advertisement

Cycling log - random events in the day of a cyclist

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good idea, sounds a bit wild outside in Bolton
My bit of 'viral vertigo' turns out to be a cyst on my brain. Doubt I will be riding for a bit. At least I know for sure I didn't crash because I am rubbish offroad and not up to fitness, even though I am rubbish and not up to usual fitness.

Apologies. A double post. Do any of you ride overseas? I might be tempted to that. A road bike or a mountain bike?
Of course. I have done MTB riding in southern Spain, best done in spring and autumn, road biking on Majorca in spring, bikepacking in Provence (Tour d'Oisans, takes in Mt Ventoux so you can have your "Just put me back on the bike" moment), and a couple of laid back beer and bikes tours in Bavaria where your kit gets shipped to the next stop and you have all day to catch it up. Other people do the climbing on cable cars then go battering down black runs on full-suspension bikes in the Alps, take your pick.

Is it me, or has cycling become the new golf?
Every sport has its clubhouse warriors. The success of Team GB has raised the profile of cycling and changed it, it used to be a geek sport consisting mostly of aficionados who knocked off 100 mile circuits on Sunday mornings in November and then went home. These days they are still there, they have been joined by gangs of middle aged men who collect expensive toys to show off to their mates. The new arrivals are welcome, I'm more than happy to buy a 2 year old bike that has been used on half a dozen sunny weekends to cycle to the cake shop and is now available at half price because someone has got something newer and shinier.

Thank you. But I will be a right fat bastard if not riding sooner. Cyst now a 3cm3 mass so looking a bit more serious, getting sorted.
Shades of Ripping Yarns, Curse of the Claw. Uncle Jack: "Good luck Kevin! If you get back alive, I'll show you my cyst!"

Hope you get it sorted out soon. Then you can add it to your list. "Uncle Jack had had every disease known to man, along with a few that hadn't been discovered yet".

Last edited:
Shades of Ripping Yarns, Curse of the Claw. Uncle Jack: "Good luck Kevin! If you get back alive, I'll show you my cyst!"

Hope you get it sorted out soon. Then you can add it to your list. "Uncle Jack had had every disease known to man, along with a few that hadn't been discovered yet".
Cheers. Expecting them to tell me it's a space parasite sucking on my brain when I have my neuro appointment tomorrow. I know you have had your troubles but reeling off all my list of past injuries and mishaps for the doctors caused some raised eyebrows. Also a telling off for not bothering to attend hospital for many.

IME neurologists are a funny lot. When I was in hospital in several bits I went to see one consultant and he was more interested in chatting up his 20-something receptionist than looking at me. It seemed to be a case of "Do you need surgery? No? Well f* off then". Then again it might have been simply the fact that I didn't have a vagina. Even if I had I wouldn't have been letting him anywhere near it, and I don't think the receptionist felt very different. Good luck with yours. Consultant, that is.

Also hoping you soon get sorted and can be back on the bike. At least you'll be laid up during non-optimal cycling weather.

I just bloody sold my wahoo kickercos I hardly used it. Not going to risk rollers in this state, lethal as they are even when you have balance

Last edited:
30 miles today, not warm and windy as f*ck.

I've been warm, toasty and dry in my office all day, and not been out once, staring at source code trying to find a bug in a TCP/IP stack interface. Just sayin' that sometimes being out in the cold, wet, and wind is the lesser of two evils.

I dodged a bullet by having Monday and Tuesday off work. I went to work today and apart from a wee windy spell when I was leaving, I lucked out and got sunshine all day long :)

Working tomorrow though and I might end up taking the car as heavy snow is forecast

Rode out to my favourite pub yesterday to find an astonishingly large number of people standing outside with a TV crew in attendance. It turns out it has just been awarded CAMRA pub of the year again (last won 30 years ago). This was the presentation event and included free beer for all; result!

https://camra.org.uk/press_release/...r-250-years-is-named-the-best-in-the-country/

I had to limit my intake a little as my route back involves a downhill section that is easy to hit 40+mph with your brakes on. The other side includes a four mile grind up to where I live. As they say - It's getting hilly so don't be silly.

Rain and cold snot dripping off my nose when I stopped at the top of Ewden Bank, and with maybe an hour and a half of riding home to come, I had a ‘what am I doing out here?’ moment to myself this afternoon.

Felt much better after a short while though, and set off along a wet and wild Mortimer Road. Water running in waves across the road in places, a mix of Wednesday’s snow running off the hills and today’s rain, and some serious crosswinds after Strines Inn. Locked up the back wheel on a bend coming past some farms, just after a ‘caution: mud on road’ sign, though thankfully avoided sliding into a culvert. Made me laugh out loud, right after some swearing.

Nice cup of tea when I got in, looking like another weekend off the bike. Should probably give it a proper clean.

Cheers. Expecting them to tell me it's a space parasite sucking on my brain when I have my neuro appointment tomorrow. I know you have had your troubles but reeling off all my list of past injuries and mishaps for the doctors caused some raised eyebrows. Also a telling off for not bothering to attend hospital for many.

Good luck with your consultant, getting a good one can be much more than half the battle. Did you know that you can ask your GP to see a different one if you get one who's a card-carrying knob? You don't have to put up with them, take action. You can do that in somewhere the size of Bolton.

The Hell of the Ashdown [ Ashdown Forest sportive ] was cancelled today. 110km and 2,000m climbing. It is a real challenge in fair weather this time of year. Two of my brave/foolhardy friends rode it. Floods ( up to their bidons ) and fallen trees, they saw only one other cyclist in 5 hours. Chapeau.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back