advertisement

DeAgostini Classic Jazz on 33 1/3 Collection

I don't know what is going on at DeAgostini now with these re-issues? Today you can no longer seem to find the back issues page either with the usual normal link: https://shop.deagostini.co.uk/filter-by/back-issues/jazz-at-33-rpm/ or from the back issues links on the main Website.

As I noted above I got issue 56 last week, but I was still missing a couple that never turned up at my Newsagent despite their repeated attempt to get them. I hope this does not mean this is as far as they are going to take this after the initial sales levels have probably dropped off and Drum Suite is still not sorted out. :(

It might be worthwhile sending an email to their support address. It looks as if there’s a problem getting a secure connection to the shop.

I’ve had an email back apologising and saying I should have replacements in 14 days - there was also a Sonny Rollins LP with excessive surface noise. I’m fully expecting the Blakey replacement to be another Jaco recording <grin>.

The replacement LPs arrived this morning and thankfully it is an Art Blakey LP rather than a Jaco one.

Well that is good. I emailed them again today asking them about a progress with my replacement and also pointing out their back issues web page was no longer functioning. I hope I get a positive response and replacement soon. Any comments on the Drum Suite remaster yet?

I have had a reply from DeAgostini now saying I should receive a replacement for Drum Suite in 7 - 14 days, but no explanation as to why their back numbers web pages are down and they are still down this morning.

Now listening again to Sonny Rollins - 'The Bridge' Jazz 33 vinyl reissue that I have found to be better than my UK original pressing, but I expect that although not noisy has had a fair amount of wear from me over the years and was s/h when I brought it.

Now listening again to Sonny Rollins - 'The Bridge' Jazz 33 vinyl reissue that I have found to be better than my UK original pressing, but I expect that although not noisy has had a fair amount of wear from me over the years and was s/h when I brought it.

Just out of interest do you get occasional distortion in the left channel? I asked for a replacement because of that, and while the new LP is better there’s still a problem from time to time.

Just out of interest do you get occasional distortion in the left channel? I asked for a replacement because of that, and while the new LP is better there’s still a problem from time to time.

I was not sure what sort of distortion you are hearing. So I have had another listen to my copy this morning in case I missed anything and concentrating on Jim Hall and the left hand channel. A real pleasure, not a task with this music. :) With one very minor exception it is an excellent pressing. I hear just one very minor pressing buss 2/3rds through side two 'God Bless the Child' of less than a second. No other problems and Nothing I would return it for, otherwise it is a clean and very quiet pressing even in the 'dead wax'.

The real advantage of this mastering and pressing is the detail on Jim Hall's guitar and Harry Saunders brushed cymbals. I get a beautiful (image) of Jim Hall's Gibson S175 in the plane of my left speaker, but not appearing to come directly from it. Lovely tone and detail on the soft plucked transients. Still to the left, but inside of that I hear Harry Saunders brushed cymbals higher than Jim Hall, who seems to be seated and way back behind my front wall. On some of this there is detail I have never heard before, some really beautiful delicate cymbal work, especially behind Hall's solo on side one 'Where are You'. I also hear some very soft, but clear tape hiss above the cymbal work.

Jim Hall does a lot of bending of notes, especially on tracks like 'The Bridge' where if the detail were blurred it could possibly sound like a form of distortion? But I assume you are satisfied that your cartridge and setup can cope. I used an Ortofon Cadenza Blue in an SME V and cross checked some of the inner tracks with a Denon 103D in my L-07D's own arm with no problem, but less detail with this cartridge.

The only slight promblem I have with this reissue is in the mastering. In comparison with my original pressing Rollins tenor tone is quite a bit harder and he has been brought more forward in the mix to be in the plane of my right-hand speaker. In the original he is a little behind the speaker and his tone is better. His tone sounds better with the Denon rather than the Cadenza. The result of making him more prominent is that it is somewhat detrimental to the 'balance' with Hall's guitar. So it's 'swings and roundabouts' for me with this one. Excellent pressing, with great detail from Hall and Saunders with a slight downside to the 'mastering' for Rollins. :):(;)

Well DeAgostini were true to their word and I finally got my replacement copy of Drum Suite within 14 days and it is the correct one this time. They are a bit uninformed and slow with their responses, but they do get there in the end without a 'quibble'. My copy was purchased from my newsagent not direct and they did not ask for proof of purchase or the return of the defective copy.

Sounds pretty good with good space and depth to the recording despite being a mono recording. Prefer it played using my Denon 103D with its spherical tip rather than my Cadenza Blue. I must get around to getting a good mono cartridge to get full benefit from my mono records.

Well DeAgostini were true to their word and I finally got my replacement copy of Drum Suite within 14 days and it is the correct one this time. They are a bit uninformed and slow with their responses, but they do get there in the end without a 'quibble'. My copy was purchased from my newsagent not direct and they did not ask for proof of purchase or the return of the defective copy.

Sounds pretty good with good space and depth to the recording despite being a mono recording. Prefer it played using my Denon 103D with its spherical tip rather than my Cadenza Blue. I must get around to getting a good mono cartridge to get full benefit from my mono records.

Apart from the Blakey I've had to have a couple of albums replaced due to surface noise. Every time they were replaced without question and there was no need to return the defective LP. The replacements did arrive via registered post - presumably to stop people saying they'd never arrived and then asking for an additional copy.

My replacement arrived very well packed by Royal Mail signed for special delivery. All these replacements of Drum Suite must have cost them a bit unless it was the pressing plants mistake and they met the bill?

They now seemed to have moved to their third pressing plant. This copy was pressed by 'mpo' which is a French plant. The last few issues have been pressed by them and the ones I have generally seem to be pretty good, although perhaps not quiet as quite as Phonopress - Paullo Italy the first plant. It seems the second plant was the one giving most problems?

Although I didn't get a reply about their back numbers ordering page being down and it still is, they seemed to have a problem with the whole shopping part of their website and have now added a telephone ordering page: https://shop.deagostini.co.uk/
I think I may try phoning them to get the three issues I am missing from the series.

Freddie Hubbard, Ready for Freddie arrived today. Another cracking LP in this series. The usual excellent Blue Note sound.

Freddie Hubbard, Ready for Freddie arrived today. Another cracking LP in this series. The usual excellent Blue Note sound.

I'm a bit ahead of you as I got that about 2 months ago. It is excellent. This week I picked up 'Ella in Rome - The birthday concert'. I had not heard this before. Excellent 'fun' concert with Ella really enjoying herself, although it wasn't really her 40th birthday they were a year out!

My copy is OK and genearally sounds pretty good for a live concert in early stereo, but slight bit of sibilance in the mastering and this pressing not so quiet as usual in the dead wax.

Next up is Lee Morgan - 'Sidewinder'.

Last edited:
I'm a bit ahead of you as I got that about 2 months ago. It is excellent. This week I picked up 'Ella in Rome - The birthday concert'. I hand not this before. Excellent 'fun' concert with Ella really enjoying herself, although it wasn't really her 40th birthday they were a year out!

My copy is OK and genearally sounds pretty good for a live concert in early stereo, but slight bit of sibilance in the mastering and this pressing not so quiet as usual in the dead wax.

Next up is Lee Morgan - 'Sidewinder'.

I’m really enjoying the series. I just wish there was an easy way to remove the hologram things off the back of the sleeves - not because I’d want to pass them off as originals, there are DeAgostini copyright notices on them, but because I think they spoil the clean look of the sleeves.

Picked up Lee Morgan - 'Sidewinder' today and have just given it a spin. Mastering is very dynamic, perhaps pushing the limits of my Cadenza Blue cartridge in a couple of places? Lots of detail, you can hear Barry Harris's vocal muttering over his piano deep in the mix. 'Blat' of Morgan's trumpet nicely captured and good sense of depth and seperation to the recording, but perhaps a bit 'hard in the upper registers? (Digital glare)? I don't have a good early pressing to compare this with. I will try it with a different cartridge later.

They seem to have fully moved to the French 'mpo' pressing plant now. As I noted above not as quiet pressings as their first plant, but only really noticeable in the 'dead wax'.

Next up is issue 60, Jimmy Smith's - 'House Party'.

Deagostini appear to have been inspired by Tony’s PFM colour choice when rejigging their shop!

advertisement

Back