advertisement

DeAgostini Classic Jazz on 33 1/3 Collection

I picked up 67 and 68 from the sorting office yesterday. It feels odd that there’s only going to be one more delivery. Coleman Hawkins Wrapped Tight being listened to as I write. Lovely sax sound.

Just played The Modern Sound of Betty Carter and I'm confused. Sound is a bit odd. Whereas, say, the Sarah Vaughan album is intimate and very very transparent, the Betty Carter is a much more 'distant' sound.. more a 'back row of the stalls' thing. Also a bit foggy to me.. especially Side 1. Could all just be the recording engineer's choice I suppose.. but what does the team think? Adding to the confusion, the label on the disc says ABC 363.. indicating mono.. but mine is certainly stereo. which ought to be ABCS 363. Minor point.. but Hey!!

Also now on second spin of the Errol Garner plays Misty. It's certainly changed my view of Errol. I sort of dismissed him as 'pop' jazz player years ago after a couple of TV concerts where he didn't impress.. probably more my mood at the time than anything else. A lot of his playing has that delicacy and lightness of touch I associate with my hero Ray Charles. Very accessible, but no less valid for all that.

Mull, I’ll take another listen. I wasn’t that impressed by the performance first time round, but I’m not a great fan of Jazz vocals.

Overall I think this has been a fantastic series, a few things I wasn’t that keen on, but that was inevitable given the range of music on offer.

Picked up the final package from the local sorting office this morning.

Sad to see it end, this is the first part series I’ve ever bought all the way to the end.

I complained to them about 67 and 68 arriving without magazines. They just sent me second copies of 67 and 68 complete with mags... I have spares folks!!

Also 69 and 70 arrived at the same time. Lady Sings the Blues.. Nice..

I Posted the above earlier in the listening now thread re this latest Jazz 33. Bit too polite for the music. The next issue is Ben Webster - 'Ben Webster and Associates'. I hope that is better sound wise.
I Posted the above earlier in the listening now thread re this latest Jazz 33. Bit too polite for the music. The next issue is Ben Webster - 'Ben Webster and Associates'. I hope that is better sound wise.
I was going to order On This Night but found locally a clean 1970s Italian MCA/Impulse version for £12. Having said that its the only one I've chosen over DeAgostini.

I complained to them about 67 and 68 arriving without magazines. They just sent me second copies of 67 and 68 complete with mags... I have spares folks!!

Also 69 and 70 arrived at the same time. Lady Sings the Blues.. Nice..

On the two occasions I had to ask for replacements they were very good about it, no quibbles at all.

Just giving Coleman Hawkins 'Wrapped Tight' a first spin.

My kind of Jazz..and a lovely 'close up' recording, but with lots of 'air'. Nice... :)

Just giving Coleman Hawkins 'Wrapped Tight' a first spin.

My kind of Jazz..and a lovely 'close up' recording, but with lots of 'air'. Nice... :)

Yes is is a lovely late period Hawkins recording. Close up on Hawkins as you say, but lots of space and depth to the rest of the band. I find the best balance is at a slightly higher volume than level than the typical Jazz 33 as it seems to have been cut a lower level perhaps to stop overloading the cutter head on Hawkin's solos? This is no problem as a beautiful quiet pressing. I am then really appreciating some of the beutiful contributions by Barry Harris on piano as well as Hawkins solos.

Yes is is a lovely late period Hawkins recording. Close up on Hawkins as you say, but lots of space and depth to the rest of the band. I find the best balance is at a slightly higher volume than level than the typical Jazz 33 as it seems to have been cut a lower level perhaps to stop overloading the cutter head on Hawkin's solos? This is no problem as a beautiful quiet pressing. I am then really appreciating some of the beutiful contributions by Barry Harris on piano as well as Hawkins solos.
This one I wasn't sure for a while, listening to on Spotify, then decided to go for it. I was really glad I did as it's a really nice pressing and just sounds great. Classic talent on show.

Last night I finally got around to sorting out all of the 'magazines' from the complete 70 album series. I've only received 2 folders and as far as I can see there's only enough fixing for 20 mags per folder So, if I fill the second folder I'll still have 30 mags left over. Even 3 folders will leave 10 mags over. What's more, although the folders only have 'hangings' for 20 mags.. 20 mags nowhere near fills out the space in them. All a bit poor really.

Am I missing something here?

I'd like to have the mags available, as they are surprisingly interesting and ....... informative. But I can do without these large folders hanging about, so I might just punch the mags and put them into a more sensible sized ring binder or similar.

Alternative is to put the mags inside the album covers, but I'm not sure that won't contribute to warping, or cover wear.

Views?

I put mine in the LP sleeves.

It’s still disappointing that the series didn’t extend to the 100+ titles originally proposed.

As above I put mine in the PVC outer sleeve I put the LP in. Annoyingly the DeAgostini UK shop where the Jazz 33 back numbers are listed has been off line for months now and I wanted to get a couple of LP's I missed that either didn't up or that I had to return faulty to my Newsagent who then couldn't get a replacement.

I did try the phone number, but the person who I spoke to didn't know anything about the Jazz 33 series.

As above I put mine in the PVC outer sleeve I put the LP in. Annoyingly the DeAgostini UK shop where the Jazz 33 back numbers are listed has been off line for months now and I wanted to get a couple of LP's I missed that either didn't up or that I had to return faulty to my Newsagent who then couldn't get a replacement.

The last time I looked most of the titles appeared to be available on Discogs.

well guess i'm never going to see the replacement copy of "kind of blue" that I ordered (damaged mine). They promised it months ago but it never turned up.

Resurrecting a zombie thread here, but some of you may be interested to see that the Spanish DeAgostini jazz series is now up to issue 23. The good news is that so far there is barely any overlap with the UK series. I doubt they'll ship to the UK but those of you who were enjoyng these UK releases might want to watch out on Discogs/Ebay etc for some of these Spanish editions.

For me the DeAgostini Jazz at 33 1/3 are the best sounding of all my jazz LPs. Better than all my second had contemporary releases and certainly not noticebaly worse sounding than new releases by the major labels, including the Tone Poet disc I splashed out on.

Good to see there are more DA titles available. Link here....

https://www.planetadeagostini.es/coleccionismo/jazz-blue-note

Just checked and 19 of the 23 Spanish releases so far weren't included in the British or Italian series. Wonder if these are ones from the 30 that were intended to make up the rest of the initially planned run of 100 in the UK?

Thanks. Interesting that the Spanish set is Blue Note only.

I'd agree about the sound quality of the UK series being very good - from what I assume were digital masters.

Thanks for the heads up.
Yes these all seem to be Blue Notes so not exactly the same as the original Italian list of 100 and the British list seemed on the most part to be following that although there were licensing differences. While I do not agree the relative sound quality merits compared to something like the Tone Poets, and I have virtually all of both runs, they were / are in most cases very decent mastering and pressings and good value. Taking in to account the exchange rate this Spanish run is very slightly cheaper than the U.K. run was. As Stunsworth Notes those were almost certainly all from high res digital masters. These Blue Notes will be from digital masters as Do Was has said that Universal are no longer licensing out the original analogue tapes. The Tone Poets and BN80 are controlled 'in house'.
There are about half a dozen from this 23 that I don't have in a decent pressing or reissue. I might get my Spanish friends to buy any I want for me and pick them up next time I go - if we ever get out of lockdown.

advertisement

Back