advertisement

Cycling log - random events in the day of a cyclist

Status
Not open for further replies.
Riding past Stanage Edge yesterday in bright sunshine, I spotted some low cloud about 10 km away around the hills past Castleton, so set off for a closer look...

Approaching Edale, the temperature suddenly dropped loads, before the gathering mist turned into a proper ground-level cloud inversion before the bottom of Mam Nick, densely drifting across the road ahead. Was excellent! Almost alpine in the way it cleared at the top, the sun came back, and I was looking down on the top of the fluffy clouds I'd ridden through in the valley, before the clouds returned on the way down into a murky Castleton.

No camera on my tiny weight-weenie's phone, so no pics, but as I've just been trying to find out when it snowed last winter, here's the same descent from a ride this week last year...

190119-2.jpg

Brrrr.

I picked up an N+1 this weekend. A "Cycles Gitane" 10 speed racer from the 80's decent order, lower level spec steel framed affair but my size and handy for tootling around town this summer. £40. Why not? I don't need it, but who cares? I'd spend that on tyres.

An excellent 'pub bike', at the very least.

Sadly, I am on a two bike limit at home. If all the family had two, the garage would require some truly innovative storage solutions, so I already have more than my fair share, I suppose. I quite fancy a Brompton or (more likely) budget equivalent, for taking on public transport, or just slinging in the back of the car without taking up the whole boot. As it would fold-up, I don't think it really counts...

I picked up an N+1 this weekend. A "Cycles Gitane" 10 speed racer from the 80's decent order, lower level spec steel framed affair but my size and handy for tootling around town this summer. £40. Why not? I don't need it, but who cares? I'd spend that on tyres.
Funny I did much the same - I just wanted some drop handlebars to build a touring bike for my daughter. When I went to collect them locally the owner said I could just take the whole bike, which looks in decent condition. It was 10 Euros! Of course now I need to find a set of handlebars for it....

Funny I did much the same - I just wanted some drop handlebars to build a touring bike for my daughter. When I went to collect them locally the owner said I could just take the whole bike, which looks in decent condition. It was 10 Euros! Of course now I need to find a set of handlebars for it....
I think I'm about to be given yet another bike. If you come to Leeds you can have the drop bars from it.

An excellent 'pub bike', at the very least.
Yes, I only had 2 like that already.

Sadly, I am on a two bike limit at home. If all the family had two, the garage would require some truly innovative storage solutions.
I have 3 bikes in the garage rafters, 2 on the walls. Still room for a car. Easy. I can give you great tips on pulley arrangements to get the bikes up out of the way.

Lovely vintage velo. The Badger won the 1979 TdF on an Olympic Gitane.

He didn't win it on this model! It's not your double butted doodah with featherweight wheels, it's a standard welded steel job, steel rims and standard kit. Nice though and it will be great around town this summer.

I love this man...

Hinault.jpg

Thanks, I had to look that one up. Some of his later ones (the LVC Reynolds 753s and early TVTs) aren't bad either.

Does that mean Zoetemelk didn't win the following year on my big bro's Raleigh Europa?
Dunno. He probably did, if he lent it to him.

I've a dull ache in my shins this evening...

Cut short an afternoon ride because of heavy rain, though thanks to a strong tailwind and feeling pretty fresh up the long drag from Grindleford to Fox House, I decided to turn back down towards Hathersage (Surprise View a stunner today with a light dusting of snow on the hill tops), then back up to Burbage Bridge with the same tailwind.

Started absolutely chucking it down again, so I thought I'd try riding all 2.5 km or so of the climb out of the saddle to get home asap, and to my surprise, made it to the top. (Almost an unplanned off-road excursion whilst looking at some horses notwithstanding.) I'll be fine tomorrow, but my legs now... ouch.

Turns out I'm not Verbier '09 Contador, after all.

Nottingham, please.

I was thinking of the iron/steel source. How about Sheffield pig iron meticulously handcrafted into a bicycle shaped object in Nottingham.

I wish I could get to the peak district for a bike ride. It's not bad here west of Boston, but it's nothing to rival the peaks.

I was thinking of the iron/steel source. How about Sheffield pig iron meticulously handcrafted into a bicycle shaped object in Nottingham.

I wish I could get to the peak district for a bike ride. It's not bad here west of Boston, but it's nothing to rival the peaks.
Wait until the summer. Then the area west of the other Boston is at its best.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back