advertisement

Devialet opinions, reflection.

How about the phono stage? Has anyone compared it with good quality mc phono stages? I still use a TT a fair bit.

I don't miss my TEAD Vibe Pulse being in use Dec. I archived all of my vinyl though to DSD128 and those sound wonderful so little need.

:D

The remote working might if I'm lucky - but there's an app for that.

Recently cleared out loads of audio boxes and replaced with a 250 Expert Pro.
Completely delighted with sound quality.
Immensely practical and easy to use, all the family use it.
Use two phono inputs, mc and MM mono. Very high quality.
Still use external streamer, but a much improved streaming upgrade is promised and was part of my purchase. I like my streaming front end so may keep it anyway.
Customer service is fine. The are a few people on Devialet forum who like to complain a lot.
I think people see bling and don't appreciate the amount of technological development that has gone into this product.
Used to have a 300B-XLS amp and Art Audio valve phono. Don't miss either.
Totally at peace with all-in-one units. Having multiple boxes connected with long wires seems far less sensible and likely to affect quality.

My only disappointment has been having to take the time out of a busy schedule to become anally retentive about something else.

It's all beautiful hardware, but I wonder how it'll fare in 10 or 20 years compared to traditional HiFi.

The problem with traditional hifi is that it is traditional.

I have two hifi systems. Both consist of speakers (both Harbeth), an all-in-one (Devialet, Audiolab) and a streamer (Aries, Aries Mini). They share music sources (usb drive networked by Aries, and Qobuz) and the same control app (Lightning).

I couldn't be happier. It destroys audiophilia as a hobby, but it never was for me. I, perhaps naively, thought it was necessary to have lots of different boxes to get good sound. Turns out you probably don't.

Another good all-in-one is the Auralic Polaris, although I think it's pretty expensive at £3,500.

The biggest fly in the oinkment with devialet is le configurateur .. requiring you to be online and jump thru hoops to change something in configuration.. and you cant do it in real time either .. requires you to play the shuffle SD card thing.
It should be easier......

The biggest fly in the oinkment with devialet is le configurateur .. requiring you to be online and jump thru hoops to change something in configuration.. and you cant do it in real time either .. requires you to play the shuffle SD card thing.
It should be easier......

Personally, I think it's eminently sensible to keep the configurator separate from the unit, running on an SD card.

Since I got my unit, I've only made on change to the config. I can't see why anyone would want to make regular changes.

There is a big risk exposing any unit's operating system to the internet. The first music servers tended to use Microsoft Media Server, and mine stopped playing every time MS sent an update or something. Most now all use closed systems. MS was trying to be friendly, but were someone want to be malicious - who knows what they could do. To prevent it would require layers of security, which would be more hassle than just reprogramming the SD card.

It all sounds very complicated to me. I have a Linn DSM, which has a streamer, pre- and power-amps, with all manner of inputs, including a phono stage. You can play anything on it, and stream directly fom the web, a computer, pad or a phone. Linn regularly update the firmware. There is a built-in room 'configurator' within their firmware.

I just like the simplicity of it all. The Devialet system seems pretty clunky by comparison, judging by what I am reading here. What is it that makes it so desirable?

I just like the simplicity of it all. The Devialet system seems pretty clunky by comparison, judging by what I am reading here. What is it that makes it so desirable?

Engineering prowess, utility and sheer French élan?

....god, I'm really talking myself into one.

Many women love French elan.

Some struggle with it though.

My neighbour was complaining only yesterday about being f**ked senseless by French Alain.

You get more Eargasms per Euro with French Gear....plus of course the stench of Garlic and Gauloises as your Devialet burns in...

The configuration thing is way too clumsy.. a cell/tablet app interfacing directly with the unit would have been too simple..even the SD card on my D prems is upside down...

Very happy with my 250, which replaced a shedload of bits and bobs. Phono stage as good as, or better than, the TEAD Groove it replaced. I've never got on well with the AIR thingy, mainly because I'm a Komplete klutz with electronics.

It all sounds very complicated to me. I have a Linn DSM, which has a streamer, pre- and power-amps, with all manner of inputs, including a phono stage. You can play anything on it, and stream directly fom the web, a computer, pad or a phone. Linn regularly update the firmware. There is a built-in room 'configurator' within their firmware.

Well my D400 (now upgraded to D440) was a step up from my Linn Klimax DS/Naim 252/300 system. For me, the key reasons were - sound quality and lack of faff - getting away from those buzzy PSU's and the crazy cable dressing...!! With the new D440 and my 20.26's I have - by miles - the best sound I have had in my own system in >20 years of owning various pieces of kit.

The Devialet Configurator is a bit complex - but it is fantastic - you can switch the inputs to different types in software (line->phono etc) and you can configure the phono input on the fly (sensitivity, impedance and capacitance) - really pretty amazing. Generally, you do this once and then you only have to do it when there are updates (once maybe twice a year). Plus the SAM matching for your speakers which is a nice feature. The phono stage is also very good indeed - I sold my Urika after getting the Devialet.

What it doesn't have (yet) is the Sound Optimisation (SO) DSP option which Linn offer - that is really useful and I hope Devialet do it soon.

Anyone who's tempted to dip their toe into the world of Devialet would be well advised to look out for a second-hand Devialet that's not been upgraded to the PRO level. There are a few of these about. They sell for around £3K upwards. Excellent value.

advertisement

Back