advertisement

Cycling log - random events in the day of a cyclist

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, I only had 2 like that already.

I have 3 bikes in the garage rafters, 2 on the walls. Still room for a car. Easy. I can give you great tips on pulley arrangements to get the bikes up out of the way.

Thanks, I may take you up on that one day. However, I suspect you don't have a standard size single garage, with a loft preventing access to rafters, a sizeable workbench, a central heating boiler, some large PA speakers, and a resident rabbit in her luxury duplex hutch palace.

Didn't want to start a new thread for this so hope no-one minds me posting on this one, but wanted to share the news with those who may have heard of him that Roy Cox, the 6 time British champion sadly died quite suddenly on 23rd December.

He had been ill with cancer but as far as I have learned via my wife, who is a friend of his widow, he hadn't told anyone. I only met him a couple of times but he seemed a lovely chap. His funeral was yesterday, which was when I found out about his past.

My club is having a clear out in the kit shop prior to the introduction of a slightly modified design. We men have been encouraged to buy the remaining Ladies stock and up size. Tenner for a jersey or bib shorts. Bargain, so I took the plunge.
Now all my PFM Google banner ads try to sell me ladies clothes!!

My club is having a clear out in the kit shop prior to the introduction of a slightly modified design. We men have been encouraged to buy the remaining Ladies stock and up size. Tenner for a jersey or bib shorts. Bargain, so I took the plunge.
Now all my PFM Google banner ads try to sell me ladies clothes!!
:D my banner ads are for Wheelbase who are flogging off they're Cannondale Synapse stock in a clearance sale. Pretty spooky accurate, as Wheelbase is my local Cannondale dealer.

Off the bike for a bit.I was a bit (very) daft trying the Altura red trail at Whinlatter on my own earlier in the week - not just because I am not very good at the tricky suff but especially so as it turns out I've got some post viral vertigo thing going on. Managed a wobbly mile before I found myself plunging off the edge of the fire road and 20ft down an almost vertical ravine. According to Strava I was doing almost 30mph at the time. By some miracle I missed all the trees and rocks but it took me half an hour to climb out, throwing the bike up a few inches and then scrabbling up to repeat. Got away with just feeling very sick and a shagged left thigh muscle. Given this happened when I should have been at work (was on way back a site visit to Workington) it is fortunate that my boss is also a cyclist and enjoys laughing at my misshaps.

PS - I lied to my team, told them I fell down the stairs to explain the affected limp. I doubt any believed me. I should also add that after he finished pissing himself , my boss made me promise to stick to the blue runs when I am skiving. He's a good lad.

If you live in Sheffield & are a cyclist you feel blessed. No other city comes close.

Funny, I drive in and out through Woodseats and I've never noticed anything more than the usual kill zones at traffic lights, lanes that you share with buses, taxis and parked cars and sometimes the odd super thin cycle way. Oh and it's got more than it's fair share of endless climbs. The tramlines must be a menace as well.

PS - I lied to my team, told them I fell down the stairs to explain the affected limp. I doubt any believed me. I should also add that after he finished pissing himself , my boss made me promise to stick to the blue runs when I am skiving. He's a good lad.

There is something inherently funny about cycle accidents, they look like Laurel & Hardy from a car. What they don't realise is the sheer bloody terror of the moment as your wheels lock up and you slide towards your doom. They also don't realise that a cyclist's crumple zone is their hip or knee.

I was riding to school once back when winter was Winter and it had snowed, leaving a load of slush by the side of the road. I was riding in the 3 foot gap between that and a line of cars queuing up for a roundabout when suddenly, without looking at all, a guy on the pavement about 3 feet in front of me decides to cross the road. Somehow I swerved violently and avoided rupturing his spleen with my brake levers but in doing so I skidded and wiped out in the slush.

I arose, covered from head to foot with slush, with violent retribution in mind when he said "Where's your bell?". I was so flabbergasted that he managed to walk away before I could regain my grip on reality. I would dearly love to give him a bicycle bell enema to this day. Then he could try ringing the damn bell.

Funny, I drive in and out through Woodseats and I've never noticed anything more than the usual kill zones at traffic lights, lanes that you share with buses, taxis and parked cars and sometimes the odd super thin cycle way. Oh and it's got more than it's fair share of endless climbs. The tramlines must be a menace as well.
Well we have 80 ancient woodlands, the Peak District within our boundaries etc etc. Woodseats is a grim area for traffic but I don’t live there. Tramlines have claimed a few victims but they are avoidable. Not really sure what your point is, cyclists like hills.

Not really sure what your point is, cyclists like hills.
I would be a track cyclist really. Tried it once and was pretty good. The shorter the distance the better I get. School 100m Champ. Built like a brick ****house and 15st I (literally) don't fit the normal endurance cyclist profile.
Though I have done cross-countrys, 10Ks and been known to hawl myself up a few hills in the Peaks. As a commuter in Manchester the only hills are the bridges over the canals!
Sheffield's great.

(fellow Manc commuter) I used to ride a lot at the velodrome, weekly evening training sessions after getting accredited. Mostly good fun and great for building speed. I got thrown off for swearing at a coach and have not been back. I miss the riding but not the cliquey club boorishness, doubt I could hack the pace now.

Beautiful yesterday afternoon in the Peak, out to Bradfield, across the Strines, low sun reflecting off Ladybower, just lovely. Got filthy taking a shortcut to Hope on some farm tracks... erm, past where I keeled over a few months back, trackstanding in some mud whilst waiting for a car.

Hadn’t planned to, but plodded up Winnats for the first time in a while. A bit of a slog, even in 34x30, but worth it for the big sky at the top of Mam Tor. As Greg LeMond didn’t once say, it never gets easier, you just get slower.

Beautiful yesterday afternoon in the Peak, out to Bradfield, across the Strines, low sun reflecting off Ladybower, just lovely. Got filthy taking a shortcut to Hope on some farm tracks... erm, past where I keeled over a few months back, trackstanding in some mud whilst waiting for a car.

Hadn’t planned to, but plodded up Winnats for the first time in a while. A bit of a slog, even in 34x30, but worth it for the big sky at the top of Mam Tor. As Greg LeMond didn’t once say, it never gets easier, you just get slower.
I really dislike Winnats, not so much the hill which is horrible but the bloody cars which close pass you in both directions. Very busy road. Out to Bakewell today via loxley/strines/Baslow & back via Froggatt, lovely day for it.

Ignored the road closed signs on one of my favourite downhill stretches. Roads are rarely impassable on a bike but the driver of the flatbed SUV who tried to drive around the deep hole in the road ended up with his front driver's side wheel deeply embedded not to mention a smashed bumper/ front wing! He asked whether we could help by getting on the back and levelling him up. It was quite a sight, ten or so fully cleated up cyclists climbing on to the back of his truck! Good deed for the day done!

I really dislike Winnats, not so much the hill which is horrible but the bloody cars which close pass you in both directions. Very busy road. Out to Bakewell today via loxley/strines/Baslow & back via Froggatt, lovely day for it.
Ah, I understand what you mean by Sheffield, you mean the locality not the city. I was more of a street cyclist and I had no particular love for hills.

Ah, I understand what you mean by Sheffield, you mean the locality not the city. I was more of a street cyclist and I had no particular love for hills.
Yes, I don’t really do urban cycling. Amazing MTB trails here & Strines Moor is a great place to cycle if you like hills

I saw two guys out on their bikes today, not at the same time. Me? No chance - it's proper wet and windy out there!

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back