advertisement

Cycling log - random events in the day of a cyclist

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rain, snow and hail here yesterday so I spent an hour sewing up the holes in my ancient neoprene overshoes and mitts, in the hope that it might dry up enough that I'll get a chance to get some more use out of them. Forecast is good (5c, light showers) on Saturday morning, so maybe ride then.

A Derby man is recovering with a cup of tea following the discovery of some "dry tarmac" a few miles west of Derby city. The man involved said: "I was doing my usual 35 mile loop, when I noticed that some sections of road were a nice matt grey, rather than shiny black as is usually the case - there must have been several kilometers of the stuff, it's just weird!"
Mr Taylor is 65.

I saw that and logged on today to post but you beat me to it. VERY GOOD.

Strong gusting wind from the south veering south east and interacting with the new skyscrapers in Mcr made for very difficult first stage of commute home. I fear for what will happen to cyclists and pedestrians with the airflow generated by those buildings.

The "Dalek" in Leeds City Centre has had to have wind blocking panels erected on the road nearby. There were a number of vehicles blown over on windy days and IIRC there was even a woman killed after a van blew over and fell on her.

I had two rear tyre punctures/explosions the other week so bought a pair of graphene tyres. Not sure if it's just a gimmick but I keep thinking that I'm going a bit quicker than normal (Garmin free) but I'm sure that cutting down the booze and junk food is more of a factor.

Cheers

Tony

Rear tyre on road bike down to 60psi this a.m. when I opened the shed. Combination of cold and loose/faulty valve. Pumped it up and had a paranoia commute...still OK on arrival.
No front disc braking on a couple of occasions which was a bit alarming. Temperature related again?

I had my first off this year on Saturday morning: I found a rogue patch of ice and promptly hit the deck. Thankfully, it was at the top of a hill I about to cycle down so at least my speed was still in check - five or ten seconds later and I would have been flying in more ways than one!

Aches and scrapes for me and my bike seems fine, so nothing major. More a case of what could've been rather than was, as it were. Take care out there, winter ain't over till it's over!

Glad you're OK. Ice is scary stuff - never know when you might hit a patch, and the road can be very icy even when air temperatures are well about freezing (3C)

Glad you're OK. Ice is scary stuff - never know when you might hit a patch, and the road can be very icy even when air temperatures are well about freezing (3C)

I try to ride off road when it is very cold. it is generally less slippery when there is ice about, I am generally going more slowly and there is less wind chill especially when riding in the forest. Wins all round.

I had my first off this year on Saturday morning: I found a rogue patch of ice and promptly hit the deck. Thankfully, it was at the top of a hill I about to cycle down so at least my speed was still in check - five or ten seconds later and I would have been flying in more ways than one!

Aches and scrapes for me and my bike seems fine, so nothing major. More a case of what could've been rather than was, as it were. Take care out there, winter ain't over till it's over!
Low speed falls can sometimes do more damage, I fractured my hip at less than 10mph.

Low speed falls can sometimes do more damage, I fractured my hip at less than 10mph.

I believe it - my knee took a fair whack on the way down and I could hardly bend it for the rest of the day. It's bruised but otherwise fine now, but yeah, low-speed falls can still do some damage. Hope your hip is fully operational.

I try to ride off road when it is very cold. it is generally less slippery when there is ice about, I am generally going more slowly and there is less wind chill especially when riding in the forest. Wins all round.

The problem here is that the off road trails are snow/ice covered for most of the winter, where the streets are plowed and salted. Otherwise I agree. Offroad offers less wind chill in winter, and more shade from the sun in summer. And fewer cars trying to kill you.

I believe it - my knee took a fair whack on the way down and I could hardly bend it for the rest of the day. It's bruised but otherwise fine now, but yeah, low-speed falls can still do some damage. Hope your hip is fully operational.
Nope, unfortunately not, 2 years post op & I have the start of avascular necrosis. Still cycling but not like I was.

Nope, unfortunately not, 2 years post op & I have the start of avascular necrosis. Still cycling but not like I was.
Hope this can be sorted! I've a mate who's had a fair few road bike accidents and one I remember is him hitting a drystone wall and ended up with a false hip and a de-gloved scalp, horrific injury and still gives me the shivers to this day. Always wear a helmet now. He's got two replacement hips and still riding Sunday club rides at 70 plus years of age.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back