advertisement

Cycling log - random events in the day of a cyclist

Status
Not open for further replies.
Was looking to buy a new cycle light for my wife and I saw this review (for a Cateye Ampp, which seems a decent enough model):

'I bought this light just over a week ago for my friend who cycles to work. He had a light that was so dull, he cant be seen in low light and has nearly been knocked off his bike on several occasions. I decided to buy the light for him so not only could he be well seen by other road users, but also so that he could see where he was going. Its definitely a decent light and even made his mother cry at the fact someone cared enough to buy him something decent that would also help keep him safe'

It warmed the cockles of my heart. :)

Perhaps there is someone in your life who needs a similar gift this festive season?

New Bike Day!

I bought this Boardman Hybrid 8.8 from a Cash Generator store here in Glasgow this afternoon. I wouldn't normally buy anything other than a CD or DVD from Cash Generator but the guy told me it came from the supplier, so I hope that means it wasn't stolen or that they didn't give some poor soul peanuts for it.

Anyway, this particular bike was essentially brand new with all the factory stickers in place and no sign of dust or dirt anywhere in sight. The only defect, as it were - and presumably the reason they had it in the shop in the first place - was that it had a few tiny chips on the paintwork. And I mean tiny: you'd struggle to see them from more than a few feet away.

Although I didn't bother adjusting the saddle to optimise my riding position (I'll do it tomorrow), the ride home was incredible all the same. I mean, compared to cycling on my aging Triban 3, it was incredibly comfortable (that's a comment on the condition of Glasgow's roads more than anything) and the brakes worked. Like, I thought I was going to fly over the handlebars-worked! Scary stopping power, but 100% effective.

It just so happens I was thinking of buying this Voodoo Limbo from Halfords for £360 to use as an alternative/fun bike to my Triban 3. But considering I paid just £375 for the 'as new' Boardman, I'm quite pleased I never got round to it.

My plan is to keep on using my Triban 3 as my commuter and use the Boardman for dry weather, mudguard-free fun :)

“As new” and “from the supplier” sounds like it may be a warranty return or credit purchase gone wrong of some sort that Halfords are offloading through Cash Generator. Great Spec of a bike for what you paid for it.

Very nice bike Derek. Winter has set in here with a vengence. We've had snow on the ground and icy pavements and side roads for over a week. Rain is currently washing some of it away, but it's forecast to change from rain to snow on Wednesday morning and then freeze hard for the remainder of the week. Grrr. I guess I'll be on the $100 spin bike watching netflix this week.

Winter hasn't been too bad over here, Sean. Wet stuff, windy stuff and cold stuff. White stuff? Thankfully, not yet. Good luck with the spin bike and/or stay safe when you're out on the white stuff yourself :)

I do wonder how much Cash Generator paid for the bike if they could afford to sell it at £375 (fwiw, it was priced at £400 but I chanced my arm and asked for discount), although I wouldn't be surprised if they bought a number of bikes as part of an off-loading agreement; whether customer returns/ credit purchase fails/ cosmetic imperfections or whatever.

I do wonder how much Cash Generator paid for the bike if they could afford to sell it at £375 (fwiw, it was priced at £400 but I chanced my arm and asked for discount), although I wouldn't be surprised if they bought a number of bikes as part of an off-loading agreement; whether customer returns/ credit purchase fails/ cosmetic imperfections or whatever.
They may be last year's models and disposed of because they have a couple of dings from display, test rides or whatever. Halfords don't want to sell them as it cheapens their offer and impedes sales of their new shiny bikes at full price. It's like the car dealers disposing of the PX cars. They want you to sign up to a new one at £x a month, and the last thing they want is for you to look at a PX that came in last week and say "hang on, if I can have that used one for £5k, that's a lot of car for only 2 years worth of the lease" and buy that instead. It looks like a really nice machine and a month or two's use will have the scuffs invisible as you will have added your own.

The 2019 cycling year is coming to a close, and as I near six decades it doesn't look like I'm going to be ascending those 3000 ft. grades anytime soon. On the other hand, it was a good year for finding stuff out and about, especially those stainless steel water bottles. I've managed five of them so far. I'd have several more, but after 5 I started ignoring them. Who are these people who leave $15-$20 bottles on a park bench or next to a sign pole or leaning against a tree?

Anyway, the list is good: Rayban sunglasses, 30ft. tow chain w/hooks (had to come back in my car for that one), two nice bike lights, both rear mount. Four shirts - one tie-dye was especially nice, as was the nearly new Baltimore Orioles tee. A road marred middling pair of Sennheiser eadbuds. A few wrenches (one Snap-On) and a multi-tool for bikes ... two wallets - returned one, the other had been pillaged and discarded. I'm sure I'm forgetting something but those are the highlights.

I can't remember finding anything good this year but last year I found 2 Facom sockets in a drain. One a 10mm too, bingo. Normally you find the 7mm and 16mm sizes and they are useless.

I guess it helps that I'm in a rural area that's seen ridiculous gentrification over the past decade. I think some of these folks have more money than attention spans. Or maybe the meds. There are two parks I often ride through and that's where I've found most of the stuff in the early AM.

i bought a kickr core and a zwift subscription. the combo makes indoor cycling much more enjoyable than a basic trainer. it's a lot less expensive than a peloton, if you have a bike and either a computer or mobile device.

i bought a kickr core and a zwift subscription. the combo makes indoor cycling much more enjoyable than a basic trainer. it's a lot less expensive than a peloton, if you have a bike and either a computer or mobile device.
Hmm. I have an old TACX basic trainer and tyre, Very tempted to get a Bluetooth speed and cadence sensor and a Zwift subscription for a bit of indoor cycling this winter. My bike use has seriously dwindled since my last attack of lower back pain in September and my cycling condition is now worse than I can ever remember it being.

@foxwelljsly My previous trainer was an old TACX drum-on-tire trainer. Not bad, but I found it hard to memorize various training programs, and, more or less, did the same one every time. With smart trainers, you don't have to think.

Torrential rain and a headwind.
Closest ever near miss with a pedestrian as they crossed in traffic and walked straight into the cycle lane. 6 inches. Disc brakes rule in the wet.

Hoping to get out in a bit but mojo is low at the moment as I am not able to reach my previous peaks of mediocrity. A displaced fracture of the femural neck 18 months ago appears to have done for me in the near term.

Like an ejit came off on the tram tracks. Lucky...came down on shoulder and elbow but think it's just bruising.
Bike OK I think.

Blimey. You've not had a good couple of weeks. Watch out - they say these things come in threes!

Glad you (and pedestrian from first incident) are OK. I recommend giving the bike a careful examination in good lighting, particularly frame and fork, just in case some damage has been caused that you didn't notice at first. I almost missed the frame distortion after my accident last month: it took a few days before I felt able to examine the bike dispassionately and methodically. From your description, I would guess it would be OK, but better safe than sorry.

Kind regards

- Garry

Thanks Garry.
Schoolboy error on my part as I took it at too acute an angle.
Had a look at the bike in good light before riding home and it looks fine...it was just a slight skid.
Loaded up on paracetamol and ibuprofen.

Closest ever near miss with a pedestrian as they crossed in traffic and walked straight into the cycle lane. 6 inches. Disc brakes rule in the wet.
You clearly don't cycle in London! When I was a student I had 3 collisions in a year with pedestrians and this was 30 years ago! One had me over the bars and almost going sprawling, another was a big fat guy and I literally brushed against his stomach as he stepped off the kerb, and most amusingly there was a Japanese chap who strolled out into a bus lane and I collected him. I stood the bike on its nose and jumped over the bars, then caught him in my arms as I landed. He then said what I imagined to be "Bloody hell!" in Japanese, then "Err....I Sorry" in English, whereupon I dusted him off, replied "that's OK", gave him a pat on the shoulders and picked my bike up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back