s, upgrade to the bigger Phantoms, then in 3 months time have something completely different, or, maybe back to ATCs ;-)

Clive, you've gone through more hifi equipment in the last year than i've had in my life, whilst at the same time saying how you are decluttering and simplifying ;-)

Anyhow, it's all good clean fun, hope you find exactly what you are looking for, and I hope you feel the same about it in 18 months time as that's the real trick.

My bet is that Clive will ditch the 800s, upgrade to the bigger Phantoms, then in 3 months time have something completely different, or, maybe back to ATCs ;-)

Clive, you've gone through more hifi equipment in the last year than i've had in my life, whilst at the same time saying how you are decluttering and simplifying ;-)

Anyhow, it's all good clean fun, hope you find exactly what you are looking for, and I hope you feel the same about it in 18 months time as that's the real trick.

Might be an idea to change nothing until all the meds can be ditched, then re-evaluate.

they are both interesting, I think, but IMO there is no direct "comparison" possible. They are rather different concepts ...

True, but what interests me is the small speaker - full range sound like a big speaker which both promise to do.

I prefer huge black boxes with massive bass drivers, but room size and WAF are 2 things to consider unfortunately.

Had I known about the Phantoms 2 years ago when I bought the D200 I would have bought them.

I am fuzzy on memory unless I see a pic... what HiFi equipment have I gone through in the last year? Can you remind me? Please? I cannot think of anything? (Not being facetious I forget after a pretty short while and am only reminded when I have a picture of it. I know I sold off the ATCs and studio to declutter... but what else?)

Initially the plan was to methodically close all debts, write a will (re house and dog), sell everything off, end all my relationships, commit suicide but Psychiatry intervened. I don't feel like keeping it quiet anymore. Pills are going to be with me for a very very very long time.

advertisement

Back