advertisement

Cyrus Unofficial forum : closed

One careful owner & from a smoke free zone :D (Not)

I once bought a similar amp to refurbish it, there was more smoke deposits on the PCB than there was ciggies in a supermarket, it was somewhat unloved.

Fast forward 6 months & I had a prime example of a Cyrus 2 that rocked especially after a PSX was added.

Nice little combo was that.

I don't get the spec, Balanced Out but not In. A MM Phono included? Supposed to be their Premier Pre surely you'd use the Phono Sig or have it on the horizon the real estate would have been better used for a Balanced In from the Phono Sig.

They desperately need a Steamer or Streamer/DAC that can compete with Naim/Linn/Auralic.

This is certainly into Naim territory.

The pre is meant to be better than DACXP Signature (2k) but it has headphones, phono stage, better DAC and more analogue inputs.

It is all about the reviews!

Overpriced for what they are. Possible to get much better performance at more realistic cost. Which is why I moved on my units a few years back.

Well example, a Nord SC 500 stereo power amp blew my Cyrus X300 Sig Monos out of the water. As Cyrus users can work out the prices of respective units. Phono Sig unit easily beaten by a Tron Convergence unit at similar price. Looking at prices listed earlier in the thread for new range, value for money not so sure. For those that want this range, good luck to you but there are other manufacturers out there, go find!

WPhono Sig unit easily beaten by a Tron Convergence unit at similar price. Looking at prices listed earlier in the thread for new range, value for money not so sure. For those that want this range, good luck to you but there are other manufacturers out there, go find!
You're not comparing Apples to Apples though - the Tron can't take 4 TT's, operate by remote or change loads on the fly and have custom inputs memorised. Some people don't want to undo the lid which is Torx Screwed to make changes.

I don't have a TT or use headphones so the new units don't interest me but that does not mean that they are no good.

Amber, apart from dealers who has 4 turntables? Agree the Phono Sig has many adjustments to suit MM or MC depending on cartridge being used. However, if someone has decided which particular TT/cartridge combination that they are very happy with and have no desire to change that combination, then the Tron wins on sound/performance. Also to get the best out of the Phono Sig you need to have a PSX-R2 connected to it so even more cost! Been there done that and after testing one against the other, saw the light.

Also done the comparisons. I and others on here have umpteen TTs. My other stage has 3 inputs so that’s 7 x Trons I need :)

I was merely pointing out the 2 items are aimed at very different markets.

If you read/accept the reviews the PSX is a given upgrade, I doubt very few Phono Sigs run without a PSX or don’t have one planned as an add on when funds allowed.

advertisement

Back