advertisement

Devialet just gave us more watts

It's not fish-shaped either, but I think I could get over that.

Joe

Could you not get a stencil and a spray can? A wall mounted & expertly Tagged Devialet could be a whole new objet 'art.

Mike,

Sure, but I think it still wouldn't work well with vintage speakers.

Joe

4upu3aje.jpg

Ass shot,sorry I am precaffeinated.
I want to wall mount this as I am having nothing else's just this.

the RPi running volumio into the hifiberry digi Toslink is great I will chin stroke with rca vs optical later, I will then ask someone to make up a rca to DSUB cable for the dangerous music switcher and compare line out into ATCs so far so marvellous.

Thanks, same as mine

Mike,

Sure, but I think it still wouldn't work well with vintage speakers.

Joe

I agree Joe.

It would be nice to see Eva release a similar device with SMPS and a couple of fat tubes sticking out of it's top plate. :)

Mike,

I almost hate to admit this on an audio forum: I'm completely happy with my system. It's weird and obviously not a good thing place to be, but there you have it.

That said, the Devialet is a nice bit of kit. If I were inclined to experiment and if my speakers worked well with such an amp I'd take one home for a serious listen. It's the most interesting bit of kit to have been developed in a while.

Joe

I know what you mean. I had one for a couple of weeks and it was pretty good.

It would be really interesting if they got around to modelling the speaker correction for vintage Tannoys :)

Mike,

Is the amp's output impedance under the control of firmware?

Joe

This may seem silly, but now if only they would accommodate a couple HDMI ins and outs, it would be complete. I just want one quality Swiss Army knife of A/V on a good upgradable platform.

Mike,

Is the amp's output impedance under the control of firmware?

Joe

Joe, I prefer tubes for most things too. The Tannoys have impedance peaks around 60hz and 1khz - so a tube amp with a low damping factor acts as a tone control and boosts the midrange and kick drum fundamentals.

Many people love 300b's with Tannoys for this very reason. I can't see why it wouldn't in theory be possible to get the same effect with DSP based correction - as available with the Devialet. Of course it wouldn't have the even order harmonics of the 300b but then I doubt the Manley does either.

Not suggesting it would be better - just that the DSP gives lots of interesting avenues to explore.:)

The Devialet really is an intriguing bit of kit and trying other valve amps has its fascinations, but my system sounds great (to me) so I'm invoking the audio Prime Directive: if the system is working well leave it the **** alone. :)

Joe

Joe, I prefer tubes for most things too. The Tannoys have impedance peaks around 60hz and 1khz - so a tube amp with a low damping factor acts as a tone control and boosts the midrange and kick drum fundamentals.

Many people love 300b's with Tannoys for this very reason. I can't see why it wouldn't in theory be possible to get the same effect with DSP based correction - as available with the Devialet. Of course it wouldn't have the even order harmonics of the 300b but then I doubt the Manley does either.

Not suggesting it would be better - just that the DSP gives lots of interesting avenues to explore.:)

You wouldn't need DSP for that, just a couple of power resistors.
There are dynamic changes alongside the tonal changes when output impedance is varied. You aren't just making the power transfer function non linear, you alter the driver damping.

All dynamic loudspeaker systems using MC drivers have impedance peaking at LF, sometimes one peak, sometimes two depending on the driver loading.
Most such designs also use a crossover around the 1-5kHz range causing another impedance peak. Therefore the higher output impedance of valve amplifiers as a general breed very often causes a tonality change and/or a change to dynamic performance at LF.

It's perfectly possible and likely that vintage loudspeakers dating from the valve amp era were voiced for such amplifiers, though there's no reason why anyone shouldn't enjoy what is technically a mismatched combo if they prefer the result.

P.S. Mike -- If I were inclined to fiddle with my system, I'd be trying the Leben 300 and Berning 230 amps.

Very different kinds of products relative to the Devialet approach, but I think staying thermionic makes sense as long as I have Tannoys.

Joe

Russel,

I tried resistors* in series with my Naim amp at the time -- a 250 -- but in the end I thought valves worked best with old Tannoys.

Joe

* Dubbed them Robristors, which have since been developed into a commercial product.

I am not a fan of naim at all, they have good punchy bass but the amount of switching distortion they produce makes them annoying to me. Efficient loudspeakers like the tannoys really need a class A amplifier, non switching or current dumping design to sound nice. Most valve amps produce little switching distortion and the simplicity of the design makes it difficult to mess up the layout, critical with regards to imaging. I can understand why people like valve amps, the distortion they produce is just not objectionable and they look nice.

Rob, I was talking of SAM if you see the earlier post- not sure your resistors would be able to target the response in quite the same manner.

I know output impedance is a particular bug bear of yours and has been for some years.

To my ears, Tannoys are unique in that they really benefit from an amp that modifies their inherent FR - I've not come across many speakers that do.

PS Joe. I'd be tempted to leave it alone :) Still it's always interesting to experiment, if only to further one's understanding. I'm glad I tried the Devialet but I still want a little more flexibility in the analogue domain.

advertisement

Back