advertisement

Devialet just gave us more watts

I am running the bedroom from the amps in the 170 (I suppose its a 200 now when I update the firmware) and the ATCs will either get the analogue line out configured from the configirator or via SPDIF into the Apogee Symphony I\O DAC I use in the living room studio which goes into a Dangerous Music monitor switchers my instinct is to let the Devialet do all of the audio feeding the ATCs via line but I can try spdif and compare and do some chin stroking. I also have AES in the Apogee DAC

I heard a d-premier and was shocked at the clarity and sense it made of music, my music... When I saw the case and it was game over. I think feeding SCM100s and dual subs will do me just fine.

The Air card is included BTW but I have wired networking throughout so will see which I will do when I move in.

The speaker management software on the way is really crucial for good sound and profiling speakers is one of the smartest things they could possibly do. This is very very cleverly thought through stuff and precisely what DSP systems are supposed to be here for.

This thread pushed me over the edge

The speaker management software on the way is really crucial for good sound and profiling speakers is one of the smartest things they could possibly do. This is very very cleverly thought through stuff and precisely what DSP systems are supposed to be here for.

I agree about the cleverness of SAM. It's clever in marketing terms too. Dev dealers can now sell you a complete optimized system. Nice.

It's all academic for me though, as my Martin Logans will never receive the SAM treatment.

I agree about the cleverness of SAM. It's clever in marketing terms too. Dev dealers can now sell you a complete optimized system. Nice.

It's all academic for me though, as my Martin Logans will never receive the SAM treatment.

Why not?
Martin Logan have made a lot of speakers, maybe it will be worth while suggesting to Devialet. My Tune Audio speakers OTOH are unlikely to ever be SAMed.

One of my D-Premiers is off being updated to latest spec at the factory at the moment and I am using the other in default configuration. When the updated one returns I'll send the other and eventually I will have a 500 (soon to be 800 perhaps), only with 2 remotes (which is surprisingly convenient, one near the amp where I can see the display and the other next to my chair.

The Devialet has been most satisfactory so far (apart from the display being invisible if not vertically mounted).

Why not?
Martin Logan have made a lot of speakers, maybe it will be worth while suggesting to Devialet. My Tune Audio speakers OTOH are unlikely to ever be SAMed.

Well, the relevant frequency range in the MLs is in an active sub that's already controlled by its own internal DSP engine.

(Slaps face) dooooh. Well caught.

Well I have not entirely decided on that aspect yet. I pointed out a slight chip in the Audio Physic glass panel speaker I noticed the other day that may queer that part of the system change...

Why not?

One of my D-Premiers is off being updated to latest spec at the factory at the moment and I am using the other in default configuration. When the updated one returns I'll send the other and eventually I will have a 500 (soon to be 800 perhaps), only with 2 remotes (which is surprisingly convenient, one near the amp where I can see the display and the other next to my chair.

The Devialet has been most satisfactory so far (apart from the display being invisible if not vertically mounted).

Well I do hope you are a professional F1 for in their words vis-à-vis the 800 "Amateurs, you'd best leave this one to the experts! -"

perhaps something was lost in translation ;)

Well I do hope you are a professional F1 for in their words vis-à-vis the 800 "Amateurs, you'd best leave this one to the experts! -"

perhaps something was lost in translation ;)

The new web site is not as good as the one the engineers wrote in the beginning (IMO). I presume that is a bit of marketing bollox somebody thinks may impress.

I have had a pair of D-Premiers for almost 3 years now. I am not expecting any change in SQ into my horns, (maybe into my Epilogs which seem to be quite a tough load) just going for the update for the versatility of the more powerful DSP, new power supply and new guarantee.

I now have a 200 as well :)

Apparently this is just a taster for the full firmware release in a few weeks which will contain active speaker matching

http://www.monoandstereo.com/2014/04/devialet-unveils-sam-speaker-active.html

I'm not too sure about the usefulness of the speaker matching function, since according to that article it has to be pre-programmed by Devialet. Given the unbelievably vast number of speakers out there, the chances of them actually supporting the ones that happen to be in your living room are quite small.

On the other hand, more watts for no ££ is a great deal !

I'm not too sure about the usefulness of the speaker matching function, since according to that article it has to be pre-programmed by Devialet. Given the unbelievably vast number of speakers out there, the chances of them actually supporting the ones that happen to be in your living room are quite small.

On the other hand, more watts for no ££ is a great deal !

It depends how diverse the speaker tastes of Devialet owners are. I'd expect there to be quite a concentration of B&W, Focal, Wilson, Magico, Sonus faber. After that I guess you're right: you're into the "long tail".

I now have a D200. To me it sounds the same as before, but a veil has been lifted from the front end ;)

I also have B&W 802Ds, which I believe are one of the two models that have been modelled for SAM. Any news on the availability of this? I'm assuming it's just a software/DSP function.

Yes, finally. Had a spot of good news a few days ago and this helps draw a line.

It will be with me in a few days time with Air fitted and the older firmware so I reckon by the time I move in the full system will be downloadable, and it will share duties for two rooms. Line out into my actives and Amp in the bedroom which is we here I do a lot of listening, an awful lot of listening, but the valves were killing me heat wise, power wise, weight wise, it's just not where I am these days, I am still learning who I am.

I have adjusted I still think vinyl absolutely roxx but its a path I'm really not prepared to go, so something nice for me.

Oh quickie question wall mounting... Good idea or bad? How much and where? I like wall mounting as I am discovering racks are a bit of a faff...

I now have a D200. To me it sounds the same as before, but a veil has been lifted from the front end ;)

I also have B&W 802Ds, which I believe are one of the two models that have been modelled for SAM. Any news on the availability of this? I'm assuming it's just a software/DSP function.

Yes, SAM for your speakers will be available (via the configurator, I assume) after the Munich show in mid-May.

Oh quickie question wall mounting... Good idea or bad? How much and where? I like wall mounting as I am discovering racks are a bit of a faff...

I haven't tried it. I'm against if for three reasons. You'd need to chase cables into the wall, which commits you to all sorts of decisions and is fundamentally the baddest idea ever. I've seen Devs wall mounted at shows, and I think they look less good than when lying on a nice discreet low table or ideally a Black and Decker Workmate. (I also hate racks.) And most importantly wall mounting is something that architects do. Pah!

And on the question of vinyl: the Dev's phono stage is better than a Whest. You can tell Bub from me.

I waved the magic duster over my amps tonight and self- declared a 10% power increase. I'm sitting back to assess the results now.

Well that was easy - if it's fixed the AIR card Ethernet port not appearing on the network on power up then i'll be happy. Not sure if it's made any SQ differences so i'll let it warm up on Masterchef and give it a listen later.

advertisement

Back