advertisement

Devialet just gave us more watts

mattgbell

Help the elderly and unwell!
The new Devialet firmware upgrade apparently increases the power output of the amps.

Devialet 110 becomes 120
Devialet 170 becomes 200
Devialet 240 becomes 250
Devialet 500 becomes 800

I'm mystified by this on two levels.
1) how do they do it? How does a firmware upgrade make a 170W amp into a 200W amp? (Yes, I just don't understand the tech)
2) why are the increases proportionally so different?

And of course the biggest question: does it make any difference to SQ?

I've installed the firmware for my 170 (which is now no longer a 170 but a 200), and it functions OK. Not sure if it sounds different.

Matt

I am getting interested in Devialet equipment. Is there any place it can be compared to Audio Note and ATC?

Jack

This is done by rrrrreroutin' powerrrrr frrrrrom the impulse deck into the matterrrrr–antimatterrrrr injectorrrrrs, therrrrreby incrrrrreasin' warrrrrrp powerrrrrr by 10%.

Joe

Last edited by a moderator:
One enquiry from a potential Devialet buyer

I have a bedroom system that is overheating the bedroom (no seriously, the gifted bottle amps are making the bedroom so hot it gets a bit mad after 10 minutes) after 30 minutes we are getting Nekkid, (which is great, for me and ms fox but probably TMI)...

Also, the CJ amps are by far the biggest power consumers of a zero energy home, we would produce in excess of what we use if it were not for these watt sucking Conrad Johnson monoblocks.

I would consider a devialet for the bedroom but it is overkill (some would say bottle amps are too and they would be right) and was hoping I could have a devialet for the bedroom but additionally feeding the Apogee DAC in the studio which feeds my ATCs and subs.

No analog
A few stored Hirez tracks on qnap and growing
Streaming via Quobuz and Spotify

Is there anyway this can be done or just be done with it and get a Sonos?

I think the 170 is the machine but I am not sure...

Holy father, I cans't invite friends up to my bedroom!
For my neighbours glancing over in green-eyed jealousie would chatter and talk
Their suffrage broken at my already woeful mis-demeanours past
Idle tittle tatter in the village of "a man with a mount he doth cuckold"
"be naked cavorting most indiscreet as like the beast with two backs."
And then the priest crow black with bible at my door seeking penance for a soul
That by the mere spoken word of another my chastity so reviled
Would cause me to seek mint penance but be an outcast buried on pagan ground
I desire some box that not giveth me that unwholesome beastly vision
But a simple low wattage solution to power a low, base passion...

(aside: And anyway, ponies will poop In my shiny new mansion)
And then both I and ms fox will completely freak out
I just need a excuse to justify a mere jewjaw, a sleek shiny toy,
(Aside: And not this toe stubbing behemoth that sucks at my marrow to the raw)
that is all I request, for a brief moment of joy.

One enquiry from a potential Devialet buyer

I have a bedroom system that is overheating the bedroom (no seriously, the gifted bottle amps are making the bedroom so hot it gets a bit mad after 10 minutes) after 30 minutes we are getting Nekkid, (which is great, for me and ms fox but probably TMI)...

Also, the CJ amps are by far the biggest power consumers of a zero energy home, we would produce in excess of what we use if it were not for these watt sucking Conrad Johnson monoblocks.

I would consider a devialet for the bedroom but it is overkill (some would say bottle amps are too and they would be right) and was hoping I could have a devialet for the bedroom but additionally feeding the Apogee DAC in the studio which feeds my ATCs and subs.

No analog
A few stored Hirez tracks on qnap and growing
Streaming via Quobuz and Spotify

Is there anyway this can be done or just be done with it and get a Sonos?

I think the 170 is the machine but I am not sure...

My Dev runs at around 40C, so it's warm but not hot enough to fry an oeuf plat. Apparently the new firmware upgrade improves heat management.

The Dev has digital or analog preouts which could either feed your DAC (via SPDIF) or run the ATCs directly.

Your NAS could connect via USB or you could rig up an AEX next to the Dev. But it doesn't incorporate streaming services. You'd need another device for that (Sonos or similar).

Ok that sounds perfect have cleared it in principle with ms fox. 7.0 firmware looks good, its looks looks like via the configuration tool I have control over the IO options that route both the bedroom and the studio systems as well.

Looking at dealer network it looks like there is L&C near me but I am always sniffing for a bargain...

Looking at dealer network it looks like there is L&C near me but I am always sniffing for a bargain...

I've seen a couple of s/h and ex-dem D-Premiers around, but a deal on one of the newer models? Good luck with that!

I haven't "seriously" listened to the new firmware yet, but I noticed (or was it the shiraz) that the font is different, and it at least sounds just as amazing as before. My ears are jaded from my experimentation with acourate filters for room correction and once I finish my latest experiments in that direction, I'll put on my blindfold and see.

I'd say the new font is an improvement of about 10% over the old one.

Just to say ms fox looked at the valves and looked at the devialet 170 now we can get the ATCs and the bedroom system supported by one player (amps to bedroom) analog to ATCs she simply went thumbs up.

A better font is a joyous thing, fount designers know the truth of why fonts matter,why aesthetics matter, Steve jobs understood it and dragged us out of a shit world of 640x480 VGA we would still be in.... Jonny Ive and now devialet, I am in good hands.

I looked at the dealers network and have just decided to trade my valves for a 170. No messing about, we shall take drugs and rip off our clothes instead of being a requirement of thermionic waste... we just decided to not go the d-premier route we want support, firmware, ongoing dev platform so I'm just dealign with that and a box of shiny (probably discreetly wall mounted I cannot be arsed with all this oil rig nonsense)

A better font is a joyous thing, fount designers know the truth of why fonts matter,why aesthetics matter, Steve jobs understood it and dragged us out of a shit world of 640x480 VGA we would still be in.... Jonny Ive and now devialet, I am in good hands.

I looked at the dealers network and have just decided to trade my valves for a 170. No messing about, we shall take drugs and rip off our clothes instead of being a requirement of thermionic waste... we just decided to not go the d-premier route we want support, firmware, ongoing dev platform so I'm just dealign with that and a box of shiny (probably discreetly wall mounted I cannot be arsed with all this oil rig nonsense)

Devialet ownership has been deep joy for me so far. I hope it works for you.

Are you going to want to run the bedroom/sauna system separately from the ATCs? I'm thinking there should be a way of doing this via the mute settings in the configurator, but I haven't had cause to do it yet.

advertisement

Back