advertisement

Devialet Phantom (part II)

It is a rather threatening development. I've just bought one and think it is great. Yes it is not as good as five Ks worth of Neats but then I've only got one plonked on a coffee table. I'm pretty sure two silvers on stands and with the bits (C5k) would at least equal them.

If I wasn't so heavily invested, emotionally and financially, in vinyl I would be ordering them now. Also I'm pretty sure the technology will proliferate and evolve fast so it is, perhaps, wise to wait a bit.

I keep hearing people say things about the Phantom that they are "good value when you consider the reduced cost in cabling".

Anyone who thinks cabling makes a difference is instantly void! Do not listen to these delusional people who now like the Phantom!...

That WHF review used a single Phantom playing in mono.
There's no excuse for WHF not reviewing a pair in stereo, even if they had to obtain them at their own cost, with the ready availability under the 45 day Free Trial offer.

The Muso isn't in the same class.

Yes I agree.

I keep hearing people say things about the Phantom that they are "good value when you consider the reduced cost in cabling".

Anyone who thinks cabling makes a difference is instantly void! Do not listen to these delusional people who now like the Phantom!...

I may well be delusional but it doesn't extend to hearing differences in cables. I use Van Damme tour grade black. There is also no need for an amp with Phantoms. So you home demmed one of these. What were you using up front, mp3, spotify premium, something else? Were you using bluetooth or wifi?

He said he was using one. The overwhelming opinion is that you need a pair for them to sing. I still cannot get why people are buying these and not applying the same level of setup care as you would with any other speaker especially costing £4k. I suppose the blame is largely down to Devialet's dumb arse advertising and promotion and people beleiving their claims.

Your not Disbeliever are you?

He said he was using one. The overwhelming opinion is that you need a pair for them to sing. I still cannot get why people are buying these and not applying the same level of setup care as you would with any other speaker especially costing £4k. I suppose the blame is largely down to Devialet's dumb arse advertising and promotion and people beleiving their claims.

Quite, a bit like buying a 3K pair of standmounts and only using one in mono on the floor. Then declaring them rubbish.

Interesting.
I do have a pair of LS50s upstairs but haven't done a direct comparison with the Phantoms, though the conclusion is not really a surprise. I would have expected the LS50s to perhaps have a tiny edge in the mid and be nowhere in the bottom 3 octaves, relatively speaking, though I have always found them brilliant particularly considering their size.

Tonight I had twenty 16-year-old girls over for a bit of a bop. Well, it's Saturday!*

And with all the girls eager to dance, it was obviously a great opportunity to fire up the mighty Devialet Silver Phantoms, with their 3000 watts per channel.

To cut a long story short, we got some serious SPL going. It was humungously loud and blissfully clean, with not a whisper of distortion.

So if you want speakers that can do the hi-fi thing nicely and also double up as a house-quaking party sound system, then the Phantoms are it.

* It was my daughter's birthday, obvs.

Your not Disbeliever are you?

No he is not Disbeliever, I have not criticised the Phantoms, thought they sounded quite good despite only hearing them in a glass walled booth in Harrods.It was the Devialet Premier SQ that I did not like especially for the price. I still prefer Class AB amplifiers and TL speakers.

After reading a lot about them, I finally heard a pair of Silver Phantoms at HiFi Lounge yesterday.

Great bass (from such a compact package especially) a nice treble presence without being at all sharp or scratchy, but let down by a slightly indistinct mid range to my ears. Certainly not giant killers.

The new Gold Phantoms have a new tweeter and are said to also have an improved midrange capability.
Time will tell if the reviews show an improvement in midrange and treble performance.

After reading a lot about them, I finally heard a pair of Silver Phantoms at HiFi Lounge yesterday.

Great bass (from such a compact package especially) a nice treble presence without being at all sharp or scratchy, but let down by a slightly indistinct mid range to my ears. Certainly not giant killers.

I've heard them properly a couple of times and would agree with you. They are very nice overall and I might say exceptionally so for their size but certainly not a replacement for larger active or passive speakers especially in terms of mid range and scale.
The Devialet Experts driving Kef Blade speakers were in a different league but a very very expensive combo and I could never justify spending that amount of money based on what I heard

advertisement

Back