advertisement

De-Naimification Complete!! I Feel Cleansed...or do I?

This is something similar to my journey by following the NDS I ended up with so many boxes and extra kit that I stripped back down to 272/250DR but with better speakers, Focal Sopra 2.
Now I am looking at Vitus RI-100 with DAC board and have a Melco N1A driving the 24bit library via Entreq USB with Tellurium black on the speakers.

It is still a home demo and I have 1-2 weeks left, but so far the more natural and revealing Vitus feels very good, and now I just want to get a bit more used to all that extra info.

Also I agree the bass is very full and very very different, more part of the music for me, and it is easier also for me to listen to for longer periods. I also noted the expression at low volume levels was just as good as mid to higher volume levels.

This is something similar to my journey by following the NDS I ended up with so many boxes and extra kit that I stripped back down to 272/250DR but with better speakers, Focal Sopra 2.
Now I am looking at Vitus RI-100 with DAC board and have a Melco N1A driving the 24bit library via Entreq USB with Tellurium black on the speakers.

It is still a home demo and I have 1-2 weeks left, but so far the more natural and revealing Vitus feels very good, and now I just want to get a bit more used to all that extra info.

Also I agree the bass is very full and very very different, more part of the music for me, and it is easier also for me to listen to for longer periods. I also noted the expression at low volume levels was just as good as mid to higher volume levels.

See this is why I think theres bigger issues somewhere. I have my system playing 70% when I'm in and its always a joy to listen to. The bass is fast, clean and shakes the room, even at 30 on the volume control of the SuperUniti. Mids float around the room and highs are delicate and very nimble. Maybe Focal really shouldn't have bought naim ;)

See this is why I think theres bigger issues somewhere. I have my system playing 70% when I'm in and its always a joy to listen to. The bass is fast, clean and shakes the room, even at 30 on the volume control of the SuperUniti. Mids float around the room and highs are delicate and very nimble. Maybe Focal really shouldn't have bought naim ;)

I had a strange relationship with NAIM, sometimes my systems sound a million dollars, other times it just sounded very average, and I never knew why.

Having NAIM kit at nearly all levels and playing in many differing properties the one thing that I kept scratching my head over was why was I getting the annoying hum and why did the kit sometimes play so brilliantly and other times not.

I'm glad I am looking at other systems, but also appreciate that owning NAIM has transformed my listening appreciation to a level now that moving on from their signature sound and presentation feels entirely natural to do, or having changed I am back in a year or two missing that punchy drive :)

True! its just kit to play the end result, music, to our own personal liking :)

I think VITUS might just be the ticket, BUT... are you getting the best out of it also??? is the room/speaker issue sorted or can this improve things???? have you listened to the VITUS amp/s with other speakers and in another room???

These variables also need considering and investigating...

All very true also it does need testing in other areas and kit, I can only playback and compare 272 v Vitus and with the speakers and cabling I have at my disposal, good but not truly reflective as you rightly suggested.

I'm switching back to the 272 later then back to Vitus, and swapping NACA5 and Tellurium black.

USB DAC cable could do with another option, so a visit to my local Audio T is in order also.

One thing though, when you hear what can be done it is addictive and can be tremendously wallet busting hobby.

Yeah, indeed!! I once spent £22K on kit 10 days... That's when I took stock and went back to basics. Since then I've rebuilt the system to something very considered and bought thriftily.

Plus HiFi dealers know how to blow you... I only buy HiFi from pro-shops, private sales or demo units from a few trusted independent retailers.

I had a strange relationship with NAIM, sometimes my systems sound a million dollars, other times it just sounded very average, and I never knew why.

IMO it is because Naim stuff is not neutral. Their power amps are designed to provide a nice distribution of harmonic distortion and have modest damping factor. This gives them some of the attributes of some valve amps. Naim source components (at least the older ones) are noticeably coloured in their presentation. The effect is like sonic MSG, the Naim sound is interesting and flavourful, but sometimes you just want to taste the food.

IMO it is because Naim stuff is not neutral. Their power amps are designed to provide a nice distribution of harmonic distortion and have modest damping factor. This gives them some of the attributes of some valve amps. Naim source components (at least the older ones) are noticeably coloured in their presentation. The effect is like sonic MSG, the Naim sound is interesting and flavourful, but sometimes you just want to taste the food.

Thanks. I've had similar described like the difference between HiFi being delivered and just music replay with you as such.

The Vitus right now playing Tommy 96/24 the vocals and guitars are just alive, in the room.

These recurrent de-Naimification threads looks like gatherings of Alcoholic Anonymous, each showing his number of days, proud of having substituted alcohol with orange juice. But Naim is not an alcoholic addiction.

What exactly runs in this PFM family, with so many people spending most of their time explaining why they have chosen a brand against another?

Strange world.

Due to relocation I've moved from 552/300dr/SL2 to SU/Arcs. The sound is great (after 7 days silence during the move).

Indeed there is something strange about professing ones removal from a brand of Hi-Fi.

I've recently de-Sony-ified but have very little impetus to post about this Rubicon being passed.

I suppose in the same way there is a lot of sycophantic adulation on the Naim forum there is similar sycophancy among ex-Naimees here, for whatever strange psychological reason or herd mentality.

Nowt as queer as folk.

.sjb

Non-Non-Naim-Thread Starter Kit:

no longer a big Spendor
dwind-Linn
Pro-jectile vomit
speakers i'm Tannoyed with
Technics-al knockout
Kiseki me goodbye
Heed my warning
like a Lamm to the slaughter
like a Moth to the flame
i don't want you, Nordost anyone else
up shit Creek
ebola Cyrus
Hifiman, go away
cutting the Chord
Quad is dead

The effect is like sonic MSG, the Naim sound is interesting and flavourful, but sometimes you just want to taste the food.

Ah, someone who shares my analogy when I expressed the MSG effect all those years ago, way back in 2010.

I agree with DF that some electronics seem to pronounce leading edges. Naim certainly does, and I have long attributed that effect to the low-pass filter present in the NACs. I also call it the MSG effect.

These recurrent de-Naimification threads looks like gatherings of Alcoholic Anonymous, each showing his number of days, proud of having substituted alcohol with orange juice. But Naim is not an alcoholic addiction.

What exactly runs in this PFM family, with so many people spending most of their time explaining why they have chosen a brand against another?

Strange world.

Not sure, people do change it just goes to show how popular NAIM are that a lot of people own it so the percentage that change is larger maybe than other brands, why not perhaps see it as a compliment to their strength as a brand?

Due to relocation I've moved from 552/300dr/SL2 to SU/Arcs. The sound is great (after 7 days silence during the move).

Indeed there is something strange about professing ones removal from a brand of Hi-Fi.

I've recently de-Sony-ified but have very little impetus to post about this Rubicon being passed.

I suppose in the same way there is a lot of sycophantic adulation on the Naim forum there is similar sycophancy among ex-Naimees here, for whatever strange psychological reason or herd mentality.

Nowt as queer as folk.

.sjb

Hahaha! You know what? I am delighted to be labelled amongst the "queer folk"....god forbid that I should be "normal"...Lol!

Yes...fair cop.....we are all a bit crazy I guess...perhaps even psychologically challenged in some mysterious audiophile way.

Like many have said...I think threads like this are indeed a sort of homage to Naim given their status in audiophile circles. However, I had no intention of making this somehow serious in any way...rather my reason was based on humour...hence the use of the term "de-Naimification"....and "I feel cleansed...or do I?"

I really loved all my Naim gear and aspired to own and use it in my home for about 40 years, though could never afford it. I liked the look of it and the sound....maybe I should have just stayed with it and been happy with my lot? But you know what?...if people did that...then ultimately, there would be no need for these forums...as there would be very little to discuss. And manufacturers would be left waiting patiently for the next generation of HiFi buffs to emerge to buy their new products..as all the old guard were "happy with their lot" and were staying with it.

Anyway...a discussion in this forum is all about raising interest, spreading information, sharing experiences, having both serious and light-hearted discussions. All of which work together to stir up enthusiasm for our beloved interest in musical reproduction. So why limit our threads just because some folk may see some of them as "strange" or "odd" or unnecessary?

This one thread alone (as most others) generates interest and good discussions covering many topics as it inevitably grows arms and legs. That is what this forum is all about, surely. It is why I am a member and want to continue to be so. I have learned so much through pfm and also enjoyed the banter...sometimes laughing out loud!

Long may it continue :)

PS. My next thread may well be about "De-Vitusification" - so brace yourselves!

Non-Non-Naim-Thread Starter Kit:

no longer a big Spendor
dwind-Linn
Pro-jectile vomit
speakers i'm Tannoyed with
Technics-al knockout
Kiseki me goodbye
Heed my warning
like a Lamm to the slaughter
like a Moth to the flame
i don't want you, Nordost anyone else
up shit Creek
ebola Cyrus
Hifiman, go away
cutting the Chord
Quad is dead

See...? This is what it's all about! Good banter, and a bit of fun! I love it!

Crazy Andrew

Yes, these threads are educational as well as entertaining. I certainly take heed of others' experiences, which may be why I haven't been wrong-footed in choices of kit.

It's also a sotto voce tribute to Naim; whatever one's p.o.v., it's an enduring and universally recognised marque. I certainly don't regret my 30 year passage, but I'm bloody glad it's behind me as I've now found that dimension that I've probably always been hoping for, just to see me out (he says, tongue in cheek).:D

De-Vitusisation? Doesn't even sound right ! Just another band wagon but without separate power supplies. I would like to hear of top Vitus against Statements, though. Now there's a contest.

advertisement

Back