advertisement

Devialet just gave us more watts

By the way, the Devialet MC phono stage is not quiet enough IMO. There is a hiss noise which is pretty unpleasant when you push up the volume...

I don't have one of the new ones (yet) but the phono stage on the D-Premier is not only fantastic sounding but also the quietest phono stage I have ever heard.
With the volume control set at the highest level I ever listen I can just hear a faint hiss if I put my ear to the speaker whilst no record is playing.
I did have a noisy phono once a couple of years ago when I cocked up a configuration file, but I don't remember now exactly what I had done wrong...

I don't have one of the new ones (yet) but the phono stage on the D-Premier is not only fantastic sounding but also the quietest phono stage I have ever heard.
With the volume control set at the highest level I ever listen I can just hear a faint hiss if I put my ear to the speaker whilst no record is playing.
I did have a noisy phono once a couple of years ago when I cocked up a configuration file, but I don't remember now exactly what I had done wrong...

My phono stage was noisy at one point; the problem was the Air app trying to 'find' my wireless network. I disabled Air and the problem went away. (It wasn't a hiss though, more of a hum).

This is a known issue addressed on the Devialet 'help' pages:

https://help.devialet.com/entries/23404782-I-hear-a-noise-on-the-Phono-input

I guess a phono stage in the digital domain is novel and designed to piss off everybody, which is... nice..

A couple of enthusiasts I know have been using a digital phono stage for a while using an ADC into a Mac and a Metric Halo ADC which has RIAA correction filter available.
They are usually quieter and give more accurate RIAA correction than analogue phono stages.
IIRC the Devialet had the most accurate RIAA correction ever tested a t Stereophile.

My phono stage was noisy at one point; the problem was the Air app trying to 'find' my wireless network. I disabled Air and the problem went away. (It wasn't a hiss though, more of a hum).

This is a known issue addressed on the Devialet 'help' pages:

https://help.devialet.com/entries/23404782-I-hear-a-noise-on-the-Phono-input

Yes, I did have that (in fact I think it was me who reported the bug to Devialet) but it was really only a problem for me if Air was set in the config file but the wireless network was off line, then there was a pulsing noise from the master amp when phono was selected (the slave stayed quiet).

Do any dealers give discount on Devialet? Please PM if you have any info? Really considering a 170.

Devialet state that their stage has a s/n of 90 dB! As this was not the case, ear wise, for us I thought the unit was faulty. I do have the Air function disabled.
Other phono amps in the system with measured substantial lower s/n had less noise, go figure.

/Mike

Devialet state that their stage has a s/n of 90 dB! As this was not the case, ear wise, for us I thought the unit was faulty. I do have the Air function disabled.
Other phono amps in the system with measured substantial lower s/n had less noise, go figure.

/Mike

I would be fairly sure there is a fault in the setup configuration or the earthing of the system. Worth checking out IMO.
I have used plenty of phono stages over the last 50 years and the Devialet D-Premier has the quietest.

Do any dealers give discount on Devialet? Please PM if you have any info? Really considering a 170.

A 170 is winging its way to me care of MAX (Midland Audio Exchange). John was very helpful, fast, I did a trade in for some amps to assist me out of my enforced thermionic nudity and he was very clear in explaining the way to initially get it right. he also has the models AIR card fitted still.

Comms was good and I really liked dealing with him.

I shall hopefully be chin stroking very carefully this weekend then sadly next week everything is packed and moved to chez White Phoenix and we start a whole new round of faff.

Is anyone driving a pair of Obelisks with one of these? I think I might need to get an Audition

I'm considering a 170 for my Obelisks as well. I think I need to get a home demo first, unless I can find a SH one that I could take the risk on!

Nice job Devialet. Fixed the Ethernet issue and a small lift in SQ too (even better low bass definition). No downsides noted yet :cool:

A couple of enthusiasts I know have been using a digital phono stage for a while using an ADC into a Mac and a Metric Halo ADC which has RIAA correction filter available.
They are usually quieter and give more accurate RIAA correction than analogue phono stages.
IIRC the Devialet had the most accurate RIAA correction ever tested a t Stereophile.

Yes, one of those nice happenstances where the theory and the practice actually match up. I think low voltage signal processing in the digital domain is a brilliant idea. I do not see why more companies do not do this... I would wonder if there is any gain in eq modelling based on known cartridge profiles, which would even the playing field a lot more.

I was woken at 5:30 by my phone texting me to say the box is on its way today. I will try a basic configuration into my bedroom speakers first and report, line out into ATC actives via Devialet Analog out vs via spdif to the apogee symphony will have to wait a few weeks until I have the white phoenix reoccupied and the acoustician works her mojo.

She pointed out it has a filter slope option that will come in use. I have quite a large airspace to fill...

Home stretch now.

IIRC the Devialet had the most accurate RIAA correction ever tested at Stereophile.
Accuracy is not surprising, there are too many analogue designs with, what must be intentional, gross errors. Achieving a few percent in the analogue domain is easy and "good enough" to be inaudible

I cannot think why digital should be quieter than analogue. The ADC has to be run at more than 20dB below full scale @ 1kHz to avoid clipping on treble and surface damage

I cannot think why digital should be quieter than analogue. The ADC has to be run at more than 20dB below full scale @ 1kHz to avoid clipping on treble and surface damage

Sorry to be dumb but could you explain what you mean by that David?

but is this really a problem to have a clipping on a surface damage?

I don't think David is talking about surface damage, but about the fact that if you do the ADC before RIAA correction, you have 40 dB of difference between 20 Hz and 20 KHz. Either you sacrifice up to 40 dB of dynamic range at really low frequencies, or risk clipping in the high frequencies.

40 dB sounds like a lot, but it is less than 8 bits, so you are still more than fine bit-wise if your ADC is a 24 bit one.

Ooh tartyness awaits....
Commes ça

9ytaseme.jpg

ugygumur.jpg

I don't think David is talking about surface damage, but about the fact that if you do the ADC before RIAA correction, you have 40 dB of difference between 20 Hz and 20 KHz. Either you sacrifice up to 40 dB of dynamic range at really low frequencies, or risk clipping in the high frequencies.

40 dB sounds like a lot, but it is less than 8 bits, so you are still more than fine bit-wise if your ADC is a 24 bit one.
I have come across ADCs that behave VERY badly if clipped. Generally the input should be limited to the conversion range.

I have not seen many ADCs that actually achieve better than 18 bit resolution. 20 bits is about the practical limit and those cost a fortune.

advertisement

Back