advertisement

Devialet Phantom (part II)

It's the end of hi-fi as we know it Jim.

I have a couple of spare MacBooks and plan to dedicate one to music. What else do I need along with a couple of Silvers?

Matt,

My local hi-fi guy says he will bring in the Phantoms. I'm rather interested in hearing a pair, even though I'm firmly a legacy, back-loaded horn, tizz-boom, passive, valve, stack system with a turntable in the front and 300 times more distortion kind of bloke.

Joe

Just think how good these Phantoms would look on the bridge of the Enterprise.
Calque_177.png

Matt,

I have to admit that getting rid of the clutter has its appeal, but I'm too firmly down the legacy path to give it all up.

Besides, I like my turntable, fish-shaped valve amp and ginormous wardrobe-sized speakers that ever-so-briefly raised my forum status to such lofty heights that I was briefly worshiped like a god on pfm... back when vintage Tannoys were the cool new fad here.

Joe

no, but the plastic cover will take to a solvent etch pro spray finish just fine ;)

It's the end of hi-fi as we know it Jim.

I have a couple of spare MacBooks and plan to dedicate one to music. What else do I need along with a couple of Silvers?

The Dialog unit €299, this creates the dedicated network for more than one Phantom and can support multiple room configurations and i think in the future surround sound. Frankly I am thinking of just keeping the Phantoms and selling the Expert 200 and the B&W800s if it adds any extra dynamics. You simply don't need massive woofers and big cabinets any more.

I don't like the stand. Too ornate.

I half agree about the stand (which will be available in June). I don't think the pedestal's great, but I really like the plinth (partly because I just like the word 'plinth').

I'm going to buy them. They're exactly the right height for my set-up, and I reckon they'll look better in the flesh than in pictures.

How about a three-point Sargon sphere-of-consciousness stand?

Perfect thing for a man cave I would think.

latest

Joe

I have been playing them for a few hours now. Impressed is an understatement given they are just plonked on a couple of wonky stands, placed too close together and not in free space. I particulary like their ability to play at lower volumes whilst maintaining the coherance of the music. The downsides are the daft position of the optical and ethernet connections, the yellow mains cables, not the greatest instruction manual especially little trouble shooting assistance and the lack of alternative casing colours.

Well, I can put the money into a second solar array and get more Green subsidy from it, there are lots of ways that sort of money can be used to my advantage and the Phantoms really are that good, if the Silver Phantoms are even better then I will be very very happy indeed.

Colette are ok with the swap from Phantom to Silver Phantom. Had I known about these white balls when the expert range was introduced I might not even have gone down the Expert/Separates route.

This is the future of high end HiFi. If you don't like Devialet's take on it there will be plenty of others coming along soon, basically keep an eye on anyone with investment in DSP and close ties to VPGA and FPGA so expect different types of companies doing this...

Will you still be in the UK at the end of the summer?
I could send you a pair of the new Kii Three loudspeakers to try, that will be an interesting comparison.
Keith.

Dunno, doing a few reccies between now and october. We have a 2 month in Santa Cruz but still eyeballing options. Everything is fluid right now. The Speaker Stands are almost made so I can compare the Silvers with the big rig and may the best pet win!

No rush for anything. I can keep the Big rig if I like or not, its not a great life or death situation. I would be interested in hearing them but no real interest in buying I know other people would be interested though so perhaps a public bake off would be a better plan...

If not I can happily loan. When I am sure what I am doing they are having flightcases made for live and safe transport. Probably pelicrate custom foams.

advertisement

Back