advertisement

Cycling log - random events in the day of a cyclist

Status
Not open for further replies.
I didn't mind the cold if it wasn't windy. The air is that much denser so you get an extra charge of oxygen with each breath and you don't sweat as much.

The :mad: wind OTOH - how come it blows straight in your face going somewhere and I swear exactly the same coming back? Aaaarrrrgghhhhhhh!!!!!!!!

Just been looking at the forecast for Derby on the BBC, and apart from this Sunday when the wind drops to 12 mph or so, it'll be the thick end of 20mph every day until March 4th :(

It stopped raining here today, then the wind dropped and the sun came out. Got my clobber on and went out for a scoot down the coast road. Christ on a bike, big error of judgement what with the crosswind, along with the sand that was getting whipped up off the road and blasted into my face. A slow grind back home, so it was.

It stopped raining here today, then the wind dropped and the sun came out. Got my clobber on and went out for a scoot down the coast road. Christ on a bike, big error of judgement what with the crosswind, along with the sand that was getting whipped up off the road and blasted into my face. A slow grind back home, so it was.

Does your bike have sealed bearings for the headset / bottom bracket / wheel hubs? If not then 'grind' :eek: might be the operative word if there's lots of high speed fine sand about.

Does your bike have sealed bearings for the headset / bottom bracket / wheel hubs? If not then 'grind' :eek: might be the operative word if there's lots of high speed fine sand about.
It's a 3 month old Cannondale Topstone gravel bike. It went through a council bike wash on my home, as the country lane I nipped down was flooded up to the bottom bracket. I gave it some TLC when I got home (◕‿◕✿)

the crosswind...

Erm, yeah. Had some entertaining moments this afternoon, especially on the long twisty descent into Hathersage, and even thought about unclipping at one point. Bright sunshine though, none of that rain, loads of water running off the fields, pretty muddy, bits of trees everywhere, and the rivers still haven't calmed down - the Derwent was fairly whizzing along through Grindleford.

Great to get out again, as I think I was starting to get a little grouchy after nine days off the bike and hadn't reduced the biscuit intake at all. Could have done without fixing a puncture with a filthy bike and freezing February fingers, but felt pretty fit on the way home (quite a tailwind might've helped there!)

Got passed by a ridiculously loud (unrestricted) e-bike on a short rise just before I got in, which made me smile. Cup of tea, chocolate Hobnobs, feeling sleepy...

Got passed by a ridiculously loud (unrestricted) e-bike on a short rise just before I got in, which made me smile. Cup of tea, chocolate Hobnobs, feeling sleepy...

I got dropped on the struggle by an old boy on an e-bike. He was apologising profusely as he came past :D I just managed to catch the bike brand "Rad Power" in bold lettering.

Could have done without fixing a puncture with a filthy bike and freezing February fingers

There's a unique type of loneliness when you've broken down, it's dark, cold, wet and windy, you've got a long way to go and it's up to you to fix it. Having cars whizzing past just adds to it as they're no help.

Good to hear that you've got all the right gear for a puncture repair. How do you find it with cold fingers?

How do you find it with cold fingers?

Only had thin softshell gloves on as it wasn't that cold, though chilly enough to be rushing it once I took the gloves off. It was only after I'd cleaned myself up and given it >100 goes on the mini pump that I realised the tyre wasn't in the rim properly, and that was another few minutes faffing. I've had far worse though.

the newly ‘repaired’ Abney climb...

Blimey, that was quick. One of my favourites. I made it past the barriers right after it shut (bike up and over the fence, a few steps on the mossy wall - not sensible in cleats, so didn't try again) and had no idea. Yeah, must've been a nice head/crosswind today. Take it easy, and thanks for this.

My Rims are // WTB ST i23 TCS, 28h, tubeless ready and the Tyres // WTB Nano TCS, 700 x 40c, tubeless ready.

I fitted some SKS mudguards and the sodding tyres rubbed, so ended up swapping them out for some Schwalbe G Ones I had knocking about in my shed. What an absolute b*st*rd it was getting the WTB's off the rims. My tyre levers were useless. I have several various lever brands and the ones inside my saddle pack were utter crap for the task in hand. They're OK for my MTB mind.

I had to put the wheels in a vice. Nipping the tyre in the jaws and then bending the wheel away from me until it popped the seal. If I'd suffered a puncture at the roadside I'd've been stranded. No way could I get those tyres off without the use of brute force, and glad I was in my shed and not at the roadside.

I think I'll be going tubeless when the Schwalbe wear out, as the thought of getting a puncture fills me with dread given the struggle I had.

Blimey, that was quick. One of my favourites. I made it past the barriers right after it shut (bike up and over the fence, a few steps on the mossy wall - not sensible in cleats, so didn't try again) and had no idea. Yeah, must've been a nice head/crosswind today. Take it easy, and thanks for this.
It has a collection of those concrete bricks to stop cars going up, they are a little tricky to navigate so don’t descend from the other side.

It has a collection of those concrete bricks to stop cars going up, they are a little tricky to navigate so don’t descend from the other side.

Oh ok. I saw the closed sign at the bottom on my way past today, and thought it'd be shut until the summer maybe.

Watch out for a shouty little black dog at the cottages if you take the left fork just before the last rise to the gliding club... he's a quick runner. : )

Oh ok. I saw the closed sign at the bottom on my way past today, and thought it'd be shut until the summer maybe.

Watch out for a shouty little black dog at the cottages if you take the left fork just before the last rise to the gliding club... he's a quick runner. : )
I’ve never taken the left fork, didn’t know it was passable

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back